Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jcoppola

Drill Topics

10 posts in this topic

Any members have any good drill topic ideas they would like to share?

I learned through experience that drills that last about an hour or so are some of the best. Preplanning a certain portion of a first due district is always good to do in a short period of time. Plus, you don't "lose" the members during it.

Some other things I have tried: Have the local EMS service bring their rig to the station so all members can learn where things are in it and each agency knows what to expect of the other. Also, grab digital pictures of a certain target hazard in the district and create a powerpoint on it and have the members discuss some tactics pertaining to it. Also, I got my hands on a powerpoint presentation of familiarization with the new Drag Device being installed in all new turnout gear. I saw an awesome post on here about one that got hung up on a nail during training...that is really good info to share with your crews.

Share your thoughts!

JVC

Can you tell me where I can find that powerpoint on the DRD?? I think that's a great topic to train and learn about.

Can you tell me where I can find that powerpoint on the DRD?? I think that's a great topic to train and learn about.

I am in the process of updating it with some of the photos of it stuck on a nail during a wall breach. Send me a pm with your email address and I will forward it to you when completed, then you can customize it to fit your needs.

JVC

I found the best drill topics to be the bread and butter operations. There can never be a set time or place to conduct a drill. Sure, if your dept has a scheduled drill period that you HAVE to drill well, you have to do it. But if your out and you see something unusual, then stop and take a peek.

Dont take for granted if your in an Engine company that everyone knows how to stretch a line, hook up to a hydrant, get water, and put the rig into pumps. Line placement should be discussed often. The stretch should be talked about. Over stretching causes kinks, friction loss. Understretching will deny you enough line to make that back room.

Truck work is a big topic. there are many positions and actions that could be discussed based on how many guys your ride with etc etc.

Not everyone is comfortable giving a drill or talking to people. They could be the best firemen in the world but cant communicate. For those guys i say KISS or Keep it simple stupid.

Any members have any good drill topic ideas they would like to share?

I learned through experience that drills that last about an hour or so are some of the best. Preplanning a certain portion of a first due district is always good to do in a short period of time. Plus, you don't "lose" the members during it.

Some other things I have tried: Have the local EMS service bring their rig to the station so all members can learn where things are in it and each agency knows what to expect of the other. Also, grab digital pictures of a certain target hazard in the district and create a powerpoint on it and have the members discuss some tactics pertaining to it. Also, I got my hands on a powerpoint presentation of familiarization with the new Drag Device being installed in all new turnout gear. I saw an awesome post on here about one that got hung up on a nail during training...that is really good info to share with your crews.

Share your thoughts!

JVC

Stick with basics. VES, mask confidence, self rescue, hydrant hookups, etc at a minimum.

A good drill I came up with when I was Lt in my old dept was a mutual aid drill night. We would pick a night each month or two, get together with a mutual aid company and do one of the following drills;

On one night, preferably in poor weather, we would go to each others Station and have the hosting dept give a tour to the other, showing their rigs, the locations of key tools and equipment, their hose lays, their tank capacities, how many GPM's they flow, etc etc. Than we would discuss any hazard areas/buildings in their districts and any pre-plans they have set up including the roll of the visiting dept and where they would set up etc. Swap stations and mutual aid depts each month untill your familiar with each dept.

Second drill is to set up one of two things; a pump relay with a mutual aid rig, or a tanker shuttle/fill operation. Mix it up and try different situations. Dont just go to the training center or the parking lot of the local High School....find the tightest, smallest crowded side street and see if you can effectively set up either operation without confusion or hitch. This way you find out if all of your fittings and hose are compatible with each others set-ups, and allows the MA company to learn the location of hydrants and fill sites like ponds, lakes, streams and such. Than when the big one hits, there is less chance the chief has to waste time on the radio giving directions to incoming MA.

Other that that, I agree with HFD219. You can never spend enough time on the basics and any member that complains they dont need the basics are the ones that should stay away from me at fire scenes.

With inflation and costs of living, thats my $2.02.......(sorry, bad joke.) :P

Some of the best things you can do is observe your members at operations and see what you or the officers feel can or need to be improved. At any type of call, CO, fires, investigations etc.

Also you may have members that might not feel that strong at certain skills. Openly ask what they might like to review, learn etc. If they won't do it openly have a box they can put suggestions in.

Otherwise I like your ideas. I often set up a simple in house mask confidence course that while not as tight as permanent ones gets members to respond because there is less stress going under a table and such and reinforces SCBA emergency procedures and helps identify members who may need some additional familiarity with SCBA operations and some more on air time to make them more comfortable with wearing it.

I have to agree with ALS watch your members and see what is happening with them. Then you can review and proceed from there.

Also keep things simple-- air comsumption drills-- survival skills- hose placements-simple ladder work-- ladder the fire house up one side down the other. Go look at buildings under construction--that way you get to see the building before it gets buttoned up and things get burried. Im sure you have looked at front of buildings go look at the back yards. count the number trucks going by the station or on main street that have placards then look them up that aught to scare you a little :o

Get back to basics.

Use of hand tools. When to use them. How to use them. Where they're located on the rigs. How do you repair them. What kind of maintenance needs to be performed on them...and how frequently.

Graduate at the next drill to hand held power tools. Partner saw....where/when to use them. How do you carry to the roof ? Where do you make a cut. How big is the cut. What is the purpose of the cut.

Keep drills focused and build on them. Make everyone an expert on each drill them and then graduate to more difficult and challenging topics.

Here's a good one, for one of those rainy drill nights: KNOTS!

"It's better to know a knot and not need it, than need a knot and not know it."

A very interesting website, no purchase necessary.

Click on the Knot you want to view, and watch it tie itself!

"Each knot automatically "ties itself" when the page opens. Fast and Slow buttons allow each animation to be replayed. Many of the animations can also be reflected left for right or inverted with the Normal, Mirror, Inverted, Rotated buttons under the title. To study each stage, the animation can also be played step by step: just move the mouse over the row of numbered buttons under the knot. For many knots an extra button, Structure, shows a picture which helps understand the way the knot "fits together".