Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Yonkers FD New Mobile Live Fire Training Simulator

9 posts in this topic

The City Of Yonkers Fire Department took delivery this week of their new Fireblast "TS Fireflash Trainer" Mobile Live Fire Training Simulator. This unit was funded by a grant recieved from FIRE ACT 2006.

Spy shots can be seen here:

http://www.emtbravo.com/SpyShots/YonkersFireblast.html

More about this awesome unit can be found here:

http://www.fireblast451.com/portable/fireflash_trainer.htm

It would be great if the County, or even the state could get something like this....bring live fire training right to local FD's.

It would be great if the County, or even the state could get something like this....bring live fire training right to local FD's.

They're a great tool, no doubt about it. I just don't see the point of Westchester buying one and bringing it around to everyone. Departments can (and should) make regular trips to the Training Center in Valhalla where there is plenty of things to do. It could be taken to the DES Training Satellites in Mamaroneck Town and Katonah to ease congestion at the FTC, but other then that I think it would be a little nutty.

Wasent there supposed to be a Mack Granite Tractor that was being fit by the shops to pull this simulator and another one whose function I cant remember?

May sound kind of dumb but... wont that nice paint job and decals on the side burn/melt off when being used? Curious to see how the inside is configured.

If Special Operations were to be "Centrally" controlled by the Westchester County DES (rather than by individual municipalities, such as Yonkers), such Granted Equipment could be used and sharred amongst all of the Fire Districts in Westchester County, complimenting the current Training Efforts in Valhalla. But that goes back to the "Great Regionalization/County DES Control Debate" which has been debated on this site for quite a long time.

Wasent there supposed to be a Mack Granite Tractor that was being fit by the shops to pull this simulator and another one whose function I cant remember?

Should be delivered this week.

They're a great tool, no doubt about it. I just don't see the point of Westchester buying one and bringing it around to everyone. Departments can (and should) make regular trips to the Training Center in Valhalla where there is plenty of things to do. It could be taken to the DES Training Satellites in Mamaroneck Town and Katonah to ease congestion at the FTC, but other then that I think it would be a little nutty.

It could be taken to the career FD's, who can't always afford to leave the district to train at WCFTC. Also, it could be left at a department for a couple of weeks (with the proper training staff in place), and the department would be able to use it multiple times during the duration of it's stay. For example, it could be used to certify that each member has live fire training at least once every six months. Don't forget, this simulator also includes a mask confidence course, ventilation simlultaor, bailout trainer, etc.

A lot of departments want "their own" training center, and I think this is a great solution for those departments as well.

If Special Operations were to be "Centrally" controlled by the Westchester County DES (rather than by individual municipalities, such as Yonkers), such Granted Equipment could be used and sharred amongst all of the Fire Districts in Westchester County, complimenting the current Training Efforts in Valhalla. But that goes back to the "Great Regionalization/County DES Control Debate" which has been debated on this site for quite a long time.

Since this unit was paid for with Fire Act Grant money and DES is not elligable for that grant, since it is not a fire dept. In this case it is better that it is not "centrally' controlled.

I can also see this tool being used by career FD's in an effort to do inhouse training for recruits, instead of sending them away to a regional or state academy. More control (or less, if desired) a tailored program and a potential cost savings to the city.

Is this something the YFD is considering?

It could be taken to the career FD's, who can't always afford to leave the district to train at WCFTC.

This is a big plus, too.

Since this unit was paid for with Fire Act Grant money and DES is not elligable for that grant, since it is not a fire dept. In this case it is better that it is not "centrally' controlled.

Does anyone know the cost of such a resource? Is there any reason that the County (or a facsimile thereof) couldn't get another one for use around the County?