Beekman

OHIO CFE

11 posts in this topic

Courtesy of Henry Campbell

Ohio: New state law establishes training rules for firefighters

By DOUG STALEY

Doug.Staley@IndeOnline.com

Link to article: http://www.indeonline.com/index.php?ID=239...&Category=1

Firefighters in Ohio will soon be playing by a new set of rules.

While the changes aren't dramatic, they will require firefighters to seek

ongoing training and certification.

The new state law, which takes effect Thursday, also establishes new

training and education standards.

Firefighters have always received training through their respective

departments, but under the new law, they will be required to complete 24

hours of continuing education - either hands-on or in a classroom setting -

each year. Firefighters will be recertified every three years.

In the past, firefighters were certified once upon initial approval of their

application. The law does not change the old requirement of 36 hours of

training for a volunteer firefighter.

The law also gives the Ohio EMS Board's Fire And Fire Safety Inspector

Training Committee more authority to investigate disciplinary issues

involving firefighters.

Most local fire officials view the new rules as a positive step, one that

will benefit both departments and residents. Even so, the training

requirements could create financial concerns for some departments.

Massillon Fire Chief Tom Burgasser believes any added expenses will be worth

it.

He said the state has taken the certification process for paramedics and

expanded to fire service.

"I've said all along that we need uniform training and operations throughout

the department. ... When you need each other, you should be able to help

each other," Burgasser said. "I choose to look at the positive aspects of

it. I think this will recognize (firefighting) as a profession and develop

training experiences that are recognized across the state."

Citizens will benefit, he said, because it will create an increased

administrative commitment to training.

That's not to say training isn't already a priority with departments.

"It won't change any of my goals," Burgasser said. "I've always wanted to

have a uniform, consistent training program."

Perry Township Chief Deputy Larry Sedlock also said he supports ongoing

training and certification of firefighters.

"I think it's a very good idea to have continuing education," Sedlock said.

"It helps to keep our skills sharp in what we do. It's no different than

EMS. There can never be enough education in fire and EMS service."

The new rules shouldn't result in many changes for the department, Sedlock

said, other than providing more documentation to the state. Sedlock noted

regular training already is offered to the department's firefighters.

"Our training will continue to be as it has been," Sedlock said. "We take a

lot of pride in our training at Perry. Our main thing is make sure

everything is documented. I don't feel it will need to change much, if at

all."

Jackson Township Fire Chief Ted Heck also expects the changes to be a

"non-issue" for his department. Heck said the department already does

extensive training throughout the year. In fact, the department employs a

full-time training captain, he said.

Heck's only concern over the new standards is how they could affect smaller

departments, which often work with tighter budgets.

"I don't dispute the need for those type of mandates, but again they are

dumping something in the laps of departments and providing no funding," Heck

said. "I think it will take six or eight months to shake itself out. There

will be departments that won't be able to comply immediately."

The new standards should create more accountability and expose firefighters

to the latest developments in equipment and techniques, according to Randy

Stuck, local president of the International Association of Fire Fighters

Local 251 and a 27-year veteran of the Massillon Fire Department.

"I think it's a good idea as long as everyone is going to be treated the

same so that no matter where you go, you know the job is going to be done,"

Stuck said.

Way to go Ohio!

This has been a topic of discussion for quite a while amongst fire instructors and those looking to improve the fire service as a whole. I actually wrote an article about this topic, but it didn't get published. Smart idea to ensure that firefighters stay up to par in changing tactics and skills. There are many other emergency services that require continuing ed and its about time the fire service caught up.

Interesting point - although my understanding is that in NY there is an 8 hour OSHA / PESH annual renewal, annual hazmat awaress training, annual bloodborne pathogens training that is required by law. However, there are places where even that isn't done - or at the very least lip service is paid and documentaiton written up for some iffy situations.

Who polices the fire departments for compliance? Is it because of that good ole Home Rule stuff that this isn't such a big issue?

Being from Ohio I can tell you that this is a sore subject for some people. I konw last year when this law was in the pipeline my dept was very proactive and held a 48hr FF refresher for our dept personal, witch is in addition to monthly shift training and our monthly EMS training, I can only imagine that con-ed will be comming for inspectors, witch I can't really see how they are going to make that avalable since a code update is only done every couple of years being only offered in certain locations. All and all I think this is a good law and step in the right direction and hopefully get rid of some of the hobby firefighters.

Leave it to Chief HAC to find something like this. I'd also like to see if there was a fall out in the number of FF's in the Ohio dpeartments and what they did to supplement the departments to insure they had proper response.

