Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

First Photos Of Metro North's New M-8's

19 posts in this topic

Prototype's currently being assembled at Kawasaki Rail Car in Kobe, Japan. The order of 380 cars will be assembled at Kawasaki's Lincoln, NE plant.

These new cars will replace the very tired and worn M2/M4/M6's currently serving on the New Haven Line. They will look similar to the M7's currently on the Hudson and Harlem lines, but will be red and have the catenary power system on top.

Special thanks to capecodlocoguy from Railroad.net for the link.....

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562262291uVTfYZ

Why the switch to all red? Safety? Asthetics? Anyway, the New Haven Line DEFINITELY needs the upgrade, I've had to ride it to/from school a few times, and to call it worn is an understatement. Anyone who has had to ride the South Norwalk to Danbury line has had the term worn re-defined.

Looks nice. These cars will also be wider than the M7s (width restriction comes from LIRR). Most likely went with red interior to to bright up the inside ( As M7s have the lighter blue seats)

Edited by grumpyff

Why the switch to all red? Safety? Asthetics? Anyway, the New Haven Line DEFINITELY needs the upgrade, I've had to ride it to/from school a few times, and to call it worn is an understatement. Anyone who has had to ride the South Norwalk to Danbury line has had the term worn re-defined.

Unless the Danbury branch gets electrified some time soon those riders will be stuck with worn cars pulled by diesel engines. Since red is the New Haven lines color they opted to use it on the interior so as far as I know its mostly an asthetic decision. Too bad its going to take so long for the cars to arrive because your right, we do need them badly.

Edited by BFD196

They look nice I can not wait to ride in them.

Where's the bar car?????? lol

They are part of the order...but they're going to be the last ones produced. It'll be several years until we see one...

The new cars look nice. From what I read it will be a couple of years before they are on line. As for the Danbury line the State of Connecticut is getting new diesel locomotives.

The new cars look nice. From what I read it will be a couple of years before they are on line. As for the Danbury line the State of Connecticut is getting new diesel locomotives.

For rail routes with less traffic, such as New Canaan, Danbury, and Waterbury, why is equipment such as the old Budd RDC no longer considered? If contemporary versions of this equipment were manufactured, one would think their efficiency would be of considerable economic and environmental benefit. Perhaps the economic benefits would allow for more frequent service, or service to new towns (i.e. Brookfield, New Milford, Kent, Newtown)

The new electric equipment looks pretty slick. Are they stainless steel or aluminum? I sure hope ease-of-rescue design features were implemented. On the rare but unfortunate occasions that stainless has to be cut for rescues, those attempting it face the reality that it's not that easy. Perhaps that's discussion for another thread.

WOW - that looks awesome! Definitely very excited to start riding on one of those.

WOW - that looks awesome! Definitely very excited to start riding on one of those.

Awesome! Nice finds Seth! Lookin' good man!

-Joe

Does anyone know what they'll do w/ the old cars?

Can't wait to ride one from New Haven to Westchester. No more train rides with no electricity in the car.

they look great. i can't wait for them to go into service, it will make for a much nicer commute, lol.

Does anyone know what they'll do w/ the old cars?

Most will be scrapped. I think the bar cars will get overhauled, as will the newer M4/6s

The car is tall :rolleyes: I know with the NYC subways the platfom is about 5 feet from the track, and the car is about 11 to 12 feet tall. From the platform it doesn't look the high, but once your are on the track next to a train, it looks huge.

Here is the number system for the New Haven Line. The M8's will be numbered 9100-91??

M2's 8400-8849

M4's 8900-8985

M6's 9000-9081