Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CPAGE

2008 St. Patrick's Day Parades

21 posts in this topic

Also a parade they forgot to add was the Sleepy Hollow Parade on March 16th.

Mahopac-Putnam County Parade is Sunday March 9th

Ahh, if only i could be in numerous places at once B) .

I've done the NYC parade since high school, but switched it up last year and spent a few days in Boston for St. Pattys. Boston is a beautiful, clean and fun city, thats for sure. But it looks like i'll be going back to NYC this year, nothing like it!

Sucks that it falls on a Monday this year...thank god for my "personnel days" at work lol! Looks like ill be taking Monday & Tuesday, just to recover. I just cant wait, its such a good time at the NYC parade. Hanging with your friends, hearing the best pipes and drums and seeing the marchers is just a great experience!

38 days to go.

I remember Guinness gave out those St. Pat's day countdown clocks to bars that sold a lot of their beer, I am sure someone on here must have gotten one through attrition, no?

Guys remember if you are going to shorten it is St PADDYS not Patty. Patty is short for Patricia. Have fun wherever you are!

That site didn't list two in my area, of course I am interested in Stamford's parade on 2/15, but also the Greenwich parade which is one of the biggest in the area, I think it is actually a week late this year.

As for Paddy or Patty, We have a Chaplain who complained about units on the radio saying they were transporting to St. Joe's so we had an order put out that we were not to abbreviate the names of Saints. To be correct it is Saint Patrick's Day. Not to mention the fact that Paddy has been used as a derogotory term for Irish imigrants (but back then it was ok to do that and they were LEGAL).

The Savannah, GA parade is the ticket lads. 2nd largest ST. Paddy Day Parade in the Country. They have absolutely gorgeous and delicious Georgia peaches. ;) Never mind NYC, although I'm not complaining. That's still a good time also.

That site didn't list two in my area, of course I am interested in Stamford's parade on 2/15, but also the Greenwich parade which is one of the biggest in the area, I think it is actually a week late this year.

As for Paddy or Patty, We have a Chaplain who complained about units on the radio saying they were transporting to St. Joe's so we had an order put out that we were not to abbreviate the names of Saints. To be correct it is Saint Patrick's Day. Not to mention the fact that Paddy has been used as a derogotory term for Irish imigrants (but back then it was ok to do that and they were LEGAL).

Isn't "Paddy" short for the very Irish heritage-rich name "Padraig?"

I only know that name because I am a gof fan and Padraig Harrington is a PGA pro who I enjoy watching play the game.

I think our resident Irish expert dmccabe needs to shed some light on this issue!

JVC

Isn't "Paddy" short for the very Irish heritage-rich name "Padraig?"

I only know that name because I am a gof fan and Padraig Harrington is a PGA pro who I enjoy watching play the game.

I think our resident Irish expert dmccabe needs to shed some light on this issue!

JVC

You are correct, "Paddy" is short for Padraig but all can be used as a nickname for Patrick.

I am not sure but I think Padraig is the Gaelic form of Patrick, whicich is probably the root of the nick name moving over from one to the other.

22 Days brothers to St. Patrick's Day NYC...

post-4288-1203863752.jpg

post-4288-1203870186.jpg

Edited by x134

Yes Padraig is the Irish for Patrick. I am from Kilkenny and went to the Gaeltacht every summer with my school so I know my Irish!

anyone know where to buy those hats fdny wears in the nyc parade??

anyone know where to buy those hats fdny wears in the nyc parade??

What hats? If you are refering to the beret go to www.KatyKnits.com

post-4288-1203894852.jpg

Edited by x134

What hats? If you are refering to the beret go to www.KatyKnits.com

i was. thank you!

I hear Boston FD is telling their guys and other locals across America not to march in their parade this year because the city is stating that the past deaths of Warren Payne and Paul Cahill were their own faults. I looked at the local website and only found a letter bashing the commish. http://www.bostonfirelocal718.org/

I hear Boston FD is telling their guys and other locals across America not to march in their parade this year because the city is stating that the past deaths of Warren Payne and Paul Cahill were their own faults. I looked at the local website and only found a letter bashing the commish. http://www.bostonfirelocal718.org/

Yah they are boycotting and asking all firemen not to march in the parade due to the fight they have with the mayor and city gov't. But the problem is that the parade is not a city affiliated parade, it is sponsored by the Allied Veterans Association of South Boston and the organizers are not happy they are being the "scapegoat" so to speak.

The article is on www.boston.com.

Yah they are boycotting and asking all firemen not to march in the parade due to the fight they have with the mayor and city gov't. But the problem is that the parade is not a city affiliated parade, it is sponsored by the Allied Veterans Association of South Boston and the organizers are not happy they are being the "scapegoat" so to speak.

The article is on www.boston.com.

once again, let the veterans get screwed...