Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest paramedico987

New Multiband Portable!

9 posts in this topic

"The Commander" turned me onto this thing... We're both totally psyched to see what this radio costs and what it can do [in addition to what is already known].

It's not on the market just yet, as Harris is still working of FCC shenanigans...

30-512mhz

Project 25

AM

Waterproof to 2 Meters Submerged

I'm not sure if it can do trunked and the brochure doesn't seem to list DPL [although I can't imagine it would do P25 but not DPL...]

This is one DURABLE radio, built upon a military platform.

The PDF brochure is too large to upload here, but it'll come up in a search engine if you enter the model number.

Here is a link to this new radio:

http://www.thalescomminc.com/liberty/html/...iberty%20AD.pdf

I received first hand info that a PD in Rockland County is testing a few of these radios. The inside info I got was that the cost of the radio is over $10K and the vehicle mounted charger/convertcom that pretty much turns the radio into a mobile radio also has a cost if $10K

10K? as in 10,000 dollars?

$10K! Outch!

http://mrtmag.com/iwce/news/p25-radios-thales-0228/

LAS VEGAS--The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Science and Technology (S&T) Directorate demonstrated a Project 25 (P25) multi-band radio capable of supporting multiple public-safety frequency bands yesterday at the 2008 International Wireless Communications Expo.

From what I have heard, the real world pricing will probably be closer to $5,000. While that seems like a pretty serious chunk of change, remember that this can replace multiple $2,000-$4,000 radios, saving money overall, and certainly making life easier.

Thales did not create this to be a radio for everyone on the line, it is meant to be used as an interoperability tool for upper level command and control personnel.

My understanding at this time is that it is targeted to support all standards defined protocols, but does not support non-standard manufacturer proprietary protocols. In other words, it will support the full P25 feature set, including 9600bps control channel trunking. It will not support non-standards formats like MDC1200, FleetSync, etc. It is also my understanding that it does not support Motorola's legacy 3600bps control channels, so no joy on the Westchester trunked system. However, since this is a software defined radio platform, anything is theoretically possible, given enough interest, money, and the blessing of the marketing and legal types.

Edited by 40-32 Comms

Sounds like a good option if all works out well. I wouldn;t mind seeing on in each engine and each cheifs car. In my department it would be benifit us by allowing us to comunicate to public works and fire police which operate on a low band freq. while our firegound is all high band, makeing life much easier on our incident comanders.