Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HCFRFF

48/96 Work Schedule

17 posts in this topic

Whats everyones thoughts on a 48/96 work schedule?

Website

I like it personally and wish my department would try it out.

website- www.48-96.com

Is that 48 hours on then 96 hours off?

Ouch - one bad storm and you're screwed. I think 24 is long enough. (Of course, this is from the guy who's stuck working five 8 hour tours a week!)

It shouldn't be allowed by management nor sought by the union. Management should see it as dangerous for the safety of the firefighters and the citizens. The union should think about what message it sends to the public...

It shouldn't be allowed by management nor sought by the union. Management should see it as dangerous for the safety of the firefighters and the citizens. The union should think about what message it sends to the public...

Well Said.

website- www.48-96.com

Interesting site. It appears there are no disadvantages.

The advantage to the dept. are reduced laundry cost and less trips to the store. Both can be reduced in other ways.

But, the sales pitch that the member can go hunting for 4 days at a clip is interesting.

How does this help the taxpayer or the person in need of our service?

Try 24 on then 48 off then 24 on then 96 off. that will work better. I think the Fire Patrol had this when they went to the 24 hour work days.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt the mximum 36 hors straight before you need to take a break. Just Wondering.

On top of the higher possibility for physical and mental exhaustion- What about the stress on family members who don't get see their dad/mom/whoever for 2 days straight?

On top of the higher possibility for physical and mental exhaustion- What about the stress on family members who don't get see their dad/mom/whoever for 2 days straight?

Agreed. Not only that, but think about the apparatus. Instead of twice daily, now it's only getting checked once every 2 days. (7-5 day shift, 5-7 night shift. just a generalization) Think about it, say something breaks and you don't know about it. Now it goes unnoticed for a much longer time. God forbid that its the pump's impeller or the truck's hydraulic line.

Mike

Edited by Future Fireman

I work a 24/72 and love it. I don't quite get the idea of having only three shifts instead of four. Is about having less employees and spending less money?

48 on is stretching it a bit. I don't know if they have "holdovers", but I can't imagine someone working 56, 60 or 72 hours in a row.

As for the 3 shifts, it's a 56 hour week average. Stamford left it behind in 1958.

I'm partial to the 24/72 myself.

No matter how you dice it up a 56 hour work weeks is terrible. I have friends that work a modified 56 hour work week and they consistently get stuck at work for 72 straight hours. I used to work a 72 hour work week (the standard work week for federal firefighters) which was 24/on 24/off with a 3 day break every 2 weeks. I'm much happier with my current 42 hour work week (24/on 72/off). Between the stresses of sleepless or very little sleep at night and being away from home for extended periods, I don't believe that the majority of people would like to work 48 straight hours on a regular basis. Also like Z19 brought up, what happens if there is OT and you get stuck at work for longer periods.

I feel this schedule is very dangerious. Busy night and you could be up for 48 hours straight. This creates a hazard for everyone from driving and responding to calls to fire scene operations. I work a 24/72 schedule and it is great.

24/72 great shift. 48/96 not good idea for many reasons.

I feel this schedule is very dangerious. Busy night and you could be up for 48 hours straight. This creates a hazard for everyone from driving and responding to calls to fire scene operations. I work a 24/72 schedule and it is great.

I would also agree with the latest posts. Working the 56 for the feds does mean 72 hour weekend shifts when you are short guys and then other guys bang in. We've had some guys go to West Point (72 hours) and they couldn't comprehend that 72 was the minimum. If you are short staffed and then add vacation/sick/military leave on top of that you might as well change your address. 48= bad idea.

I remember reading something about this last year, I think it is big on the West Coast. I seem to remember that the big reasons were that high cost of living in major cities and heavy traffic, made even commuting once every 24 hours to be a bad thing. Basically this allowed half the driving commutes, but for longer times, thus allowing members to live further from work. I guess that is OK, if you don't ever plan on needing your off duty members in a hurry. Then again, I work in dispatch and can't imagineworking more than 8 on a regular basis.