Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

EMS Uniforms: Bringing Disease Home

6 posts in this topic

I'm just curious how many EMS providers leave and wash their EMS uniforms and gear at work?

How many of us wear our uniforms home, wash them in our family's laundry machines, put our boots in the closet, and our belt and accesories in our cars, etc.

I'm a strong advocate that when you go in for an EMS shift, you go in in street clothes, change into your uniform there. When you leave, you take a shower and deposit your uniform into a hamper for the agency to wash and sterlize where neccesary. Change back into your street clothes, leave your boots and other equipment in your locker or sealed in a bag. Although certain situations may be to "busy"" for this, I feel it should become an important standard in maintaining our line of defense against diseases, and it's just good hygenic practice.

I know when I have kids especially, I am not bringing that dirty uniform anywhere near my house......Unfortunetly, some EMS providers barely have the facilities or resources for this.

At NFD, we have a washing machine that is primarily used to clean dirty turnout gear. It also can handle regular clothes/station wear, and bed linens, like comforters and blankets. When turnout gear or stationwear is soiled with blood or body fluids, a few things are expected and will take place. The exposure/contamination will be documented and the member will be evaluated at the Norwalk ED if necessary. All soiled garments will be red bagged and handled by members wearing universal precautions. In the event of a severe amount of blood/body fluids on clothing, our Paramedics and Hospital will be consulted for advice. The member is expected to keep backup uniforms and PPE ready at their assigned station (all provided and done).

I did some research a few years ago and found that on sanitize mode, our gear washer is capable of heating the water high enough to clean and sterilize the fibers found in turnout gear and station wear. To me, this seems like an adequate program intended to keep contamination away from the members vehilces and home.

JVC

Our Union researched this a few years back with the intent on having the City be responsible for washing our uniforms. We found that indeed in NFPA 1500 and some other NFPA documents that they require that uniforms used on EMS runs stay at the station for sanitary purposes. In the end we didn't force the issue as it was one of those "bargaining chips" at the time.

To this day my girlfriend who works in a dental office goes to work in street clothes and changes into scrubs at work and back to streets at lunch then into scrubs upon return and finally back to streets at the end of the day. They are regulated by license to do this like nurses and doctors. She cannot understand how I can bring home a uniform that has a far greater potential for BBP issues. Thankfully my EMS days are fairly few and far between.

Currently, we run all "soiled" uniforms across the street to an approved laundromat who cleans them on the City's dime. But day to day uniforms are still our responsibility. I guess one could claim the uniform was soiled on any run and have it cleaned each shift, but that would start another Union issue.

Good topic.

I have co-workers who aren't allowed in the house with their work stuff...

But realistically, if it's dirty enough that you don't want to bring it home, then you should've been wearing more PPE!

Only thing to keep worrying about is the boots, ewww!

At NFD, we have a washing machine that is primarily used to clean dirty turnout gear. It also can handle regular clothes/station wear, and bed linens, like comforters and blankets. When turnout gear or stationwear is soiled with blood or body fluids, a few things are expected and will take place. The exposure/contamination will be documented and the member will be evaluated at the Norwalk ED if necessary. All soiled garments will be red bagged and handled by members wearing universal precautions. In the event of a severe amount of blood/body fluids on clothing, our Paramedics and Hospital will be consulted for advice. The member is expected to keep backup uniforms and PPE ready at their assigned station (all provided and done).

I did some research a few years ago and found that on sanitize mode, our gear washer is capable of heating the water high enough to clean and sterilize the fibers found in turnout gear and station wear. To me, this seems like an adequate program intended to keep contamination away from the members vehilces and home.

JVC

Great idea. We do the same.

Our problem is preventing some of our members from using the machines to do the family wash. It amazes me that they refuse to bring their soiled uniforms home because of the family, but they have no problem bringing the baby's cloths to work to save a buck.

Our Ambulance Corps. Does'nt have uniforms. We were street clothes. But when I go on a call, of course depending on the call I will remove my outer laying clothing in my garage and put in right in the washing machine. If it's a really bloody call, or something possibly more infectious. Bye Bye Clothing. I think everybodys right all EMS Volunteer agencies should have medical uniforms, jumpsuits, or scrubs to put over existing clothing. In todays world we don't know what is in the atmosphere, or breeding on patients. I'm just as guilty as many other responders. The flu is going around like crazy. If we get paged out for a patient not feeling well do we walk in with n100 masks. Everbody should give ourselves a pat on the back in the Emergency services. Look at the crap we have to go through.