Geppetto

Update on Stamford Merger

2,106 posts in this topic

Trial over fire service ends

City, volunteers await decision

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

06/07/2009

STAMFORD -- The hearings are over. The wait begins.

The trial portion of the lawsuit between the city and one of its volunteer fire departments, Turn of River, concluded last week. Now both sides await a decision from Judge Kevin Tierney that will come within 120 days.

The Turn of River Fire Department covers 15 square miles where rural North Stamford meets the more developed southern half of the city. In 2007, the department sued the city to block a consolidation plan that would have staffed its firehouses with city firefighters from Stamford Fire & Rescue, the career department that covers downtown Stamford. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_12541672

Stamford volunteer fire department wins $288,000 lawsuit against city

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

06/25/2009

STAMFORD -- A superior court judge ordered the city to pay $287,762 to the volunteer Turn of River Fire Department before June 30, two years after the department took the city to court over severe budgets cuts.

Citing budget impropriety, Judge Kevin Tierney issued a bench decision Wednesday in favor of the volunteer-run department that resolved one of two lawsuits Turn of River has against the city over budget cuts, diversion of property tax revenue and the alleged contract violations. A 25-page decision in the second lawsuit should be issued soon, Tierney wrote in this week's most recent judgement. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_12688934

Can you say ... appeal?

First and foremost: Congrats to TRFD.

An appeal is most assuredly guaranteed, but the fact is the victory has been won in terms of funding. As expected I am glad to see that result, but that jubilation is tempered by the reality that money doesn't in and of itself solve all of the issues plaguing Stamford's fire services. Now that it is clear that as far as the courts and therefore the law is concerned TRFD is entitled to it's funding, it is time for all to move forward fully appreciating that fact to resolve those issues.

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs

First and foremost: Congrats to TRFD.

An appeal is most assuredly guaranteed, but the fact is the victory has been won in terms of funding. As expected I am glad to see that result, but that jubilation is tempered by the reality that money doesn't in and of itself solve all of the issues plaguing Stamford's fire services. Now that it is clear that as far as the courts and therefore the law is concerned TRFD is entitled to it's funding, it is time for all to move forward fully appreciating that fact to resolve those issues.

Cogs

Hopefully the city will let it rest and not spend taxpayer dollars on an appeal.

Judge rules against city; volunteer firefighters get second life

06/25/09

The Stamford Times

By CHASE WRIGHT

STAMFORD -- A court found the City of Stamford failed to properly fund one of its volunteer fire companies Wednesday and granted money to Turn of River Fire to sustain operations next year....

http://www.thestamfordtimes.com/story/471366

Malloy awaiting details of TOR court order

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

06/26/2009

STAMFORD -- In reaction to a court order that says the city must pay $287,762 to a volunteer fire department, Mayor Dannel Malloy said he will wait for the judge's complete decision to come out before deciding what to do.

A superior court judge this week ordered the city to pay the money to the volunteer Turn of River Fire Department before June 30 in a lawsuit between the fire department and the city. It comes two years after the fire department first took the city to court to fight a consolidation plan with a city-run career fire department. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_12700355

Very interesting...now we wait for Belltown's fate...Will it be similar? I know the case is being heard in a different city so it ought to be interesting.

Stamford pays volunteer fire department nearly $290,000

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

07/11/2009

STAMFORD -- Complying with a court order, the city this week paid the all-volunteer Turn of River Fire Department nearly $290,000, six days after a June 30 deadline.

The $287,762 that Superior Court Judge Kevin Tierney ordered the city to pay Turn of River

City Attorney Tom Cassone said he intended to appeal the court order and filed a motion to delay the $287,762 payment Superior Court Judge Kevin Tierney ordered the city to pay Turn of River....

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_12817927

New fire service needs to rise from ashes

Stamford Advocate

Editorial

07/30/2009

The Springdale Fire Co., which is run by volunteers, is in debt. It cannot buy fuel for its emergency vehicles, and wants financial support from the city.

"The city has an obligation to fund us," Springdale Fire Chief Shawn Fahan says.

But the city doesn't see it that way -- it already gave the department nearly enough to cover its debt over the past two months.

"The fact that the city sent you over $22,000 is indisputable," says William Callion, director of public safety.

