Geppetto

Update on Stamford Merger

2,106 posts in this topic

City fire conflict heats up

Staff Reports

Stamford Advocate

12/04/2008

One Stamford Fire & Rescue fire engine sits in a tent on Vine Road, about a quarter mile east of High Ridge Road, with its 12 firefighters housed in a nearby trailer when they're on duty, awaiting calls. Another engine is parked in a tent on Long Ridge Road, just south of the Merritt Parkway. When on duty, the dozen men stationed at the site take cover in a nearby Stamford Emergency Medical Services building. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_11135075

Maybe the so called "Chief" of Springdale should be asked why he didn't take command of the fire in his own district if him and his volunteers are so awesome. Perhaps he should be asked why the blatent lies about who was asked to cover the down town firehouse during the cedar street fire.

or perhaps everyone should just let this issue die, the way things are going obviously isn't working.

Study: Stamford fire service in critical condition

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

12/05/2008

STAMFORD - A consulting firm hired by the city to study the fire prevention services in Stamford called the current situation among the six fire departments "critical" and recommended city officials declare fire service delivery an "emergency situation."

In a draft of the study released Thursday by TriData, a division of System Planning Corp. of Arlington, Va., the fire system in Stamford, in which six independent fire departments share firefighting duties, was said to have reached a boiling point....

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_11148065

No Kidding?

Here is the link to the study -

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/document-previ...?doc_id=2875643

or perhaps everyone should just let this issue die, the way things are going obviously isn't working.

Apparently die it won't.

thanks for the update Geppetto

And Happy Holidays All !!!!

Stay Safe

Cogs

Updated article in Advocate - 12/07/08

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_11159944

The thread to the study (above, #425) still works

Fire safety should be top priority

Staff Reports

12/07/2008

Stamford's not the only community where paid and volunteer fire services are at odds. The situation is common in communities like ours, which have an honored tradition of volunteer firefighting. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/opinion/ci_11159913

************** has already linked NYT article on another thread; thanks.

Edited by Geppetto

Stamford sues volunteer fire marshal

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

12/09/2008

STAMFORD - The city has sued the volunteer fire marshal at the Turn of River Fire Department, saying the state law empowering marshals does not apply to volunteers, the city attorney said. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_11174197

The city has sued the volunteer fire marshal at the Turn of River Fire Department, saying the state law empowering marshals does not apply to volunteers.

This is simply not true. Many communities in CT have volunteer fire marshals.

Cogs

BTW- Happy Holidays All and best wishes from my family to yours for a happy, healthy and safe New Year

Edited by FFPCogs

City fire protection needs have changed

Staff Reports - Don Russell

Stamford Advocate

12/10/2008

Volunteerism is an American tradition. It reaches back to the days of what was called barn raising - when people traveled sometimes great distances to help a neighbor erect a barn or a house.

One of the most recognized facet of the tradition is volunteer firefighters who dedicate themselves to leaving whatever they are doing when the neighborhood fire whistle sounds and racing to the firehouse or directly to the fire in progress. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/opinion/ci_11182451

Edited by Geppetto

The city has sued the volunteer fire marshal at the Turn of River Fire Department, saying the state law empowering marshals does not apply to volunteers.

This is simply not true. Many communities in CT have volunteer fire marshals.

Cogs

BTW- Happy Holidays All and best wishes from my family to yours for a happy, healthy and safe New Year

Cogs,

Just because many communities do it does not mean it is legal under state law.Many things concerning volunteer fire depts fall between the cracks or aren't enforced because the job needs to be done and nobody has challenged it. I am not saying you are wrong but it is in the courts, lets let them decide whether it is legal or not.

BTW- Happy Holidays to you and yours also!!!

Cogs,

Just because many communities do it does not mean it is legal under state law.Many things concerning volunteer fire depts fall between the cracks or aren't enforced because the job needs to be done and nobody has challenged it. I am not saying you are wrong but it is in the courts, lets let them decide whether it is legal or not.

BTW- Happy Holidays to you and yours also!!!

