Geppetto

Update on Stamford Merger

2,106 posts in this topic

How does a volunteer FD owe it's chief, president, and volunteers a huge amount of money?

Yes, the bank accounts would be consolidated to some extent (capital projects savings, purchasing).

The FD owes its career memebers money because they have been underfunded and under staffed by the city for many years. The career guys have to work a lot of OT becuase the city wouldn't let them hire any more guys, but they weren't funded for OT, so they have been working for free. You can't really have any lower staffing than 1 per station, haha.

Edited by Alpinerunner

How does a volunteer FD owe it's chief, president, and volunteers a huge amount of money?

The Long Ridge Paid Drivers Association is currently seeking money for past wages in excess of over a million dollars. The Paid Driver's Association is suing the Volunteer Fire Company for the money owed.

The interesting part is that several of the 9 members of the Paid Driver's Association all serve and run the same volunteer Department in volunteer capacities, including positions such as Chief, Assistant Chief, and Treasurer...

This should be great testimony for the Chief, Assistant Chief and Treasurer who are all suing themselves.

How would that work under cross examination? Would the Chief have to quickly change costumes and jump back and forth between roles?

Sound ridiculous? You bet it is....what is even more ridiculous is the concept of using this same highly dysfunctional system as the platform to build a new Fire Department on.

What could go wrong?

what is even more ridiculous is the concept of using this same highly dysfunctional system as the platform to build a new Fire Department on.

What could go wrong?

This is a common misconception. Long Ridge is understaffed. They themselves have been saying it for years and have requested more guys per shift. There is no intention to copy their structure as it has to do with manpower or having the officers be the paid staff. The ONLY reason you are hearing this rumor (manufactured for a good reason, I'm sure) that the consolidated department is going to be just like Long Ridge, is because they have the right corporate structure for the new consolidated department. NOT management/operational structure. It has to do with their charter or past legal rulings or their union. I'm not sure of the details.

However, no other career staff in the other departments were also volunteer officers.

Edited by Alpinerunner

As Navin Johnson once said -

"Things are going to start happening to me right now."

Stamford Patch

01/13/11

Bobby Valentine Takes Public Safety Job in Stamford, Will Keep ESPN Position

The former MLB manager starts in his job as Stamford's new director of public safety, health and welfare.

Bobby Valentine, the popular former Major League Baseball manager and Stamford native, Thursday morning was named to a new cabinet position in the city’s government.

In a press briefing at Government Center, Stamford Mayor Michael Pavia introduced Valentine as the city's new director of public safety, health and welfare....

http://stamford.patch.com/articles/bobby-valentine-takes-public-safety-job-in-stamford-will-keep-espn-position

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Pavia-names-Bobby-Valentine-as-Stamford-public-954664.php

Edited by Geppetto

BREAKING NEWS

Mayor Pavia just appointed Bobby Valentine as Director of Public Safety for the City of Stamford

Edit: Ooops. Posted before Geppeto's post appeared.

Edited by 242steve

so what credentials does valentine have?

None.

The Long Ridge Paid Drivers Association is currently seeking money for past wages in excess of over a million dollars. The Paid Driver's Association is suing the Volunteer Fire Company for the money owed.

The interesting part is that several of the 9 members of the Paid Driver's Association all serve and run the same volunteer Department in volunteer capacities, including positions such as Chief, Assistant Chief, and Treasurer...

This should be great testimony for the Chief, Assistant Chief and Treasurer who are all suing themselves.

How would that work under cross examination? Would the Chief have to quickly change costumes and jump back and forth between roles?

Sound ridiculous? You bet it is....what is even more ridiculous is the concept of using this same highly dysfunctional system as the platform to build a new Fire Department on.

What could go wrong?

Who exactly is the "employer" for the "Long Ridge Paid Drivers Association"? It would seem that it would be the fire company itself since they are being sued for the wages. So how are they getting around federal labor laws prohibiting volunteering for your employer if they are serving as volunteer officers in that same department?

Maybe he can lead Stamford to a World Series!!!

At this point it really doesn't matter since he's been appointed. I'm sure he'll do at least as good a job as the previous administration's choice for far less money.

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs

At this point it really doesn't matter since he's been appointed.

So, when an elected official makes an appointment we're just supposed to sit and accept it?

I'm sure he'll do at least as good a job as the previous administration's choice

Zero times Zero = Zero

In all fairness, Callion didn't have any either, and was just the mayor's public puppet, even if he couldn't speak very well.

Even if I find this as quite a surprise, I don't see it as a game changer.

Who exactly is the "employer" for the "Long Ridge Paid Drivers Association"? It would seem that it would be the fire company itself since they are being sued for the wages. So how are they getting around federal labor laws prohibiting volunteering for your employer if they are serving as volunteer officers in that same department?

