Geppetto

Update on Stamford Merger

2,106 posts in this topic

In the past, letters from the volunteer service, having any magntitude, would be signed by all of the "5" chiefs. This was a sign of unity. In regards to the Mill Spring fire, a letter was posted, signed by only 4 of the chiefs, without Glenbrook. Granted this fire may have had responses by only 4 of the departments, but in the past, ALL 5 of them would have shown solidarity. It is my understanding that Glenbrook has been on the "outs" for some time, even so much as automatic mutual aid to/from them (from the other 4) has been altered. The posted letter just reinforces that thought.

In terms of mutual aid, the only thing Belltown altered was no longer responding to automatic fire alarms down there. For the first part of the year we responded to smoke or fire calls mutual aid, then one night we were toned 15 minutes into a fire in Research Park and since then have been removed from all responses to Glenbrook. We don't know who removed us from the CAD or why. Glenbrook's chief said it wasn't him, but he hasn't put us back on those runs either so there isn't much we can do unless special called. As for incoming mutual aid, Engine 6 responds everywhere that Engine 32 used to, there really hasn't been any change on our end.

It is easy for those of us not directly affected (other than as residents) by the situation to offer suggestions as to how to best reslove the current state of affairs. I for one have been steadily doing so. Fact is though that there are valid concerns, opinions and considerations in both support and opposition to the idea of a "merged" volunteer fire service in Stamford. This forum has provided those interested with a means to express their view. It has also provided a wealth of knowledge and experience, from both sides of the fence, for those open to recieve it. All that is needed now is the willingness to explore alternatives objectively and a determination to see them through.

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs

In terms of mutual aid, the only thing Belltown altered was no longer responding to automatic fire alarms down there. For the first part of the year we responded to smoke or fire calls mutual aid, then one night we were toned 15 minutes into a fire in Research Park and since then have been removed from all responses to Glenbrook. We don't know who removed us from the CAD or why. Glenbrook's chief said it wasn't him, but he hasn't put us back on those runs either so there isn't much we can do unless special called. As for incoming mutual aid, Engine 6 responds everywhere that Engine 32 used to, there really hasn't been any change on our end.

Toned out or self dispatched? I heard it was the latter. Forgive me if my facts are screwed up but I was inside with my crew putting the fire out. I heard later that 45 signed on, and was turned around by the DC. Picking and chosing calls to respond to is Russian Roulette, just look at history with some automatics that turned into major incidents. As far as run cards, Chief Passero has nothing to do with the run cards. Why don't you aSK your inside man up there he can tell you. I will give Kudos to Belltown for getting out on all calls , but as PJ Debart said what are you getting out with? While lately it seems better, I remember arriving first due to a CO call in Belltown and two guys in a pickup truck dressed in Class A's. I am no expert but that is a poor response.PERIOD. It actually turned out to be a genuine CO emergency

, and I ask, what were the guys in Class A's gonna do? And I do remember that Francis Ln job as well. I happened to be working @ E5 that night. NOw Monday morning quarterbacking won't help anything here, so I won't. While it has been said here numerous times, the general public has no idea what their fire coverage is. They call... a fire truck shows up. But we owe to all residents that when they call, they get a crew that is going to mitigate the problem as quickly and safely as possible.

Edited by jack10562

PJRielly,

Thanks for not Monday morning quaterbacking that's a road better left untravelled. It serves little purpose to do so, and truth be told EVERY firefighter and Department has had incidents where their performance was less than stellar.

This thread has of late taken a constuctive tone, a continued look forward will only enhance that.

Just my $.02

Cogs

p.s.

Peter Cogliano

32 Francis Ave

Stamford, CT 06905....... :rolleyes:

Edited by FFPCogs

As far as run cards, Chief Passero has nothing to do with the run cards.

Interesting to hear this, I was under the impression that the Chief was the Authority having Jurisdiction, and as such has responsibility for the responses in his district?

So the run cards are in Glenbrook? Do they dispatch from there as well?

So now I guess we get to have a discussion on run cards.

I will relay my thoughts on how things are supposed to work, which I may be mistaken on.

The run cards are in the dispatch center at 888 Washington Boulevard.

The Chief of a district decided what response and resources to send to certain addresses based on the nature of the call, and communicates his desires to the dispatch center, who are then supposed to put his wishes into their system so that the dispatcher will be able to send the needed units when the call for help comes in.

Isn't that it, in a nutshell?

