Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DOC22

(Policy Update) Citing Laws In Posts

22 posts in this topic

Members,

It seems that we are experiencing more and more discussions where posters claim something is local, county, state or federal law.

Effective immediately, if you are going to make a statement about something being or referring to a law, you must cite the particular law. If possible, please provide a link to that law.

Failure to do so may result in your post being deleted.

Thanks for your cooperation!

-DOC22

Director Of Member Relations, EMTBravo

Much appreciated! I think this will really help to drive more discussions in a much more mature and productive direction.

Just out of curiosity, does this include OSHA regulations as well??

Yes.

If, for example, you want to make a statement: "OSHA says you have to wear SCBA"

then you would have to cite OSHA - CFR 1910.146 Respiratory Protection as the source for your information

Easy.

Is this a new law? Where is the link?

Yes.

If, for example, you want to make a statement: "OSHA says you have to wear SCBA"

then you would have to cite OSHA - CFR 1910.146 Respiratory Protection as the source for your information

Easy.

Actually, if memory serves me correctly, isn't it 1910.134? :P

That was my exact suggestion a few weeks ago!

<Feb 3 2008, 03:45 PM>

I personally believe, when anyone cites "State Law" in their argument, they need to back it up with specifics. Other Members can be negatively impacted if they leave this site, thinking future decisions they may make are based on “State Law” that they ‘learned’ on EMTBravo. Am I off base?

Edited by INIT915

No, you are not off base.

Your suggestion, among others, was part of the reasoning behind this decision. Thanks!

People need to remember that posts made here are the opinion of the poster, and while they may appear to be authoritative and accurate, they are (excuse the caps) "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.

Hopefully this will stimulate readers to do more research, and will improve the overall value of the information obtained from the discussions here.

Question: How specific/formal do we need to be?

For example, if I'm citing part Article 150 of the NYS Penal Code, do I have to write "NYS Penal Code 150.00",

or can I just say Article 150, Section 00, or Article 65, Section 9 of the NYS ABC Law?

Just asking.

-Joe DA BUFF

For example, if I'm citing part Article 150 of the NYS Penal Code, do I have to write "NYS Penal Code 150.00",

or can I just say Article 150, Section 00, or Article 65, Section 9 of the NYS ABC Law?

Just asking.

-Joe DA BUFF

I think that should be sufficient, however the more defined your source reference is (if you have it) would be for better for others who might want to research further, (if they choose to).

Just asking.

-Joe DA BUFF

I am sure that so long as you provide SOME information that can be, lets say copied and pasted into Google, and come up with the result is fine.

Also, as was mentioned, if that information is online, posting a link directly to it would also clarify precisely what you are referring to. And yes, I know that not everything we post can be accessed online, its just one way to help! :P

Thanks Jack10562 for the prompt reply! I apologize that I did not provide a link, the links to N.Y.S. Laws are down right now! Most curious. Thanks again!

-Joe DA BUFF

Actually, if memory serves me correctly, isn't it 1910.134? :P

Correct

QUOTE(jack10562 @ Feb 24 2008, 05:50 PM)

Yes. If, for example, you want to make a statement: "OSHA says you have to wear SCBA"

Easy.

1910.146 is the Confied Space standard

Correct

QUOTE(jack10562 @ Feb 24 2008, 05:50 PM)

Yes. If, for example, you want to make a statement: "OSHA says you have to wear SCBA"

Easy.

1910.146 is the Confied Space standard

Thanks fellas!

That "quote" was an example I made up, and goes to show you that information posted is not necessarily accurate or otherwise, as it seems. :lol:

Here is a link to all New York State Laws. There is a lot there, you just need to search through to find what you want.

Thanks Steve... The site had been non-functional the last time I logged on.

P.S. Ossining hosts an AWESOME parade each year.

-Joe DA BUFF

Thanks Steve... The site had been non-functional the last time I logged on.

P.S. Ossining hosts an AWESOME parade each year.

-Joe DA BUFF

I've always gone through to that site through the New York Senate site, then clicked on Bills & Laws. I searched and found the direct link which I posted above.

I'll be at the parade and all the other activities of the WCVFA Convention, so I'll see you there.

And, here is the link to the OSHA Codes of Federal Regulations Sub-Parts.

I think these are a bit clearer and easier to understand and locate what you are looking for.

http://www.osha.gov

JVC