Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

New York EMT Reciprocity to New Jersey EMT

11 posts in this topic

WOW... Is reciprocity really this easy New York State EMT to New Jersey EMT?

I thought someone was pulling my leg when they told me but I just filled out

all the paperwork online.

How to Apply for Reciprocal Certification for EMT-Basic

All forms and information necessary for filing are included. Please read the following instructions and follow them carefully.

STEP #1- Once logged on to www.njoemscert.com, click on the “Reciprocity” link and select “EMT-B”. Complete all questions, submit and print out the form, carefully read the Affirmation statement, and sign where it says Applicant Signature.

STEP #2- Leave the area below “Verification of EMT Certification” blank. This form must be sent to the EMS office(s) you are currently certified in along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope (not provided in packet). If you have been certified in more than one EMS office, please make additional copies of this form and forward a copy to each agency in which you have been certified. The EMS office(s) will complete the remaining portion of the form to verify your certification status, and return the form to you in the envelope you provided. When you receive the envelope back from your certifying state(s), DO NOT OPEN THE ENVELOPE. Leave the envelope sealed, and send it with your COMPLETED application.

STEP #3- Make photocopies of your state issued and/or NREMT certification cards (front and back), and a valid CPR card of the healthcare provider level.

STEP #4- Complete a Core #13 Refresher program approved by the NJ OEMS. You will find a list of these courses at www.njoemscert.com. You can take the Core 13 program once you have completed and submitted your reciprocity application on www.njoemscert.com.

STEP #5- Mail your COMPLETED application packet to the address provided.

New Jersey Department of Health & Senior Services

Office of Emergency Medical Services

Post Office Box 360

Trenton, NJ 08625

STEP #6- Register for an Examination at www.njoemscert.com. Please read below to find out if you are eligible for exemption form the examination.

A person validly certified as an EMT-Basic by the NREMT, the State of New York or any member state of the Atlantic EMS Council (currently Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia) will be permitted to obtain a New Jersey EMT-Basic certification without examination.

A person validly certified as an EMT-Basic by an agency other than NREMT, the State of New York or any member state of the Atlantic EMS Council MUST sit for the New Jersey State EMT-Basic Certification Examination.

YOUR STATE EMT-BASIC CARD OR NREMT CARD MUST BE CURRENT DURING THE ENTIRE PROCESS.

Examination accommodations- All requests for accommodations relating the Americans with Disabilities Act must be submitted to The Department of Health and Senior Services Office of Emergency Medical Services in writing with proper documentation from a doctor at least four weeks prior to the scheduled examination date. All accommodations must be approved.

Testing candidates will be permitted three attempts at the written examination. If unsuccessful after all three attempts, the candidate must successfully complete an additional Core #13 Refresher program. Successful completion will afford the candidate the additional attempts at the exam. This process must be completed within one year from the completion of the initial Core #13 Refresher program. If the candidate is still unsuccessful or exceeds one year, he/she must enroll and successfully complete the 120 hour EMT-Basic training course.

Should you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact the education department at (609) 633-7777.

A COMPLETE application includes the following:

1) EMT Basic Reciprocity Application and Verification form, in a sealed envelope, from every agency you have ever been certified.

2) Copy of EMT Certification Card(s)

3) Copy of CPR Certification (Healthcare Provider Level)

EMT-BASIC CERTIFICATION EXAMINATION

The New Jersey EMT-Basic certification process includes practical skills verification and a written examination. These examinations adhere to the goals and objectives of the United States Department of Transportation, Emergency Medical Technician Training Program.

PRACTICAL SKILLS VERIFICATION

The EMT-Basic skills verification includes 14 stations:

Patient Assessment Medical

Patient Assessment Trauma

Mouth to Mask Ventilation with Supplemental Oxygen

Bag Valve Mask (Apneic Patient)

Oxygen Administration

Airway Maintenance

Bleeding Control and Shock Management

Nitroglycerine Administration

Immobilization Skills (Lone Bone)

Spinal Immobilization (Seated)

Long Bone Immobilization (Traction Splinting)

Cardiac Arrest Management/AED

Please review the practical skills sheets to better prepare yourself for the examination. This portion of the examination will be covered during your Core #13 Refresher program.

WRITTEN EXAMINATION

The EMT-Basic written examination is a 100 question, multiple-choice test with a passing score of 70%. The examination includes questions covering all aspects of the USDOT EMT course curriculum, and is divided into the following categories:

1. Preparatory

2. Airway

3. Patient Assessment

4. Medical/Behavioral Emergencies and OB-GYN

5. Trauma

6. Infants & Children

7. Operations

Candidates are encouraged to review the curriculum and their EMT-Basic textbooks prior to taking the written examination. (Taken after successful completion of the Core #13 Refresher program)

NY -> CT is even easier :) Just need to send a form to NYS DOH and send CT a copy of your EMT card.

Since EMT is based on Federal DOT standards, and especially now with the advent of many states using or encouraging NREMT, why does anyone have to sit for an exam when seeking reciprocity? Shouldn't verification of certification be enough?

NY -> CT is even easier :) Just need to send a form to NYS DOH and send CT a copy of your EMT card.

Does the reciprocity apply to Paramedics as well? New Jersey and Connecticut?

Does the reciprocity apply to Paramedics as well? New Jersey and Connecticut?

No, Paramedic reciprocity in NJ is a bit more complex. Contact me off line if you are really interested. As far as EMTs in NJ. To work in NJ you do not have to have a NJ certification. NYS EMTs are recognized in NJ.

Heh, i applied for NJ reciprocity back in July and never got my packet in the mail...oh well

No, Paramedic reciprocity in NJ is a bit more complex. Contact me off line if you are really interested. As far as EMTs in NJ. To work in NJ you do not have to have a NJ certification. NYS EMTs are recognized in NJ.

Thanks for the info....No need to contact you off line just yet. I was just more curious then anything else.

NJMedic,

As far as EMTs in NJ. To work in NJ you do not have to have a NJ certification. NYS EMTs are recognized in NJ.

I wish I was greeted by YOU when I stopped at a bad MVA on GSP a couple of years ago.

I didn't feel the love from NJ Medics. LOL!!!!

To work in NJ you do not have to have a NJ certification. NYS EMTs are recognized in NJ.

Ditto with a PA license as well. Just go over the line and apply for a job with any bambulance company. Warning though. Most of them don't pay much. ;)

Edited by PC Comms

On the topic of reciprocity, if one wanted to maintain certification in 2 states, would they be allowed to just request reciprocity every 3 years?

Since EMT is based on Federal DOT standards, and especially now with the advent of many states using or encouraging NREMT, why does anyone have to sit for an exam when seeking reciprocity? Shouldn't verification of certification be enough?

You gotta be careful because the standards are actually different for varying states. We had an EMT join from Wisconsin or someplace like and she was trained very different from NY standards. They were more like limited CFR's than EMT's. Also down south, a lot of states give additional training on stuff like farm and machinery related injuries.