Honestly I don't know what the specifics of the City's argument in this case are. My post was simply to "enlighten" all to the fact that volunteers ARE and CAN BE "empowered" to act as a Fire Marshal in the State of CT. To be sure before I posted I called the State Fire Marshals office, and per my conversation with him was told that this statement...the state law empowering marshals does not apply to volunteers...is not true.

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs

Any truth to the rumor that the fire marshall was requested in TOR district and was not available to respond last Friday? If that is true, shouldn't there be someone available 24/7?

Avoid making fire disputes worse

Staff Reports

Stamford Advocate

12/12/2008

The city should drop its lawsuit against the volunteer fire marshal at the Turn of River Fire Department, regardless of what courts decide, perhaps as early as next week.

The complaint - to use a lame fire analogy - is stoking flames at a time when players on all sides should be working to put them out. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/opinion/ci_11202724

Belltown volunteers sell Christmas trees to raise funds

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

12/14/2008

STAMFORD - The cash-strapped Belltown Fire Department, one of two all-volunteer firehouses in litigation with the city, is hoping some Christmas spirit can help offset its reduced budget, Belltown Chief John Didelot said. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_11229415

As usual G, thanks for the update.

Saves me a trip to the store... :lol:

Cogs

I am totally convinced that the general public doesn't know who responds to their residence, they do not know how many FF's are on each machine, they don't understand how many FF's are needed for this job, and they DO NOT CARE as long as a BRT shows up when they call. Time to end this nonsense... leave to public out of it and just get it done.

I have relatives in Stamford. They're documenting anything and everything with this whole mess. All documentation are kept away from their house. They hope nothing happens to them. They are scared!

I have relatives in Stamford. They're documenting anything and everything with this whole mess. All documentation are kept away from their house. They hope nothing happens to them. They are scared!

I am not sure if I have any idea what that statement means "they are documenting anything and everything, but keeping it away from their house..." Care to elaborate?

"They hope nothing happens to them. They are scared!" This is somewhat more concise, but taken literally, quite an "alarmist" statement to make.

For the record, there is no reason for anyone to be "scared" or spend time "hoping that nothing happens" to themselves.

The residents and visitors to the City of Stamford have never had a higher level of fire/ems protection offered to them. While all of the parties involved in the ongoing Fire Service delivery debate have strong and varied positions, those charged with carrying out services (volunteer or career) have not waivered in their abilities to do so.

Regardless of what "team" you are playing for, there should be no doubt that the overall delivery of services has been increased as a result of the recent discussions.

How so?

• Career Fire Fighters have been redistributed to increase previous staffing levels in areas (such as Turn of River).
  • Volunteers have demonstrated an excellent ability to staff or almost immediately staff volunteer stations or apparatus (Most notably in Belltown and also Turn of River).
  • An full career assignment of 3 Engines, 1 Truck Co, 1 Rescue Co, and 1 career Chief or a limited career assignment of 2 Engines, 1 Ladder, and 1 career Chief are now sent on all potential or confirmed structural responses within the City. This now includes all Fire Service areas, including Long Ridge.
  • Contrary to the detrimental sentiment by extremists involved on both sides, career and volunteer personnel are working very well together and are keeping their disagreements off the fireground.
Most people involved in the fire service are rapidly learning that "Mr. Jones" or "Mrs. Smith" does not care about the pay check, patch, color of fire apparatus, Union issues, volunteer issues, or EGOs of those involved. They just want trained people to come quickly, act professionally, and behave responsibly.

When you signed up to be a Fire Fighter, you assumed the responsibility to solve other people's problems and offer them hope when they (the public) do not know who else to call. FEAR is the last thing that any person involved in the delivery of public safety should allow to be cast in the public's eye.

As always, I welcome your responses and opinions.

Best wishes for a safe and Happy Holidays.

PS - And a New Year's wish for those involved to continue to try and work together and bring an amicable resolution for all parties.

Matt P.

Edited by x152

Excellent post Matt,

Thanks.

