Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Harrisburg 2008

11 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Will be making a trip to the US in May this year and hope to get to the Harrisburg show, can anyone give me a run down, plan to be there on the Friday and Saturday, might even be able to say g'day to a few of you !!

Cheers

Darren

South Australia

Here's the website... Hope it helps.

EXPO

Greetings Darren!

Harrisburg is an AWESOME show, it is GIAGANTIC and has all kinds of equipment both on display and for sale. It's inside several HUGE exhbitit halls.

Numerous major and local fire apparatus manufacturers attend, and usually have the best demos they can bring from across the country (In past years, I've seen demo's from Phoenix, AZ Fort Worth, TX and FDNY, to name a few). There's all different kinds of apparatus on display, and many are "fully loaded" and spectacular, given the apparatus-loving culture of the area. It's quickly becoming one of the "must attends" for apparatus manufacturers.

Harrisburg is not much of a "destination" though as far as the city is concerned. However, it is within an hour or so from Baltimore and Philidelphia, and a few more minutes from Washington, DC, all cities I highly reccomend checking out.

I guarenteee you'll have a great time! I hope I can make it and meet you. Let me know if you need any other information for your trip.

-Seth G.

Thanks mate, I will be in touch, see how we go, lots to do, and plan, but the tickets are booked, we are coming for sure !

If this is your first time to the states, welcome and enjoy yourself.

Thanks for that mate, I have been before, and the reason I am coming back, I found American firefighters the most hospitable group of people, no matter where I went I was made most welcome, you guys should be proud of that fact and I only hope that if any of you come to Australia you find the same hospitality, just a hsame most of us don't have the facilities at our stations to put you up for a night or 2.

Again I look forward to meeting some of you, and checking out your gear, you guys don't know how lucky you have it, we can't even come close to the level of equipment and the quality of equipment you have over there !!

Cheers

Darren

As both a firefighter and a Harrisburg local, I can say that expo week is perhaps the most exciting time of the year for us. Due to the size of the the Harrisburg Farm Show Complex (where expo is held at) there are many of us that will go for all three days. Many new rigs out here are KME sold through the Harrisburg KME dealer (Fire and Rescue Products aka FRP). FRP is where pretty much all of the manufacturers send their rigs to get washed prior to staging them on the floor (the dealership is not even two miles away, making it pretty convenient for people to get to). Also, many people out here are able to get all weekend passes through FRP. If you do come out here for the show, try to stay for at least two days so you get to see everything and are not rushed through it. If you are coming out here to buy gear/tools/decals ect I would recommend staying though Sunday when a lot of the dealers slash prices just so they don't have to pack up everything. If anybody is coming out here and want to know good places to eat, nice firehouses to visit or anything else just shoot me a message and I'll be happy to help you out in anyway possible.

Thanks for the info, from the info received I am 100% sure we will be there, my brother and myself both work and volunteer for the service, so are very interested in anything fire related,, and are keen to learn about some of your tools etc, and its high time I got myself a proper Halligan to, damn 3 piece pretend halligans !!

Darren -

It is great to see folks from other ends of the worl come to the US to see what american fire service is about.

Harrisburg is a great town. There is a gret night life on second street w/ ton's of great eateries. There is also a minor league baseball team.

http://www.visithhc.com/harrisburgpa.shtml

You can also check out alot of firehouse history @ the following places:

harrisburg fire musuem, www.pnfm.org - They usually have an open house one if the nights of the expo.

union fire co museum - www.unionfire.org - Always Open - Just call ahead to give them a heads up.

franklin fire co - www.sta4.com

Here is another local fireboard to ask about the harrisburgh area. www.centralpafire.com

Look forward to seeing you at the show..

stay safe.

Edited by ldrco195

union fire co museum - www.unionfire.org - Always Open - Just call ahead to give them a heads up.

The website is www.unionfireco.org and our museum is open from 8a to 6p, provided that we're not out on a call. There is always someone there, just find the driver and he'll show you around

Howdy guys, confirming we will be at Harrisburg, hope to say G'day to a few of you, and load of on the nik naks.