Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

Google Maps Sticky

14 posts in this topic

Can an admin/Mod make a sticky with a link to the Google Maps (version photo'd on 4/17/04, with photo/mapping overlays) somewhere as a quick link to same, poss in IA area so people can get a quick shot of where the job is and so on? Just set it up for White Plains or something as a starting point!

I'm not sure I understand what it is you want to try and do, particularly why it would have to be a "pinned" post.

If someone wanted to put up a Google Map / satellite view to pinpoint a location for an IA or other job, that can be done anytime, in the IA workshop section.

If I made a sticky post with a Google map URL, only myself or another Mod would be able to edit that particular post for any changes.

Okay, for an example, here is a White Plains Google Map link: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...mp;t=h&z=14

I guess what I am trying to figure out is what would making that URL sticky accomplish?

So when an IA goes out, we can click on it and be brought immediately to a map with a picture from a satellite to see what the job is dealing with. Having the link pinned will make it easier to find, I actually had to use Google maps tonight to assist on radios with the YPD pursuit, had to find the earlier post and use the link and worked from there. I like being able to see just what the other jobs are dealing with in essence...just an idea of course...If it were pinned, click to go, and then move it where you want it, instantaneously...

So when an IA goes out, we can click on it and be brought immediately to a map with a picture from a satellite to see what the job is dealing with. Having the link pinned will make it easier to find, I actually had to use Google maps tonight to assist on radios with the YPD pursuit, had to find the earlier post and use the link and worked from there. I like being able to see just what the other jobs are dealing with in essence...just an idea of course...If it were pinned, click to go, and then move it where you want it, instantaneously...

Oh just put it in your Internet Explorer favorites, you buff!!!! Oh yeah, your video is in the mail!!!

:lol:

I don't want MIS snooping around my favorites...LOL

You could use the URL from above and create your own browser shortcut in your Bookmarks, Favorites, or Links, depending on what browser you use.

What I've done for myself is I made a Google maps shortcut in my quick launch toolbar, so when I want to look up something locally I click it and a new window pops up with an area map that I selected previously.

Not all of us are always on our home computers....sometimes we are borrowing time...

You know what, I don't ask for a whole lot on this site, I contribute both with posting and money, regularly. I also try to interest people from around the area in the EmtB family, as well as the other department websites I visit. I am confused as to why this should not be made a sticky, this is a tool, other sticky's include the WC Plate assignments, another thing anyone with a browser can do themselves, or the radio frequencies list, which can be accessed similarly using any of a number of websites. I was just asking for 1 stop shopping. If I am looking at an IA and want to see what is going on, clicking on a link would just make it more simple, as I said earlier, sometimes we can't set our favorites due to other types of issues not worth getting into on here. But let us continue to debate issues such as membership status...sorry, but I am getting tired of the red tape myself...

Thank you, didn't mean to be harsh, but I thought it was a good thing.

No problem. I hope it helps you and anyone else who might need that.

That is pretty cool thanks. I never realized it but behind the Kensico Dam in the reservoir under the water it says 2008 Google. I wonder what else could be under that water? Must dive down and see. Now does that mean on an Incident Alert we can hit a link that will take us to that map but where the Incident is? That would be cool.

ONEEYEDMIC I think that was what Oswego was trying to do but I don't see how that would work.

Check the last two incident alerts that I posted...you will click on the link in the IA post and be brought straight to the block...of course this is not required but I will do it.