Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rfdu39

FDNY Rope Rescue

14 posts in this topic

Here is a video of what is probably one of the most famous rescues in the history of the FDNY. My dad was at this fire and the hook that you see is his hook but he is not holding it.

What a great video, and a GREAT rescue. Timeless. Great find, I had seen it before on TV and video but it's nice that many more people can view it now that it's on YouTube.

If I'm not mistaken, the firefighter involved in this rescue was involved in another rescue like this during his career, and possibly was killed on 9/11? If anyone can confirm...

Barr was not killed on 9/11. However several of the people from rescue 1 who were on the roof were killed on 9/11. (Pat Brown, Pat O'Keefe).

At that fire 2 rope rescues were made on the same rope 1 was FF.Barr (TL-45 Detailed) and the second by FF. Kevin Shea (R-1)who was injured at the WTC bombing in 1993 he fell in the hole from the blast and blow his knees out. Capt P. Brown then Lt. (R-1) along with members of other ladder co's (roofman) assisted in the rescue of the 2 men.

Edited by CPAGE

Many involved said they thought they were going to loose the whole truck and Rescue Co. being that they couldn't find an anchor point and just used each others body weight to hold the rope.

Many involved said they thought they were going to loose the whole truck and Rescue Co. being that they couldn't find an anchor point and just used each others body weight to hold the rope.

The crew on the roof did a fantastic job.

In the raw footage you could see the shards of glass flying out past the rope....they were very lucky, because under that much tension it would take almost nothing to cut the rope.

Also, pulling the crew in at that steep of an angle multiplied the forces on the rope by at least 3x. We have used that as a force multiplier and it is very effective (200 Ibs pull can lift almost 600 Ibs about 2 feet).

That additional force is what almost pulled the crew off the roof. The moment they made the grab, they should rapidly lower as far as they can (less time dangling, reduced force multipliers, and closer to ground if something fails). In this case they had enough rope to reach the ground.

I'm not trying to take away anything from what they did. Because it was an outstanding example of what a great roof team can do. Just lots of members do not understand some of the concepts that come into play and for future incidents we should consider that.

At that fire 2 rope rescues were made on the same rope 1 was FF.Barr (TL-45 Detailed) and the second by FF. Kevin Shea (R-1)who was injured at the WTC bombing in 1993 he fell in the hole from the blast and blow his knees out. Capt P. Brown then Lt. (R-1) along with members of other ladder co's (roofman) assisted in the rescue of the 2 men.

Here is the News paper storie thanks to FDNY rescue 1 web site

The link: http://www.rescue1fdny.com/inthenews/nypost-5-15-91.jpg

GREAT VIDEO! Looks like they copied that rescue in the movie, Ladder 49

Pat Barr, from what I know, is now enjoying retirement as a Sandhog in NYC.

Pat Barr, from what I know, is now enjoying retirement as a Sandhog in NYC.

You would be correct.

Very cool video, I have seen another more in depth version of this from an old Rescue 911 episode. If I remember correctly Capt Brown also made a roof rope rescue a few moments later.

Very cool video, I have seen another more in depth version of this from an old Rescue 911 episode. If I remember correctly Capt Brown also made a roof rope rescue a few moments later.

The second rescue was made by FF. Shea (R1)