Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GoDucks23

Interesting Aerial

8 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever seen this on an aerial before and if so what is the reason other then the obvious if there is any.

Seems like a pretty good idea,but probably a good amount of money extra.

post-12169-1203387830.jpg

post-12169-1203387842.jpg

Has anyone ever seen this on an aerial before and if so what is the reason other then the obvious if there is any.

Seems like a pretty good idea,but probably a good amount of money extra.

Havent seen it to that extent. I have seen smaller amounts alternating on the sides to the tip.

This is my old department so I'm pretty up to speed with the rig... I never pass up an opportunity to brag about them a little.....

The blue lighting for the aerial didn't cost any more. From what I understand, it was the first Seagrave to have it, and it was done at no cost for the marketing aspect of it.

It's a nice rig.... But the 1977 Seagrave 100ft that it replacing is one of my all time favorite rigs to ride. Until the late 1990's, it was the 1st due truck 15+ miles south to over the MD boarder (Mason Dixon Line) to the National Fire Academy and Emmitsburg Maryland. Nothing like riding on the jumpseat of that old Seagrave going down the road at 3am in freezing weather with the Detriot screeming and the dogbox keeping you warm. You looked back at the turntable and as the truck went over the contours of the road, the fly sections of the ladder would move back and forth about an inch as the cables bounced up and down.

Hell of a rig. I'm sure the new one will last another 30 years.

BTW it's all paid for by firefighter fund raising, the Department Carnival during 4th of July, and community donations. All of the equipment (R-1 & E1-1 are Sutphen engines that are less than 5 years old, Quint-1 is a 1998, E1-3 Mack CF-600, Ambulance 1A & 1A1, Service 1, Car 1, Duty 1) and the Fire Station which is beautiful are paid for in full with no debt. No fire taxes to fund this department.... If you are ever in town you should stop by the station. Great bunch of guys and gals.

Edited by mfc2257

Is it for looks or help climbing the ladder at night?

Ummm.... not there for looks....