We should be moving in this direction but we arent or at least not moving very fast. The new fire fighter one courses combined with safety and survival will give the firefighter a bear minium for expopsure into the world of firefighting.

Every fire Department should have a requirement FF1 and survival as the standard and then increase it for other officers.

Some Departments are way ahead of the curve and thats a good thing, some are so slow at getting the message that they are stuck in the past.

lets all move in the right direction togeather and togeather we can make the future safer for our firefighters anad ouor citizens.

although my understanding is that in NY there is an 8 hour OSHA / PESH annual renewal, annual hazmat awaress training, annual bloodborne pathogens training that is required by law.

Monty you are correct, however from some of the departments I've observed the quality of the "OSHA" training is questionable at best and some don't even follow the full spectrum of what is needed, referencing your posting of BBP and its 8 hours of HazMat Ops refresher that is required. Not to mention there is no real control outside of departments with professional members of who delivers the training. While I'm not a cookbook, textbook instructor there are certain things that are the same no matter where you would operate and I've also been witness to misinformation or flat out incorrect information being covered at drills. If more states got involved there would be a better system of training, delivered by qualified individuals who have curriculums to base their training off of and teach not by personal opinion by accepted fire service practices. This would also open up refresher courses delivered by fire instructors on a state and county and MTO level for firefighters to come in and get up to date information, tactics and skills.

ajs...I can't see how it would affect departments that negatively. IMO most of those who wouldn't qualify wouldn't be the ones that are all that available or proficient in any means. The taking of state courses would qualify towards hours and would be a positive thing across the board.

The days of taking initial firefighter training and then that is all you might take for the next 20 years needs to end.

ALSBear, firefighter fallout in Ohio wont be seen for alittle bit because the law has just gone into effect, but give it a year or two and then you will start to see the fallout, and like i said in my last post you will weed out the hobby firefighters.

Monty you are correct, however from some of the departments I've observed the quality of the "OSHA" training is questionable at best and some don't even follow the full spectrum of what is needed, referencing your posting of BBP and its 8 hours of HazMat Ops refresher that is required. Not to mention there is no real control outside of departments with professional members of who delivers the training. While I'm not a cookbook, textbook instructor there are certain things that are the same no matter where you would operate and I've also been witness to misinformation or flat out incorrect information being covered at drills. If more states got involved there would be a better system of training, delivered by qualified individuals who have curriculums to base their training off of and teach not by personal opinion by accepted fire service practices. This would also open up refresher courses delivered by fire instructors on a state and county and MTO level for firefighters to come in and get up to date information, tactics and skills.

ajs...I can't see how it would affect departments that negatively. IMO most of those who wouldn't qualify wouldn't be the ones that are all that available or proficient in any means. The taking of state courses would qualify towards hours and would be a positive thing across the board.

The days of taking initial firefighter training and then that is all you might take for the next 20 years needs to end.

Hey I could be wrong but there could be a lot of departments with the old school thinking. I too have seen the way some departments treat the OSHA class and do it in 4 hours. We won't even get into the EVOC and checking of drivers licenses. How many departments check to see if the people who drive the rigs have valid licenses or have had moving violations or accidents? Bet the ones that even did a check once haven't rechecked. I think that should be done as well.

Many departments have grandfathered their members based on the old training and requirements. I know several that if you were a driver before 200 you don't have to go for EVOC. If you took Essentials, intermediate etc you don't need to take FF 1. If thats the case its time for a refreasher at least. There are several NYS courses for that. I know I'd do it every few years just to keep current and I feel it should be required. Not just so many hours of training but refreasher classes as well. Many of us are thick and you have to tell us 10 or 15 times before we get it.

Grandfather clauses are nto a bad thing. Yes they allow some people to get away with less training, but those people will eventually phase themselves out. While I think that 36 hours is painfully inadequate, that is probably what brought this around in the first place. I bet you if we really look at it every one of our departments do more than 24 hourse of training a year, after all that's only 2 hours a month. I bet you most departments offer 3-4 times that amount at a minimum. The real key here is enforceing the attendance.

I will bet however that it will not cause any reduction in less active members for at least 3 years, becasue that's how long it will take for people to realize they are no longer certified. I also wonder if you can make up hours in other years, so it this realy a 72 hours in three years requirement, that will average out to 24 each year? Either way I think this is a posative move, as long as the training is still fire training and does not get bogged down with two may lectures.