Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bunkers

Tot freed from washer with the Jaws of Life

16 posts in this topic

By Associated Press DOVER, Ohio - Talk about an oversized load: A 4-year-old boy got stuck when he climbed into his family's top-loading washing machine, and firefighters had to use a metal cutter to slice into the appliance to get him out.

Donovan Hasseman, who wasn't hurt, was wedged up against the agitator with a knee folded against his chest, while the machine was empty and not running Sunday night, Dover Fire Capt. Mike Mossor said.

Firefighters responding to a 911 call from the boy's mother tried to help him wriggle out, but he couldn't move, Mossor said. The owner of an appliance store was then called in for advice on how to take the washer apart.

The fire department wound up using its hydraulic "jaws-of-life" tool normally used to remove crash victims from wrecked vehicles to cut through the machine's walls and plastic tub.

The child cried and screamed at times while stuck but was calm once he was freed, Mossor said.

A hospital looked him over then released him, and he was given a stuffed bear which the family has named Agitator.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved

Edited by jack10562
Added Source Copyright notice

Come on. Who hasnt tried that? I know for a fact I used to fit in a dryer.

Wow. Thanks for sharing JOHN! I wonder how often fire departments need to use hydraulic tools in situations other than during MVA pin jobs. Does anyone else have any other stories?

Good call with the rescue tool. BTW, This is just a pet peeve of mine, but "Jaws of Life" is a trademarked name, owned by Hurst. Any other rescue tool is not the Jaws of Life. The press is stupid.

getting off my soapbox now...

All I can say is that I tried to fit in the dryer a few times, but Never the Washer. I have tried some lockers in school (when i was thinner). Who hasn't tired to use that excuse to a teacher that you where stuck in your locker?

Come on. Who hasnt tried that? I know for a fact I used to fit in a dryer.

HAHA I know I have done the Dryer and scared my mother when she went to switch over the clothes from the wash. (She did not like that to well and boy was ***I was in troulbe****lol)

All I can say is that I tried to fit in the dryer a few times, but Never the Washer. I have tried some lockers in school (when i was thinner). Who hasn't tired to use that excuse to a teacher that you where stuck in your locker?

Dude you were never Thin haha and there were no way you could fit in the locker at the High school maybe the ones in the locker room in the DOME!!!

My kids try getting in the front loader all the time. Thankfully, the new ones have locks. More than 1 kid could fit in those.

Wow. Thanks for sharing JOHN! I wonder how often fire departments need to use hydraulic tools in situations other than during MVA pin jobs. Does anyone else have any other stories?

We used the Holmatro extrication tool to pop a dog free from a cast iron radiator a couple of years ago on Halloween.

I also used the Holmatro extrication tool with the help of a few others to force open our old beer machine and disable it. Made a lot of enemies that day...

we used the spreaders to jack up one side of the firehouse at my old dept in new jersey when the fondation failed during a big rain storm so we could but cinderblocks under the plate

We used the Holmatro extrication tool to pop a dog free from a cast iron radiator a couple of years ago on Halloween.

I also used the Holmatro extrication tool with the help of a few others to force open our old beer machine and disable it. Made a lot of enemies that day...

Want to come South and do that drill here :lol:

Quite a few years ago we went mutual aid to a job where the guy was working on his garage door and the spring let go. I think it was one with the overhead springs - went nicely through the forearm. What made it a bit tricky was that he was about 3' up a step ladder. Other than that - it wasn't too challenging. Think we used our Holmatro (host dept had Hurst) cutters in the end.

It wasn't an emergency, but we once used a small airbag to pop out a dent on the side of a members truck. Wasn't perfect, but cheap, and the probies that were there got a good lesson on the set-up and operation of the airbags.

Used the Spreaders last year to free a Kitten that got stuck inside a cast iron Bird Bath Base......

Edited by TCD0415

Had a similiar situation, a plumber got his hand stuck in the strainer of a kitchen sink drain that was attached directly to a garbage disposal. Seems he had put his hand,wrist and lower arm in and out a few times succesfully, although a little tighther each time. Finally swelled up and got stuck. Turned off power to disposal and tried liquid soap, oil, ice to reduce swelling ect, no luck. Diconnected the unit from the tailpiece and ended up using a small handheld dremel tool with a cutoff wheel (several) to slice the strainer down its length and pry it apart enough to allow his hand to be removed. Another alternative would of been to remove the entire sink and send him to the ER. Had EMS on scene to monitor patient as well.

The tool and a assortment of cut off wheels and various other attachments is well under 100 dollars, fits in a small tool box and is available at most hardware and home improvement stores. Hope it helps.

Bedford had a call about 3 or 4 years ago when one of my classmates got their finger caught in a water fountain, they took the water fountain off of the wall and then sent my classmate and the water fountain attached to Northern Westchester.

I was on a call in Beacon one day back in the late 80's when a guy borrowed his brother's brand new car to pick him up at the airport.He stopped for gas and went to put dry gas in and the little tear off tab fell into the tank.The person stuck his finger in to try and retrieve it and the flap on the fill valve came down on his finger and cut into itabout 1/4 inch. We tried everything we could think of including soap,any otherlubricant no luck. We ended up gaining access to the trunk and cutting the fill pipe below the guys finger and pushing it back out the door for the access area. It was cold out maybe November ,December guy had no coat on. Job took about an hour .He was transported to a hospital for eval and released. On the lighter side I'd hate to be him and making that phone call to his brother............................ :lol: