Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Baltimore Cop Under Fire For Handling Of Skateboarder

65 posts in this topic

omeeyed, your right i have no idea what its like to be a cop, but thats not an excuse. there is alway a line between good and evil, right and wrong...my question is....who draws the line in this situation???

yes we only see what might be a portion of the incident, but you have 3 kids vs. 1 cop with one of those three kids a 'victim' of the power to uphold the law mixed with improper use of force. in a jury of your peers, who will win??

omeeyed, your right i have no idea what its like to be a cop, but thats not an excuse. there is alway a line between good and evil, right and wrong...my question is....who draws the line in this situation???

yes we only see what might be a portion of the incident, but you have 3 kids vs. 1 cop with one of those three kids a 'victim' of the power to uphold the law mixed with improper use of force. in a jury of your peers, who will win??

That is your perception. Do you always do right? I agree that the COP went overboard on the grabbing. That is the only thing I will agree with. He will be sued and he will probably lose a couple of days at work maybe even lose his job. I know that would make you happy. For what reason I don't know. Because he touched the KID? If there was no video and you read an article would you have a different view? Well my peers are WAY DIFFERENT than your PEERS. I can assure you of that. My beliefs are also way different.

The COP yelled at a KID. It is not the first time and definitely not the last time a COP will yell at a KID. I asked you to put yourself in that situation. Did you?

That is your perception. Do you always do right? I agree that the COP went overboard on the grabbing. That is the only thing I will agree with. He will be sued and he will probably lose a couple of days at work maybe even lose his job. I know that would make you happy. For what reason I don't know. Because he touched the KID? If there was no video and you read an article would you have a different view? Well my peers are WAY DIFFERENT than your PEERS. I can assure you of that. My beliefs are also way different.

The COP yelled at a KID. It is not the first time and definitely not the last time a COP will yell at a KID. I asked you to put yourself in that situation. Did you?

i did, but i do know being a cop isn't just a job, it's more of a way of life...so that i can't fully understand. as for the guy being fired, yea i'd like to see it. i also know that for a cop to be fired he/she REALLY REALLY has to screw up, like i said, did he cross the line or is he just sitting on the line? not my call, but i wouldn't want a cop in my neighborhoor pulling that stunt for a bunch of skateboarders. this cop initially played the role of law enforcer, but you can see when the leo switch turned off and he became a bully...thats the problem. if he can't be calm, cool and collective with a friggin 13 y/o kid, i wouldn't want to see him in a more severe situation.

i did, but i do know being a cop isn't just a job, it's more of a way of life...so that i can't fully understand. as for the guy being fired, yea i'd like to see it. i also know that for a cop to be fired he/she REALLY REALLY has to screw up, like i said, did he cross the line or is he just sitting on the line? not my call, but i wouldn't want a cop in my neighborhoor pulling that stunt for a bunch of skateboarders. this cop initially played the role of law enforcer, but you can see when the leo switch turned off and he became a bully...thats the problem. if he can't be calm, cool and collective with a friggin 13 y/o kid, i wouldn't want to see him in a more severe situation.

You know what? I had some nasty things to say to you but I'm not going to do it. You have your opinion and you can have that. Life isn't living in a VAC, get out and see that the WORLD is not perfect and neither are the people in it. It must be tough being so perfect that you can judge a video you saw. PATHETIC.

Well i saw it on the news about a week ago they siad that the cops been suspended and that thier will be a full investigation on it so guess the parents were pretty mad

The cop was a douche and so was the kid. There was no reason for the cop to start in on them like that and no excuse for the kid to respond the way he did. Sadly, in the end the cop loses.

Very good point that kid was smart but the cop had no right to take him down like that

You know what? I had some nasty things to say to you but I'm not going to do it. You have your opinion and you can have that. Life isn't living in a VAC, get out and see that the WORLD is not perfect and neither are the people in it. It must be tough being so perfect that you can judge a video you saw. PATHETIC.

perfect? thanks, but no thanks!

no need to get personal, but if you insist, give me a PM

Edited by vacguy

I was appalled by the conduct exhibited by this Baltimore Police Officer. As a retired Police Sergeant, I am disgusted by his behavior. I don't care how disrespectful that youth was, there are procedures in place in all departments that dictate how to deal with situations like this. This officer not only disgraced himself but the entire Police community. It is conduct like this that gives all Police Officers a bad rap. I for one offer an apology to everyone who watched this video and I ask you not to judge all police officers by the conduct displayed by this one officer. In all professions there are bad seeds and this officer is apparently one of those bad seeds. I'm sure his personnel record will show that this isn't the first incident that he has been involved in of this nature. To the overwhelming majority of decent, professional police officers out there I say be safe and keep up the great work.

I am not a police officer, so my opinion probably has no place here, but I have to agree with ONEEYEDMIC.

Maybe all police cruisers should come equipped with lawyers and nannies, kinda like the "trunk monkey" commercial. This way, instead of the PO getting PO'd, he can defer to one of the "experts".

I was appalled by the conduct exhibited by this Baltimore Police Officer. As a retired Police Sergeant, I am disgusted by his behavior. I don't care how disrespectful that youth was, there are procedures in place in all departments that dictate how to deal with situations like this. This officer not only disgraced himself but the entire Police community. It is conduct like this that gives all Police Officers a bad rap. I for one offer an apology to everyone who watched this video and I ask you not to judge all police officers by the conduct displayed by this one officer. In all professions there are bad seeds and this officer is apparently one of those bad seeds. I'm sure his personnel record will show that this isn't the first incident that he has been involved in of this nature. To the overwhelming majority of decent, professional police officers out there I say be safe and keep up the great work.

You never raised your voice on a call? In your whole career you never did that? Or, you never raised it to a teen? I don't feel disgraced by what he did. The fact is, if he didn't grab the kid around the neck there would be no problem. There is no LAW for yelling at someone. The second you let someone walk over you, you have lost the scene. I am not going to sit there and let somebody be a wise a** or raise their voice at me. I am not a door mat, you can't walk over me.

When it comes out that this PO has no record of any other incidents what are you going to say then? Bad days happen. This one just happened to be captured on tape. I can't believe all the perfect people on this site. It should be called EMT PERFECT.

While I do feel that he cop was wrong by putting his hands on the child, he has every right to yell at him. I also feel he was right saying that the kid can talk to his father that way, but not to the officer. Show respect for the person that is risking their life to keep them safe.

Ok, I would like a chance to be fair to both parties involved here in the discussion without being disrespectfull in any way. So please dont kill me!! :rolleyes:

First, I kind of agree with ONEEYEDMIC. Im not a PO and never have been interested in being one, but I have several friends who are and I hear their war stories all the time and its scary. It goes beyond running into a burning building or rendering first aid to a victim of a car crash on an icy interstate....there is so much more to be wary, and cautious about, even skeptical about. How many times do you hear in todays society of KIDS bringing firearms to school? Im talking kids 12, 14, 16 years old with Firearms. How did this Police Officer know for sure these kids were not packing heat ready to shoot him any second? How does the officer know that neither of them were ready to pull a knife or other weapon out? No One Knows....Thats why I believe, and its my opinion only, that Police Officers should show that they have control early on, and by speaking with authority and getting their attention early on, than switching to a more subtle tone at the end of the video when he told the kid to call his mom and asked for his address, that he showed them he was in charge and deserved respect. I still say that physical force was not called for here but as someone said, the officer was suspended for it pending investigation.

I also agree with j2hawk and show him the utmost respect also. The cop should have shown some restraint and not used physical force, but I have to disagree with you on the raising of the voice. Sorry, but in todays society the only way to reach a snot nosed kid is to make them hear you, get their attention and scare them. By raising his voice and taking the board away he did that. But he should not have held him in a choke hold than thrown him down. There is no reaching todays youth in old fashioned tactics. Like others have said, todays youth "Know Everything" and dont need an adult to "Tell them what to do"....unfortunately thats the way it is.

