Followers 0
Geppetto

Former firefighter sentenced to state prison for arson

17 posts in this topic

Former firefighter sentenced to state prison for arson

By Raja Abdulrahim

Times Herald-Record

February 21, 2008 11:00 AM

GOSHEN — A former Goshen volunteer firefighter was sentenced today to five to 15 years in state prison for an arson in Goshen last year.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../NEWS/802210350

Edited by jack10562
Source Site Copyright Notice

How can anyone call this guy a firefighter? A kid that had a dream of being a firefighter, yes. A real firefighter, no way!! The volunteer service should screen their people better!

This is a very sad, unfortunate case, and for all intents and purposes, this kid has ruined his life.

There really is no way to defend against this type of impulse control disorder, and I seriously doubt even, whether any routine psychological screening would have picked up on this, prior to his having been accepted into his department.

How can anyone call this guy a firefighter? A kid that had a dream of being a firefighter, yes. A real firefighter, no way!! The volunteer service should screen their people better!

How. How are volleys suppose to screen their members better? Without a history there isn't a thing that can be done. Don't forget, paid firefighters have been nailed with arson charges as well.

This is why in my (volunteer) drpartment, prior to apporval, a background check(arson) is done through SP on ALL applicants. It might not cover everything, but it's a start.

A background check for arson is useless, unless you're a serial arsonist. As a career firefighter, you're subjected to a full psychological examination as part of the application test. Granted, as Jack said, this test doesn't have a crystal ball that will tell how someone's personality may change as they mature, or their life changes, etc-but at least it's a potential.

The major problem with this, not only the property loss, but he chose to put his own brothers in danger with a single, wreckless decision.

I'm also curious, he's expected to pay $1 million in restitution....where is he going to get that kind of money, especially if he's in jail?

A background check for arson is useless, unless you're a serial arsonist. As a career firefighter, you're subjected to a full psychological examination as part of the application test. Granted, as Jack said, this test doesn't have a crystal ball that will tell how someone's personality may change as they mature, or their life changes, etc-but at least it's a potential.

The major problem with this, not only the property loss, but he chose to put his own brothers in danger with a single, wreckless decision.

I'm also curious, he's expected to pay $1 million in restitution....where is he going to get that kind of money, especially if he's in jail?

Like I said, it aint much, but it's a start. But then again your complete psyghological exam is not 100% either.

It is a shame that this individual made this split second decision to put his fellow volunteer firefighters in harms way. It is also a shame that his life is ruined. I can say that my district is all about taking anyone they can get right now to fill the numbers. I have seen some very "strange" people walking though our doors saying that they are firefighters. I wouldn't trust most of them to back me up, I can tell you that. The problem is that they get firefighter 1 under their belt and think they're fireman. Most just want to ride on the big red trucks with the lights on and the sirens blowing. I actually had one kid say after a call that, "that was really fun". Where do they find these people? I just think that instead of taking just anyone, take quality not quantity! I would rather have 20 great volunteers around than 100 useless ones. Volunteer and Career service both have unless people and yes, arsonists. I do believe that most are on the volunteer side. Most career people get action and don't have the need to generate calls for their departments. Most of us get enough action on our tours of duty.

This is why in my (volunteer) drpartment, prior to apporval, a background check(arson) is done through SP on ALL applicants. It might not cover everything, but it's a start.

Its actually state law that every fire company conduct a background check on prospective members. Otherwise, the fire company could be liable for the acts of the prospective member, once admitted into the company.

Its actually state law that every fire company conduct a background check on prospective members. Otherwise, the fire company could be liable for the acts of the prospective member, once admitted into the company.

Thanks, for the info. didn't know that. Being an ex, I guess I'm too long out of the loop. LOL

Where is that law?

Where is that law?

NYS Executive Law I don't know where the smileys came from. All I did was cut & paste

§ 837-o. Search for arson conviction records of volunteer firefighter

applicants. 1. Any person who applies for membership in a fire company,

as such term is defined in section three of the volunteer firefighters'

benefit law, or who seeks to transfer as a member to another fire

company, shall be required to authorize the submission of his or her

name and other authorized identifying information to the division which

shall search its files for records indicating whether the person stands

convicted of the crime of arson. The chief of the fire company to which

application is made shall provide written notice to the applicant that a

search will be conducted, and if the applicant desires to proceed, he or

she shall complete a search request on the form provided for this

purpose by the division of criminal justice services.

2. Within ten business days of receipt from the applicant, the chief

of the fire company shall send the completed search request form to

either (i) the sheriff's department of the county in which the fire

company is located, or (ii) the department of state, office of fire

prevention and control, as follows:

(a) the sheriff's department of the county in which the fire company

is located shall be responsible for receiving the search requests and

processing the search requests with the division within ten business

days of receipt from the chief of the fire company, unless the county

legislative body adopts and files with the secretary of state pursuant

to the municipal home rule law a local law providing that the sheriff's

department shall not have such responsibility;

(B ) in all other instances where a county legislative body has adopted

a local law pursuant to paragraph (a) of this subdivision, the

department of state, office of fire prevention and control shall be

responsible for receiving search requests and forwarding the search

requests to the division.

The department of state, office of fire prevention and control is hereby

authorized to establish a communication network with the division for

the purpose of forwarding search requests and receiving search results

pursuant to paragraph (B ) of this subdivision.

3. (a) All searches concerning the application for membership in a

fire company shall be conducted under the provisions of subdivision six

of section eight hundred thirty-seven of this article without the

assessment of any fee to the applicant or fire company and shall pertain

solely to ascertaining whether the applicant stands convicted of arson.

(B ) The results of the search shall be communicated in writing, within

ten business days of receipt from the division, to the chief of the fire

company from which the search request originated by either the sheriff's

department or the department of state, office of fire prevention and

control, and shall be kept confidential by the chief, except as provided

in paragraph (c ) of this subdivision. The results of the search shall

only state either that: (i) the applicant stands convicted of arson, or

(ii) the applicant has no record of conviction for arson. The results of

the search shall not divulge any other information relating to the

criminal history of the applicant.

(c ) At the time an applicant is advised that he or she is ineligible

for membership due to a record of conviction for arson, he or she shall

also be advised of the rights to challenge and appeal the information

contained in the record of conviction as provided in the rules and

regulations of the division. The applicant shall continue to be barred

from membership until all administrative and judicial challenges to the

accuracy of such information or appeals therefrom, are ultimately

resolved in his or her favor, or if such a determination is

unchallenged.

NYS Department of State Website - http://www.dos.state.ny.us/fire/legislation.htm

ARSON HISTORY CHECKS — Chapter 423. The Executive Law was amended to add a new section 837-o, which requires fire chiefs to obtain an arson history background check of any applicant for membership in a volunteer fire company effective April 1, 2000. The check is to be conducted by the Division of Criminal Justice Services at no cost to the applicant or the fire company. If history of an arson conviction is found, the applicant is barred from membership. The Town Law, Village Law, and Not-for-Profit Corporation Law were also amended to require the arson history checks.

I knew that the background checks were law but I didnt see anywhere about the liability of the Chief and or company being a law.

I knew that the background checks were law but I didnt see anywhere about the liability of the Chief and or company being a law.

The liability lies with the AHJ. Arson checks are law in NY and any AHD must comply with the law.

On another note the executive law should be expanded to allow for a total criminal background check.