I have to make this quick because I am at work but to correct your facts on the first part of your post PJ we did not "self dispatch" and we are not playing games. It was the middle of the night, the tones went off for a structure fire, we got in the rig and responded. We were all pretty confused to arrive and see units had already been there for a while. I was the officer and walked to the DC to see what was needed. He asked if we were dispatched. I said yes, we were toned for a structure fire, but there was obviously a delay. We waited for an assignment and were told we could return. As for runcards, it's Glenbrooks district, how does their chief have nothing to do with their runcards?

As I said, excuse me if my facts were incorrect, I was inside working. As far as run cards, I believe the point I was trying to make was that the Chief has no personal control over them, they are at 888. He can suggest, but it needs to be done internally at 911.

Are you guys friggin' for real? Are you really going to do a tit for tat over a fire that happened a few years ago? Or a call going back months? And c'mon anyone who's been in the fire service for a month should know how their dispatch system works.

Now I know you are all dedicated and knowledgable members of the fire service,and you can get as pissed at me as you want, but to be frank your embarassing your departments and yourselves with this childish tete a tete over things that should be long since buried.

Do all of us taxpaying residents a favor, get together and figure out a way to fix what's broke.

Thanks in advance.

Cogs

The end to automatic mutual aid response from BFD is from an order from Jan 1, 2008 written by the Captain who was the Communications Supervisor at the time @ 911. The authority was from the SFRD Chief and the Director of Public Safety. As for mutual aid specific to Glenbrook, the only directive @ 911 from the GFD Chief states that the only people who can take command at a Glenbrook incident are SFRD officers or Glenbrook officers. This stems from several incidents when a neighboring dept. chief caused some issues in Glenbrook- which I would rather not state in this forum.

is there automatic aid coming from fellow volunteer fire districts?

the biggest concern is staffing

why cant the 5 districts combine into one?

there should be no excuses for rigs not getting out or staffed

I can not speak for all volunteer departments in the area , but in Trumbull (one of the busiest all volunteer depts in the area) can get 2,3,4,5 trucks out around the clock staffed, then stamford should be able to. Start taking out of town members, find people that do not work days and could provide some staffing by letting them sleep in the station.. etc

if the volunteer members in stamford truly do not want to get taken over, they should be making all the effort possible to prove the city wrong.

I have really tried to stay away from this topic but I have been sucked in again...

The answer to one of your questions is PERSONAL AGENDAS.

The other huge difference between Trumbull Volunteers and Stamford Volunteers is that there is no Career Department keeping tabs on what they are doing, what their response times are and who is putting the first line on a fire. Also, people, TRAINED PEOPLE, can help out in Trumbull without being crucified for being affiliated with a volunteer company. Trust me when I tell you...there is no system quite like that of Stamford these days, I think most will agree with that.

JVC

The end to automatic mutual aid response from BFD is from an order from Jan 1, 2008 written by the Captain who was the Communications Supervisor at the time @ 911. The authority was from the SFRD Chief and the Director of Public Safety. As for mutual aid specific to Glenbrook, the only directive @ 911 from the GFD Chief states that the only people who can take command at a Glenbrook incident are SFRD officers or Glenbrook officers. This stems from several incidents when a neighboring dept. chief caused some issues in Glenbrook- which I would rather not state in this forum.

Whoa! As the Captain refered to in this post, let me clarify. When Belltown went fully volunteer an order was sent to me by Chief Didelot altering their outgoing mutual aid policy to include structural fires, and smoke conditions. I altered the CAD to honor these changes. Belltown was always available to respond upon request. Regarding Glenbrook, 348's statement is accurate, I recieved that order from Chief Passaro during my tenure at 911.

As I said, excuse me if my facts were incorrect, I was inside working. As far as run cards, I believe the point I was trying to make was that the Chief has no personal control over them, they are at 888. He can suggest, but it needs to be done internally at 911.

"facts" which are incorrect are not "facts" after all.

And so we have the case of your post # 395 in this thread:

Toned out or self dispatched? I heard it was the latter. Forgive me if my facts are screwed up but I was inside with my crew putting the fire out. I heard later that 45 signed on, and was turned around by the DC.

So you heard something but are calling it fact?

If it's not correct, then it's a rumor. Or worse, a lie.

City hires firm to probe fire response

By Jeff Morganteen Staff Writer

Stamford Advocate 11/09/2008

STAMFORD - The city's office of public safety, health and welfare has hired a consulting firm to investigate the controversial response to a destructive house fire last month in North Stamford. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_10939524

Hey big 5, as I posted before it would be better to change things on your terms, then to have an "outside" source change it for you.....this may be the start of the "outside" source changing things. Be safe.