And mentioning EGOS was a good point ...I will do all I can to keep mine in check, thanks for the reminder.

Happy Holiday All

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs

Fire volunteers await judge's ruling on fire marshal

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

12/16/2008

STAMFORD - After hearing a motion to dismiss the case, a judge Monday continued a lawsuit filed by the city against the fire marshal at Turn of River volunteer fire department.

Both parties must wait for the court to decide whether the case will be dropped. A judge has 120 days to issue a ruling. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_11242214

Firefighters battle more than just blazes during the year

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

01/05/2009

STAMFORD - It was a rocky 2008 for firefighting in the city.

Tension and bad bloodbetween volunteer firehouses and the city lingered from a merger proposed in 2007 that would have staffed three volunteer fire departments with city firefighters. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_11369980

Stamford proposes two ordinances to alter fire operations

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

01/11/2009

STAMFORD - After more than a year of legal contests with volunteer firehouses, the city last week circulated proposed ordinances that would redraw the borders traditionally separating the career fire department and two of the Big Five volunteer firehouses.

In a letter sent to public safety and elected officials last week, City Attorney Thomas Cassone wrote two proposed ordinances that would allow the professional city department to take over firefighting at the Belltown and Turn of River firehouses. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_11427270

Fire and ice: Firefighters use heaters to keep engine water from freezing

Stamford Advocate

01/15/2009

By Jeff Morganteen

Staff Writer

STAMFORD -- Six months after placing city fire engines at temporary stations on Vine and Long Ridge roads, temperatures are dropping, creating a risk that water flowing from a 750-gallon tank to pumps in the engines could freeze.

Stamford Fire & Rescue equipped each temporary station -- basically large tents -- with several heaters to keep the water from turning into ice, expanding and breaking the lines between the tanks and engine pumps, fire officials said. They are confident the heaters will keep the water lines from freezing, they said....

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_11464524

And a sort of related story -

Stamford league regroups around fire department flapLeague of Women Voters to study fire service rift

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_11464882

Edited by Geppetto

Hope those heaters can keep the pumps from freezing when its only 3 or 4 degrees out...

With all the "biased" reporting by the Advocate - today's editorial page reflects (in part) on the recent fire in Long Ridge -

Thumbs up - Thumbs down

The Advocate

02/03/2009

Thumbs up to firefighters.

Most of the discussion about fire service in Stamford these days, including in our pages, revolves around the ongoing turf battle between city government and certain volunteer companies....

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/opinion/ci_11611427

Edited by Chris192
repaired quotes

Volunteers dispute fire study findings

By CHASE WRIGHT

The Stamford Times

02/04/2009

STAMFORD -- Several volunteer fire departments in Stamford have shot back with arguments against a fire protection study that was completed by an outside consultant last month and was highly critical of the volunteer departments' ability to protect the city under the current structure. ...

http://www.thestamfordtimes.com/story/464497

The link is broken.

I've read through the report a couple of times, and not suprisingly found it to be biased in support of what many (and yes including me) consider a flawed merger plan. Also, as one would expect I do believe there is validity to the complaints of the volunteer chiefs.

In regards to the report itself, I do not believe that the volunteer firefighters of Stamford are now useful only in support or specialized roles. There is far too much knowledge, experience and capability that would be lost by following that route. Although some reevealuation of their current operational capabilies may be in order, approaching that with the set goal of reducing them to support only is not to me a wise stratedgy. It would be far more useful to identify any current shortcomings and address them with the goal of improving the situation with long term incentives and programs to attain and maintain a fully operational volunteer fire service that would be an integral part of Stamford's overall fire protection. The report offered little in this vain. Although on a bright note it did say the City should do more to encourage and retain volunteers, but only insofar as they would be a support service to an all paid fire dept. Personally, and I'll be the first to admit I am biased as well, I remain convinced and optimistic that there are other alternatives to that inevitability.....although it is getting a bit lonely :P

Stay Safe

Cogs

Didn't someone lose because of the incompetence, i mean seriously where do you draw the line?