The FLSA violations have been going on for years without challenge. One would wonder at what point the issue catches up with them, but why start enforcement now?

At this point it really doesn't matter since he's been appointed. I'm sure he'll do at least as good a job as the previous administration's choice for far less money.

Cogs

Pete:

Are you aware of the qualifications for the other applicants for this job?

I am aware of several fire officials and a former federal law enforcement official all with substantial resumes and experience.

I wonder what precluded them for consideration for this job?

So, when an elected official makes an appointment we're just supposed to sit and accept it?

What choice do we have? Should we all go down to City Hall with torches and pitchforks and demand his removal? Maybe a lynching is in order? Or here's a novel approach, maybe we give the guy a shot at the job that he's already been appointed to before making up our minds one way or the other.

Zero times Zero = Zero

Whether or not Mr. Valentine is a "zero" as a Public Safety Director remains to be seen although I'm sure some have already made up their minds due to his previous position as the Chairman of the Mayor's Fire Service Task Force last year. On the other hand your assessment of the previous holder of that position is on the money.

Cogs

Can someone find the "job posting" for the Directors postion? I know it was posted on a forum just can't seem to find it.

Pete:

Are you aware of the qualifications for the other applicants for this job?

I am aware of several fire officials and a former federal law enforcement official all with substantial resumes and experience.

I wonder what precluded them for consideration for this job?

I am aware of the qualifications of one of them as for the others no I am not.

I'm sure there were candidates that would have been excellent choices and it is very possible and maybe even probable that they were in fact considered and not simply precluded. In the end though it is the Mayor's perogative to appoint who he sees fit for whatever reasons he sees fit is it not? No matter who had been chosen there would be those who would find fault with the choice especially in the climate that exists here.

It is done, time to move forward....or backwards I suppose depending on your point of view...:P

Cogs

OMG! Stamford is in the process of turning into a "Third World Country" that Coggs speaks of.........Bend over and grab your ankles!

Watch out for the guy sitting in at meetings with the fake glasses and mustache,

This is not about qualifications or what is best for public safety both police and fire related. This is about someone who will 1, maybe actually speak with the men/women who are serving this community because the mayor is too scared to... I mean has been advised not to. And 2, pushing the B.S. that is already coming out of 888. The mayor was quoted saying that he (Bobby V) already knows all about the fire service in Stamford... WHAT? What does he know? He knows how to be the "mayor's" puppet. This is not what Stamford needs no matter what "side" of the fence you're on. We are talking about people's lives here people. This is not a game. IT IS PUBLIC SAFETY!!!

Edited by FD828

Hey, did you hear that if the Jets win the Super Bowl, Mayor Bloomberg is hiring Rex Ryan to replace Comm. Sal Cassano......Check out his qualifications....Right up there with Bobby V's....Just sayin'

Hey, did you hear that if the Jets win the Super Bowl, Mayor Bloomberg is hiring Rex Ryan to replace Comm. Sal Cassano......Check out his qualifications....Right up there with Bobby V's....Just sayin'

Just because your teaming is WATCHING football now doesn't mean you have to be a hater! But your point is well taken!

What a joke that is! Wow, Political payback is alive and well in Stamford, CT. Become a member of the Mayor's Task Force concerning a new fire plan, agree with the Mayor and guess what....you're now Public Safety Director. Hey Bobby...stay with baseball.....you know nothing about the intricate operations of a fire department...don't try to pretend that you do.

BREAKING NEWS

Mayor Pavia just appointed Bobby Valentine as Director of Public Safety for the City of Stamford

Edit: Ooops. Posted before Geppeto's post appeared.

His qualification for this job is the only one that matters: He is friends with the mayor.

This whole thing has turned into the biggest joke in the whole emergency service community. People from Boston to Florida that I haven't spoken with in years wanted to know what the hell is happening to the fire service in Stamford. Sad statement to say the least.

Maybe x152 can identify the officers for me?

(From Long Ridge Fire Company website)

post-2931-0-16656300-1294959932.jpg

Maybe x152 can identify the officers for me?

(From Long Ridge Fire Company website)

This is what is coming to save you up North! It looks like something out of Deliverance......

Sound ridiculous? You bet it is....what is even more ridiculous is the concept of using this same highly dysfunctional system as the platform to build a new Fire Department on. What could go wrong?

If the paid members are also volunteering in the same dept, the dept or the "new" consolidated VFD had better put some additional funds aside, so that after this legal action is resolved they will have the money to pay the additional OT that they will be slapped with. UNder the U.S. Fair Labor Standards Act. Career personnel volunteering for the same employeer are entitled to compensation (ot) for all hours worked (including those as a volunteer). Montgomery County Maryland, found this out the hard way, when 1 member complained, they had to pay all of them and it was in the millions.
helicopper likes this