That might be. But what is really indisputable is that fighting among the various factions of Stamford's fire service is going to continue until a much bigger problem is solved. And that is how Stamford should best provide fire protection to its citizens....

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/opinion/ci_12947076

Some of us are working diligently to resolve the issues, whether or not we will succeed remains to be seen. But no matter which "side" you believe is "right" in all this one thing is for sure...

Failure to try guarantees only one thing...failure.

Cogs

"Failure is not an option"

Gene Kranz

:D

Never have truer words been spoken (or typed...LOL)

Cogs

Stamford firefighters were 'petty,' judge says

Judge calls some incidents 'petty'

By Jeff Morganteen - Stamford Advocate

08/16/2009

STAMFORD -- In his decision released this past week on a lawsuit between the city and one of its volunteer fire departments, a state Superior Court judge said he heard evidence of several incidents between Stamford's volunteer and paid firefighters that "gave new dimension to the word 'petty.' "

The 56-page decision, released Tuesday, detailed the justification of ordering the city to pay the Turn of River Fire Department $287,762 in June. It also ruled in favor of the city in one instance by saying the volunteer fire department failed to prove that city administrators diverted taxpayer money from the Turn of River fire district to pay for a city-run career department, calling it a "novel theory." ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_13140951

This is the follow-up to the 6/25/09 posting.

As usual G, thanks for the update.

Let the circus begin.

Cogs

Not only has the circus begun, it has ended, the fat lady has sung...the clowns have removed thier makeup...the tent has been taken down...the animals have been packed on the train and everyone's head has exploded from hearing about this issue that seems to have more staying power than used plutonium.

Not only has the circus begun, it has ended, the fat lady has sung...the clowns have removed thier makeup...the tent has been taken down...the animals have been packed on the train and everyone's head has exploded from hearing about this issue that seems to have more staying power than used plutonium.

And my friend the end is nowhere in sight.

Stamford mayoral race - 1 candidate finally makes a statement regarding fire services -

Martin wants to focus on unifying fire service

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

09/05/2009

STAMFORD -- David Martin, the Democratic candidate for mayor and president of the Board of Representatives, proposed setting citywide performance standards, changing vague city Charter provisions and offering car-tax incentives to active and committed volunteer firefighters as ways to potentially resolve the years-long conflict between the city and its volunteer fire departments.

Martin said he is in favor of a unified fire service with all six fire departments operating under uniform standards based on geographic districts, not departments, as well as drafting stronger operational contracts between the city and the volunteer companies....

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_13278508

and his opposition says -

Pavia seeks to emulate model hybrid fire system

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

Updated: 09/06/2009

STAMFORD -- Republican mayoral candidate Michael Pavia said he is confident a new administration in City Hall can bring together city officials and chiefs from Stamford's fire departments, despite years of simmering mistrust and bitterness between them.

"Sometimes you need to open the window and let some fresh air in the room, and people will talk again," Pavia said. "The way it's situated now, there's bad blood."

Pavia said he is in favor of restructuring Stamford's fire service but would first sit down with volunteer chiefs, city officials, Stamford Fire & Rescue chiefs and more "objective minds" -- whom he would not yet name -- to hash out a common agreement between parties. He said he would look at a municipality where a combination of paid and volunteer firefighters worked successfully, and use that model to build a working hybrid system in Stamford. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_13278509

Here is my take on this: This opinion is what I have posted on the Advocate forums in regards to these two articles, but it fits just as well here.

"The volunteer system does indeed have some major deficiencies, but these can be remedied. One positive step is offering incentives to attract new members as well as keep the current ones. These types of programs have been in place elsewhere for some time and have had a positive effect to varying degrees where implemented. Any increase in volunteers which may come through such a program should be welcomed as it will save the City and by extension the taxpayers money, while providing an adequate pool of volunteers to staff their firehouses. But incentives and even an increase in numbers is but one part of a complete overhaul of "the system" which in all honesty is long overdue. I for one do not fear performance based funding, but welcome it. That coupled with some reorganization and possibly a redistribution of resources, which would constitute another aspect of an overhaul are the start. Add to that a standardized training and certification program for all firefighters, as well as standardized officer quailifications and we will be well on the road to providing this City with the fire service is deserves.