If yelling at someone to get their attention and take control of a situation is what works than so be it. Im not the one driving around in a Police Car getting shot at and not knowing whats coming around the next corner or what the next person I pull over is going to do to me, so Im going to listen to the guys/gals that do this everyday.

Good discussions so far and everyone is keeping it clean...GOOD! ;)

Here's another take on the video. To me it looks like the officer was reaching for the skateboard and the kid was trying to stop him from getting to it. This happened off camera so we didn't see it, but if the officer reached for the board and the kid turned around while the officers hand was on the board, then during the struggle, his arm would be around the body and neck of the kid......

This just shows how a video does not show the WHOLE picture.

Here's another take on the video. To me it looks like the officer was reaching for the skateboard and the kid was trying to stop him from getting to it. This happened off camera so we didn't see it, but if the officer reached for the board and the kid turned around while the officers hand was on the board, then during the struggle, his arm would be around the body and neck of the kid......

This just shows how a video does not show the WHOLE picture.

I actually noticed that as well. But people on here see what they want to see. They see abusive of power and a guy losing his temper. I would still like to know whay the Police were called there by the KIDS as stated in the video.

Baltimore Officer Suspended After Video Surfaces

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008

ANNIE LINSKEY and GUS G. SENTEMENTES

The Baltimore Sun

Watch YouTube Video

A Baltimore police officer was suspended yesterday after a YouTube video surfaced on the Internet showing him berating and manhandling a teenage skateboarder at the Inner Harbor.

On the video, the officer, Salvatore Rivieri, puts the boy in a headlock, pushes him to the ground, questions his upbringing, threatens to "smack" him and repeatedly accuses the youngster of showing disrespect because the youth refers to the officer as "man" and "dude."

At one point, Rivieri, a 17-year veteran of the force, says:

"Obviously, your parents don't put a foot in your butt quite enough, because you don't understand the meaning of respect. First of all, you better learn how to speak. I'm not `man.' I'm not `dude,' I am Officer Rivieri. The sooner you learn that, the longer you are going to live in this world. Because you go around doing this kind of stuff and somebody is going to kill you."

Sterling Clifford, a spokesman for the Baltimore Police Department and the mayor's office, said authorities have begun an internal-affairs investigation.

"The entire incident raised red flags for all of the members of the command staff who watched the video," Clifford said.

He said yesterday afternoon that Mayor Sheila Dixon had not seen the video, which appears to have been shot last summer, but that its contents had been described to her and that she was "very displeased."

"We have invested a lot of time and energy in having better relations between the community and the police," Clifford said. "The bad behavior of one police officer can jeopardize a lot of hard work."

Clifford said Rivieri's suspension entails a transfer to administrative duties with pay.

Reached at home Sunday, Rivieri said he was not aware that the incident had been recorded or posted to a public Web site. He acknowledged having encounters with skateboarders at the Inner Harbor last summer and told a reporter that he would review the video on YouTube.

"These kids, they've got nothing better to do," Rivieri said.

Yesterday, after being suspended, Rivieri said, "I have no comment. Thank you."

Attempts to e-mail the person who posted the video were unsuccessful. Police said they do not know the identity of the youth involved or who shot the video.

Clifford said the department has tried to e-mail, through YouTube, the person who posted the video and is contacting area schools in an attempt to find the boy.

Skateboarding is not permitted in the Inner Harbor.

Paul Blair, head of the police union, had not seen the video but cautioned that videos show only a slice of a story. He noted that it is impossible to know what happened before or after the camera was turned on.

The video came to the attention of the police after a Sun reporter e-mailed the link to the police Sunday morning seeking comment.

The video was posted on YouTube on Saturday but probably was made late last summer, according to the Police Department.

The 3 1/2 -minute video shows Rivieri walking toward a group of boys, one of whom is holding a skateboard. The boy says he did not hear an order that the officer had given him before the video starts.

"Take the earplugs out of your ears. Can you hear me now? Hey, I'm talking to you. Can you hear me?" Rivieri says.

Rivieri tells the boy he is not allowed to use his skateboard.

"OK, I didn't hear you," the boy says.

"Don't get defensive with me," Rivieri says. "You backed off me. I'm not your father. You hear me. I'm not your father. You give that attitude to your father. You give it to me and I'll smack you."

One boy says, "I don't have a father."

"Shut your mouth, I'm talking," Rivieri says.

One boy repeatedly uses the word dude when addressing Rivieri, and the word becomes a point of contention.

"Sit down. I'm not a dude," Rivieri says. He then pushes a boy to the ground and walks away with his skateboard.

"Dude, don't take my skateboard. I didn't do anything, dude," the boy says.

Rivieri replies: "If you call me dude one more time. ... Are you from the county or something?"

The officer's tone becomes increasingly harsh.

The boy, who says on the video that he is 14, says he wants to call his mother, and later the officer asks to speak with her. It is unclear whether that conversation took place.

The person who made the video does not talk and is never identified, though at one point Rivieri addresses the person with the camera, saying, "You got that camera on? If I find myself on ... " The video cuts off before Rivieri finishes his sentence.

Clifford said the boy never made an official complaint to the Police Department and that Rivieri has no other citizen complaints in his file.

So if the tape never got out nothing would have happened. NO CIVILIAN COMPLAINTS IN 17 YEARS. That is pretty DAMN good if you ask me.

The problem with this site is that everyone on here is either a cop, or on great terms with POs and respect their authority because we are all on the same team. When I see this video, personally I am horrified. I have seen numerous, numerous instances of police officers abusing their power, yet when someone makes a complaint, there is no proof and nothing happens. Kids don't need to be scared, and whoever thinks that this kid is going to respect authority next time he sees a cop is just naive.

There needs to be a way to keep a check on all civil servants. This way, citizens do not get abused and taken advantage of by THE FEW police officers who go overboard.

Oneeyed, you seem to have a problem with VACs. That's fine. But attacking another member is definitely not what this open forum is about. People will have differences in opinions...lets accept that, explain your side in a rational manner.

I believe it is our duty to defend those who cannot defend themselves. This video does just that. Age should not be a decider in respect. If Tony Hawk was riding his skateboard I'm sure this would have gone down much differently. Just because the kids are 12 does not give the cop permission to go on a verbal rampage like he did.

The problem with this site is that everyone on here is either a cop, or on great terms with POs and respect their authority because we are all on the same team. When I see this video, personally I am horrified. I have seen numerous, numerous instances of police officers abusing their power, yet when someone makes a complaint, there is no proof and nothing happens. Kids don't need to be scared, and whoever thinks that this kid is going to respect authority next time he sees a cop is just naive.

There needs to be a way to keep a check on all civil servants. This way, citizens do not get abused and taken advantage of by THE FEW police officers who go overboard.

Oneeyed, you seem to have a problem with VACs. That's fine. But attacking another member is definitely not what this open forum is about. People will have differences in opinions...lets accept that, explain your side in a rational manner.

I believe it is our duty to defend those who cannot defend themselves. This video does just that. Age should not be a decider in respect. If Tony Hawk was riding his skateboard I'm sure this would have gone down much differently. Just because the kids are 12 does not give the cop permission to go on a verbal rampage like he did.

There happens to be lots of FF's and EMS workers on this site as well. You can voice your OPINION as much as you want about PO's. Just know what you are talking about before you post it. Sorry that you were horrified by this incident. I didn't know so many people on this site were scared to be yelled at. If you have seen so many instances of PO's abusing their POWER report them. Your pretty funny that you say that there needs to be a way to keep a check on all CIVIL SERVANTS yet in you next line you just point out overboard PO's. Last time I checked, FF's were Civil Servants as well.

Just because I say something about 1 VAC memeber doesn't mean I am against VAC's. You don't know anything about me so just stick to the topic at hand. Let's get this straight as well, there are no sides. I agree the Cop was wrong for touching the kid. But I also agree that this kid needed to be yelled at. What's is the big deal? If I did something stupid when I was a kid you can bet your behind a Cop yelled at me. I probably deserved it. I didn't lose respect for him/her, and I certainly didn't run home like a baby and tell my parents. I am sure Tony Hawk probably did the same stuff when he was a kid and he was probably yelled at by the POLICE nimerous times.