Forum to debate firefighting's fate

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

11/12/2008

STAMFORD - Rachel Lussier wants answers about fire protection in North Stamford.

She asked the North Stamford Association to hold a forum to discuss the future of the volunteer departments, which have challenged the city since officials last year called for consolidation between volunteers and the paid fire department, Stamford Fire & Rescue. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_10961269

Why don't they wait until a time where the city and its representatives can speak? regardless of how valid or invalid the points made at this forum are, the one-sidedness makes it hard for anyone to view this as open and unbiased.

related stories

Backup pact renewed with Long Ridge department

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate 11/14/2008

STAMFORD - The Long Ridge volunteer fire department and the paid city department, Stamford Fire & Rescue, have reinstated a longstanding pact to back each other up automatically....

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_10982167

AND

Stamford's volunteer chiefs say they need career firefighters

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate 11/14/2008

STAMFORD - At a forum Thursday night, the fire chiefs of Turn of River and Long Ridge volunteer departments said they could not adequately cover their districts, by far the largest in Stamford, without career firefighters. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_10982188

City looks into response to fire in N. Stamford

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

11/18/2008

STAMFORD - A fire that badly damaged a home on Mill Spring Lane in North Stamford last month has sparked more debate about the roles of paid and volunteer firehouses. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_11011146

Report blasts volunteer firefighters

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

11/21/2008

STAMFORD - A consultant hired by the city to investigate the response to an Oct. 4 house fire in North Stamford criticized volunteer departments Thursday for failing to call for backup sooner and failing to establish a command post. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_11039349

Volunteer firefighters say they need more collaboration

11/19/2008

By KARA O'CONNOR

The Hour/Stamford Times

STAMFORD -- It's not possible to cover all of the city's fire districts without Stamford's paid city firefighters and the volunteer firefighters working alongside each other, say the Long Ridge, Turn of River and Belltown fire chiefs. ...

http://www.thehour.com/story/459929

Add this one too -

Long Ridge and Stamford Fire reach coverage agreement

11/19/2008

By CHASE WRIGHT

The Hour/Stamford Times

STAMFORD -- The Stamford Fire Rescue Department and the Long Ridge Volunteer Fire Company have reached an agreement that will provide added coverage for homes in the Long Ridge district. ...

http://www.thehour.com/story/459934

Edited by Geppetto

Hello....hello...hello...hello.

Sure is quiet in here lately..... ;)

As usual thanks for the update Geppetto.

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs

Hello....hello...hello...hello.

Sure is quiet in here lately..... ;)

As usual thanks for the update Geppetto.

Cogs

Perhaps everyone is just tired of hearing about this whole Godforsaken issue. I know I am.

Maybe Joe, maybe.

I don't know about a dead horse either, seems everyone has moved elsewhere to "vent" where there are no restrictions and they can remain anonymous to voice their rather colorful "opinions".

Ah well like everything else this too will work out eventually.

Cogs

BTW Happy Thanksgivings all

Maybe Joe, maybe.

I don't know about a dead horse either, seems everyone has moved elsewhere to "vent" where there are no restrictions and they can remain anonymous to voice their rather colorful "opinions".

Ah well like everything else this too will work out eventually.

Cogs

BTW Happy Thanksgivings all

...or, as I have said in the past, the issue is totally UNRESOLVABLE. Everyone will continue to do their own thing and hopefully peaceful co-existence will be the outcome.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all our other members as well.

Joe

Turn of River adjusts to all-volunteer status

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

11/26/2008

STAMFORD - Brian Docimo has firefighting in his blood - his grandfather, father and brother were volunteers in Stamford. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_11077486

Report highlights firefighter missteps

11/26/2008

by CHASE WRIGHT

The Stamford Times

STAMFORD -- A consultant hired by the city to investigate an Oct. 4 house fire in North Stamford, harshly criticized volunteer firefighters last week for what was described as a lack of leadership that led to the home's demise. ...

http://www.thestamfordtimes.com/story/460390

old news, different paper -

Tension mounts on merger: Volunteer and paid firefighters still battling

By Jeff Morganteen

Stamford Advocate

11/30/2008

STAMFORD - It's a scene that has played out in volunteer firehouses throughout the country: A small volunteer fire department hires a full-time driver, then a full-time firefighter. As the roster of paid firefighters grows, so does their power and influence. ...

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_11105773