Anyone who knows me knows that I believe that a reorganized combination system is what would "solve" the current situation. This would entail career personnel staffing the VFD firehouses during the day Monday-Friday with crews of 4 at each, supplemented by volunteers when possible. The volunteers would then STAFF their firehouses with duty crews for nights and weekends at the same level. Responses would be collective either as mutual aid or as a part of one combined combination department. Putting all this in place, phased in over a couple of years as the number of TRAINED and certified volunteers increases would then provide the community with 24/7 365 coverage at considerable savings over an all paid system, to the tune of about $4,000,000.

Whether you agree or not or even believe such an outcome is possible, the potential to save the taxpayers roughly 4 million dollars is well worth the effort to try. At least to this taxpayer and every other one I've talked to".

Bash away!!!

Stay Safe

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs

There is a separate thread running regarding this item; however, it has some bearing here as well -

TOR awarded grant to hire 16 firefighters

Has potential to bring Turn of River Fire Department staffing back to pre-2008 levels

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

09/20/2009

STAMFORD -- The Turn of River Fire Department has been awarded a $1.7 million federal grant to hire 16 career firefighters -- manpower it lost as a result of a protracted dispute between the city and the volunteer-run fire department over taxpayer funds and control of firefighters. ...

The grant has the potential to restore Turn of River to its pre-2008 staffing levels. Department officials said it also would restore their ability to staff its stations with full-time paid firefighters. In 2008, Turn of River lost 16 firefighters when it voted down an agreement with the city over a botched consolidation plan with a city-run career department. ...

Turn of River officials said the city must provide matching contributions to make up for the remaining salary costs. It takes months to recruit, vet and hire 16 career firefighters. That means it's up to the incoming mayoral administration whether the city will match the grant. ...

"We don't know where it's going to go," Jacobellis said of the grant. "It's going to come down to what the new mayor is going to do and whether they want to take advantage of it."

Turn of River, traditionally a combination department made up career firefighters and supplemented by volunteers, lost 16 paid firefighters in 2008 after its membership voted down a mediated agreement with the city over consolidating with Stamford Fire & Rescue, the career department that covers downtown Stamford.

Chief Robert McGrath of Stamford Fire & Rescue said the grant also raises questions regarding the hiring process and status of yet-to-be-hired firefighters at Turn of River, who have been city employees since 1999.

McGrath asked whether they would be in the same union as the rest of Stamford's paid firefighters and whether the hiring will be done through the traditional process, in which prospective firefighters take a civil service test and Turn of River hires candidates off a list. They city has no active list, McGrath said....

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_13383024

Anyone who knows me knows that I believe that a reorganized combination system is what would "solve" the current situation. This would entail career personnel staffing the VFD firehouses during the day Monday-Friday with crews of 4 at each, supplemented by volunteers when possible. The volunteers would then STAFF their firehouses with duty crews for nights and weekends at the same level.

Its hard enough for stations that have been under that system for years to get the volunteers to show that kind of commitment, I would be hard pressed to believe it could work when its a whole new concept to an existing system. You don't have to look to very hard on the internet to find out about a recent fire in PG county where the closest engines were unstaffed because there were no volunteers, and most of the other apparatus were understaffed. The dedication it takes to volunteer in a system like that is not something that I could understand coming from a volunteer fire company in CT until I actually saw and experienced it myself. The average active period for a firefighter in this area of MD, which uses that system, is 1 year. People get burned out or simply give up pretty quickly. I won't say its impossible to get it to work in Stamford, but it surely wouldn't be easy by any stretch of the imagination. Just my 2 cents.

Its hard enough for stations that have been under that system for years to get the volunteers to show that kind of commitment, I would be hard pressed to believe it could work when its a whole new concept to an existing system. You don't have to look to very hard on the internet to find out about a recent fire in PG county where the closest engines were unstaffed because there were no volunteers, and most of the other apparatus were understaffed. The dedication it takes to volunteer in a system like that is not something that I could understand coming from a volunteer fire company in CT until I actually saw and experienced it myself. The average active period for a firefighter in this area of MD, which uses that system, is 1 year. People get burned out or simply give up pretty quickly. I won't say its impossible to get it to work in Stamford, but it surely wouldn't be easy by any stretch of the imagination. Just my 2 cents.

Easy? Not at all, but worth the effort to try.