So just so I am clear. If a Police Officer yells at somebody they are Bullies on a power trip and all POLICE OFFICER NEED TO BE MONITORED so they don't go overboard. I love this site.

First off, and dont take offense to this brother, arent you a bit too young to be calling us naive for expressing our opinions? I have seen plenty of kids have gross disrespect for not only Police Officers, but teachers, parents, Employers...the list goes on, and if you dont see that todays youth is loosing respect and acting like a bunch of know-it-alls than maybe the naivity is yours brother. Just something for you to think about.

What about the Police Officers who get Killed in the LOD because of the "Kids" who are just hanging out in the park that end up being gang members waiting for the drug deal? Saying that because a PO "Yells" at some kids he needs to be monitored more closely is rediculous bro. They already have the drive cams in their cars, what are we going to make them do next, wear a helmet cam? Imagine the taxes needed to pay for that equipment. I just think Monday Morning Quarterbacks that know nothing about Police Work need to stay out of it and let the Pros do their job.

Just like the difference in opinion that oneeye has and you are addressing here?

If the kids today had more respect for the law than the police wouldnt have to defend anyone. As you have seen in another topic there was yet ANOTHER school shooting...when is it going to be enough? When are the Police Officers going to finaly be untied and be able to go out there and put an end to this senseless violence? Its happening more often because people like you and I who dont see what happens in a typical shift for a PO think that they are being too rough. If you ask me, the Police should have more leeway in how they handle suspicious people...."yelling" is not that rough. If it offends you...........Should the Police Officer have invited them out for Pizza? Or maybe brought out the tea service and had tea and pastry with them?

sorry for the rant! LOL

First off, and dont take offense to this brother, arent you a bit too young to be calling us naive for expressing our opinions?

No offense taken, and no I don't think I'm too young. I grew up in a generation where we were taught to stand up for ourselves and to question authority...which I think is good. It's a pity that there are so many people who are scared to talk to police officers! I think that the whole "respect me by being scared of me" attitude is not fit for this generation.

Nobody on here would EVER question or doubt all the incredible work cops put up with day after day. Everyday I work side by side some of the most intelligent, skilled, and caring people I have met, and am proud to say that they are great police officers. With all the violence and terror going on in the schools these days, I understand that even young children now pose a threat, but I still feel that this officer took things too far (threatening to "smack" the child because the 12 year old used the colloquialism "dude")

Nearly all officers are outstanding, but as with any agency-EMS included- there will always be some bad apples. If there are no videos/checks to keep these few bad apples in check, what's to stop them from taking it another level?

I'll say this- if there was no video, and a kid said that he was thrown to the ground by a cop, it would be extremely difficult to convince me to believe the kid...but these videos speak for those who can't speak up for themselves.

I grew up in a generation where we were taught to stand up for ourselves and to question authority...which I think is good. It's a pity that there are so many people who are scared to talk to police officers! I think that the whole "respect me by being scared of me" attitude is not fit for this generation.

exactly!

You never raised your voice on a call? In your whole career you never did that? Or, you never raised it to a teen? I don't feel disgraced by what he did. The fact is, if he didn't grab the kid around the neck there would be no problem. There is no LAW for yelling at someone. The second you let someone walk over you, you have lost the scene. I am not going to sit there and let somebody be a wise a** or raise their voice at me. I am not a door mat, you can't walk over me.

When it comes out that this PO has no record of any other incidents what are you going to say then? Bad days happen. This one just happened to be captured on tape. I can't believe all the perfect people on this site. It should be called EMT PERFECT.

