Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spin_the_wheel

New Rochelle Dispatch

11 posts in this topic

Greetings new to this site, who did the dispatch for New Rochelle prior to 60 control? I'm surprised they do not have their own dispatch since they are somewhat of a large city. Also from reading some back threads it seems some people think 60 control still has alot to prove, I would think having New Rochelle on board would be a positive and a feather in their cap.

Dispatchers at 60 Control do a hell of a job in my opinion!!!

Dispatchers at 60 Control do a hell of a job in my opinion!!!

I agree. We've been dispatched by 60-Control for YEARS and yes they do a HELL of a job!!!! =D>

New Rochelle did their own dispatching prior to going to the county.

60 control dispatchers go a great job and are some of the calmest and most professional I've seen... It's the county wide system of company and apparatus numbering as well as the mutual aid plan that needs help. None of our apparatus numbers mean anything with relation to company designation we're still working off of a system that says if you reserved the number first it's yours. We should move to a system that works as follows... Millwood is Westchester County Company 25... Thus our apparatus ought to be Engines 25-1, 25-2, 25-3... R-25, MA-25, T-25, U-25 and Chief 25 Asst Chief 25 and 2nd Asst Chief 25.

The next fix is to preplan boxed mutual aid... We still have Chief's calling the county and saying "gimme an engine from Chappaqua, 1 & 1 from Mount Kisco, Engine from Briarcliff...." The dispatchers shouldn't have to juggle requests from the fire scene like that. The chief should know exactly what apparatus he wants and it should go into a box card that is on file with the CAD or even in a drawer at the dispatchers desks.... The chief then requests his 2nd 3rd or whatever alarm and the dispatcher already has the info in front of him. It cuts down on radio traffic too and allows the dispatchers to better work the call. There are already ways to get this rolling, but it's not specific enough.. We just handed in a rough draft of how we want our mutual aid preferences to be handled, but it only says that we want an engine or ladder or whatever from another department NOT which specific one... If I'm calling for an engine from Chappaqua, there is a HUGE difference between 144, 145 and 146. Each departments area should be boxed into specific areas and specific apparatus should be on each box card. This would make our mutual aid response much better and give our already great dispatchers the ability to do an EVEN better job of handling fire ground communications.

I have to agree with that 100% - although i was in ems, not fire in Westchester. However, during college i was in the FD/EMS in Tompkins Co NY - (early 80's), and even back then they had a system that made sense...

where x or xx is the department # in alphabetical order...

Engines were xx01, xx02, etc

Ladders xx31...

Rescue/utility xx41...

Ambulance/EMS xx51

Chiefs/officers xx61

Chiefs/officers portables xx71

On duty/On call xx81...

etc. - so if you heard a number you know exactly who/where/what you were talking to.

( OK - i don't remember what, if anything had the 10s 20s and 90's but this was 25 years ago.... lol)

Oh - and everything fire and ems related was central dispatched by the county - 1 psap for fire/ems

Dave

In Nassau some departments have an automatic mutual aide system in place that the dispatchers follow......"2nd alarm, 3rd alarm ect.....but there are still Chiefs who call mutual aide based on "who's your freind this month" and "You got us in last month , we'll return the favor" which can result in apparatus being called that is not the closest to the fire scene.

Back to the New Rochelle question, did they have their own Fire Dispatchers or did the PD dispatch them? Was it a $$ issue? Was it the cities decision or did the FD want to do it?

I can't speak to fire dispatch, but if I recall correctly EMS used to be dispatched by NRPD when Empress had the contract for the city. I'm 90% sure about this, but let me know if I'm wrong.

you are correct. NRFD was dispatched by NRPD. (KEF-934) to eng 21....etc. EMS was also dispatched by pd even after empress left and abbey came in. They were dispatched as Amb1 or Amb2. Depending on location amb 1 covered south of lincoln ave and all of pelham manor and amb 2 covered north on lincoln and all of pelham.

about when did 60 Control take over dispatch and was it an easy transition?

I know that FDNR still has the radio towers on fire HQ (AKA City Hall) Can they still dispatch themself if 60control is 'too busy; or there is a problem at 60 which is preventing dispatching?