PG has it's problems, as does most any jurisdiction, but overall even with those problems the system works. In neighboring Montgomery County it seems the system fares somewhat better, at least that's the information I get from some of my Iraq colleagues that live and volunteer there. Failure is of course one possible outcome as it is with any new venture, but so is success.

Many VFDs have implemented "duty shifts", some right in this area. A few months ago some other BFD members and myself travelled to Deer Park LI after reading about a shift program they had started. Not only was that program credited with saving a womans life, but it has been embraced by the membership there. During our visit we spent a number of hours with the Chief, Asst Chiefs and members of that department discussing the impact of the program on their operations. Without reservation they all qualified it as a success and plan to continue it's operation.

I have absolutely no illusions about the myriad of obstacles involved in implementing such a system here. Nor would I expect that it would be readily accepted, but through thorough research and steadfast commitment to it's success it is possible. To that end, further exploratory trips are in the works, as there is much to learn from many different sources as to what works and what doesn't.

Cogs

ps Just in case anyone is wondering those exploratory trips are on our own dime, not the departments or the taxpayers.

Edited by FFPCogs

Glenbrook volunteer firefighters train on new fire engine

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

09/28/2009

STAMFORD -- At the city's regional fire training facility on Magee Avenue last week, Glenbrook volunteer firefighters gathered around a new fire engine built especially for the small department.

The city bought the engine for $290,000 -- one of several vehicles part of a deal with HME, a manufacturer of firefighting apparatus -- and Stamford Fire & Rescue training officers last Monday demonstrated how to regulate pump intake pressure on the rig. As the pressure rose, the strain on the engine's pumps translated into a low rumble that seemed to shake the air around the engine....

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_13440511

Not to steal your thunder G but,

Word is TRFD has won their lawsuits against the City of Stamford.

Stay tuned

Cogs

Judge rules Stamford breached agreement with volunteer fire department

But judge denies Turn of River's damages claim

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

10/05/2009

STAMFORD -- A Superior Court judge said the city breached its agreement with a volunteer-run fire company in 2007, when it unilaterally canceled a 7-year-old pact with the Turn of River Fire Department as Stamford officials tried to restructure the city's fire service, court records show.

In a decision released Friday, Judge Kevin Tierney did not issue any injunctions or specific court orders, and he denied the fire department's claim for $1,852,337 in damages, money it said it lost when the city removed 17 career firefighters from Turn of River's two stations in 2008. The decision brings to a close the last of two significant lawsuits against the city by Turn of River in a protracted dispute over territory, taxpayer funds and control of paid firefighters....

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_13493955

Stamford fire service consolidation part of Malloy's legacy

Former mayor tried to consolidate departments

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

12/01/2009

STAMFORD -- Former Mayor Dannel Malloy began his attempts to reform the city's fire service soon after he took office. Fourteen years later, and after several lawsuits and heated public debates over the future of firefighting in Stamford, many of those attempts were left unfinished -- or undone through court rulings.

Still, Malloy says he made Stamford safer.

"We've moved the ball forward substantially," Malloy said Monday, his last day in office....

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_13903793

Additional Related Article -

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_13904081

Edited by Geppetto

As expected I have my $.02 to throw in here. Although I posted the following on another site it fits just as well here so.....

As hard as it may be for some to believe, many of Stamford's volunteers are not opposed to the idea of a consolidation (at least on some level), just in our illustrious previous Mayor's method of trying to accomplish it.

But all that is in the past now, and with a little effort on all our parts it will stay there. I for one look towards the future as an open page full of promise in finding a mutually acceptable solution. There are some ideas that have been floating around here for a few months now, all of which deserve closer examination. If the new Mayor is able to follow through wth his stated goal of establishing a "task force" to resolve our issues, I can only hope that it will have the full support of every firefighter in this City.

Cogs

Bobby V. tapped to resolve Stamford fire department conflict

Jeff Morganteen, Stamford Advocate

February 4, 2010

STAMFORD -- Bobby Valentine has guided baseball teams to championship titles in faraway countries, helped professional baseball players gain free agency rights and won a National League pennant with the New York Mets.

Now, the Stamford native will attempt to reform the city's fire service....

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Bobby-V-tapped-to-resolve-Stamford-fire-350314.php

Bobby Valentine ? Is this a joke ?