Young man I respect your candor, however you will find out later in your career that it is a job and you must learn to meet the needs of each job. It's easy to lose your cool but it is the consummate professional that is able to control that urge and remain in control of the scene. If this officer cannot maintain control with a kid on a skateboard, I would hate to see how he would react in a more serious situation. You are a police officer and you know that every incident must be judged on its own merits. Take a minute and ask yourself, would you want this guy as your back-up on a night where you're busy as hell and shorthanded. Do you really want a loose cannon like that covering your a**? I don't nor do I want him on my squad. Your point is well taken that you must maintain control of the scene and yes we all have bad days but I would hope that you would never talk that way to anyone. If you got them, lock them up or, in this case, deal with juveniles accordingly!! We don't have the luxury to go off like that on a job. Do as we all do. Wait until the end of your tour and spend some time with your brothers and sisters and blow off steam. Also, I am not perfect and I have made my share of mistakes over the years, but I learned by watching the seasoned guys that were highly respected and tried to emulate them. My motto has always been "everything in moderation." This guy completely lost it. His "record" should be used in determining how he is dealt with. Hopefully I am wrong and this is his first incident and they can get him some training and anger management. As always, stay safe and make us all proud.

No offense taken, and no I don't think I'm too young. I grew up in a generation where we were taught to stand up for ourselves and to question authority...which I think is good. It's a pity that there are so many people who are scared to talk to police officers! I think that the whole "respect me by being scared of me" attitude is not fit for this generation.

Nobody on here would EVER question or doubt all the incredible work cops put up with day after day. Everyday I work side by side some of the most intelligent, skilled, and caring people I have met, and am proud to say that they are great police officers. With all the violence and terror going on in the schools these days, I understand that even young children now pose a threat, but I still feel that this officer took things too far (threatening to "smack" the child because the 12 year old used the colloquialism "dude")

Nearly all officers are outstanding, but as with any agency-EMS included- there will always be some bad apples. If there are no videos/checks to keep these few bad apples in check, what's to stop them from taking it another level?

I'll say this- if there was no video, and a kid said that he was thrown to the ground by a cop, it would be extremely difficult to convince me to believe the kid...but these videos speak for those who can't speak up for themselves.

Moose thank you for bringing up the age thing. I saw that after I posted and just chuckled. But being young and naive is natural. You work with COPS all day and they are great. What if this happened with a COP you have been on a call with? Would you lose respect for him/her? When and if you get pulled over while driving alone or with your friends do you mouth off? Do you tell them you work in EMS? You probably expect them to let you go right. Authority is good when it works for you. What if the COP doesn't give you a ticket but yells at you for your infraction? Is that OK? Are you going to run home to MOMMY and DADDY and tell them you got yelled at? You are quick to "question authority" when it won't benefit you aren't you? That is what we call a POSER in my generation.

Moose thank you for bringing up the age thing. I saw that after I posted and just chuckled. But being young and naive is natural. You work with COPS all day and they are great. What if this happened with a COP you have been on a call with? Would you lose respect for him/her? When and if you get pulled over while driving alone or with your friends do you mouth off? Do you tell them you work in EMS? You probably expect them to let you go right. Authority is good when it works for you. What if the COP doesn't give you a ticket but yells at you for your infraction? Is that OK? Are you going to run home to MOMMY and DADDY and tell them you got yelled at? You are quick to "question authority" when it won't benefit you aren't you? That is what we call a POSER in my generation.

i think everyones getting off topic, so let me get even further off topic!

i've never used the excuse "im in a vac" to get out of a ticket. cops have asked "whats's the green light for" and i tell them i'm in a vac and they still give me a ticket! thats why i wouldn't even bother using the excuse. i've never been yelled at by an officer. although they spoke in a tough but respectable manner, it's what you would expect from a cop if you get pulled over. even if he/she were to scream in an unrational way and NOT give me a ticket, i'd at least consider making a complaint...but probably do nothing! lol

Fellas,

Stay on topic and stay constructive or this goes into the vast abyss of deleted topics.

And play nice.

Mike

Truck4

Young man I respect your candor, however you will find out later in your career that it is a job and you must learn to meet the needs of each job. It's easy to lose your cool but it is the consummate professional that is able to control that urge and remain in control of the scene. If this officer cannot maintain control with a kid on a skateboard, I would hate to see how he would react in a more serious situation. You are a police officer and you know that every incident must be judged on its own merits. Take a minute and ask yourself, would you want this guy as your back-up on a night where you're busy as hell and shorthanded. Do you really want a loose cannon like that covering your a**? I don't nor do I want him on my squad. Your point is well taken that you must maintain control of the scene and yes we all have bad days but I would hope that you would never talk that way to anyone. If you got them, lock them up or, in this case, deal with juveniles accordingly!! We don't have the luxury to go off like that on a job. Do as we all do. Wait until the end of your tour and spend some time with your brothers and sisters and blow off steam. Also, I am not perfect and I have made my share of mistakes over the years, but I learned by watching the seasoned guys that were highly respected and tried to emulate them. My motto has always been "everything in moderation." This guy completely lost it. His "record" should be used in determining how he is dealt with. Hopefully I am wrong and this is his first incident and they can get him some training and anger management. As always, stay safe and make us all proud.

First of all I resepect the fact that you are RETIRED PO. I don't know where you worked or who you worked with. I do find it a little condescending that you say I will find out later in my career what the needs of the job are. You have no idea how long I have been OTJ. I am pretty sure I got a grip on how I am supposed to be at work though. I watch highly respected guys on my job as well and see how they handle situations. The problem is, we are all different. You chose your way and I choose my way. EVERY SITUATION IS DIFFERENT. Whatever it takes to get me home at night is what I am going to do. Because I write a post defending what a COP did does not mean that I am going out tonight at work and doing the same thing. Maybe he got a little too mad. The yelling I don't have any problem with. You have to give respect to get respect even if you are a teenager. Talk to me as a human being and I will do the same. Talk to me like a piece of s**t and I will do the same to you. Well according to the paper, he has never had a CIVILIAN COMPLAINT in 17 years. Now I don't know if that is true, but you can bet the media will find out the truth or just make it up. On one final note. If I need back up, I don't care what kind of a COP you are. The consequences will be on that officer after I am hopefully safe.

Talk to me as a human being and I will do the same. Talk to me like a piece of s**t and I will do the same to you.

yes, but it's a two way street. i don't care how old or young one may be, like you said, you speak to human beings as human beings; which (i think) we all are.

i generally don't have people talking to me like im a piece of terd, but im not a cop and don't have to go through those situations, so for that, i have no comment.

Has anyone bothered to get the FACTS. Has anyone viewed the FULL video. Its seems to me that the officer is guilty, until proven innocent.

I think people are taking this entire situation way too personal.

We can disconnect ourselves from the kids, from the officer and make a logical assessment of what occurred here.

We can also look at the end results and ask ourselves, "Was the outcome worth it?"

The resounding answer should be: Absolutely not.

End results:

- A 17 year veteran is suspended and being investigated. If he was a fine officer for 17 years, he's unfortunately off the street right now.

- A very large number of viewers probably saw the video and walked away thinking, "Cops abuse their power and shouldn't be trusted." Perhaps not in those words, perhaps the effect was subconscious.

- The kids involved with the incident obviously weren't scared straight because they ran home and dropped it on YouTube. They'll probably always think back to the time "that cop hassled us and assaulted 'Billy'."

So what positive came out of this event? I can't seem to find anything.

If the disrespect is so ingrained in kids today (we are indeed in the "Touch me and I'll sue you." era) then why would continued aggression be a smart choice for fixing it?

That's like trying to kill an elephant with .22LR or knocking down a brick wall with a spoon. You're using the wrong tool for the job.

You are a very well spoken gentleman, proven by using words I cant even pronounce!!! :lol: "colloquialism", can you help an older fart out by defining that term please?!! LOL

Very well put, and I agree that the cop shouldnt have pushed that kid. He was too violent and if the video wasnt shot than no one would have believed him...sadly. But, we do need more facts for this, like feralden said, and I have said earlier, we cant get many facts from a 3 minute video. Who called the cop? Why did they call? What were the kids doing other than skateboarding? Was another civilian involved or harrassed by the kids?

GM911, if you could please PM me with that definition I would APPRECIATE it!! Thanks bro.

Moose