Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

Call Classifications

6 posts in this topic

While looking at Fairview Fire regarding the bond proposal, I couldn't figure out how certain calls are classified....

"122 Fire Calls • 13 Explosions • 1152 EMS & Rescue • 127 Hazardous Conditions • 526 Service Calls • 175 Good Intent Calls • 421 False Alarms • 1 Severe Weather • 24 Special Calls"

So I was wondering what good intent and service calls were....for example, if my smoke alarms go off becuase of steam from the shower, that's a false alarm....but what about "i smell gas or smoke ect" and it turns into nothing??? Is that good intent or service?

Possibly pumpouts, lift assists..

The break down of call types comes under NFIRS (National Fire Incident Reporting System) spec's.

Service calls (code 500) include:

Vehicle lockouts

Water Conditions

Animal rescues

Unauthorized Burning

Standby

Police assist

Good intent (code 600) calls include:

Dispatched and canceled en route

Wrong location, no emergency found

Controlled (authorized) burning

Steam, other gas mistaken for smoke

EMS call where party has been transported prior to arrival

HazMat release investigation w/no HazMat found

Yeah, what he said...

Correct me if I am wrong, but activated alarms due to cooking can be classified as "Good Intent" - no?

I believe that the steam or other gas mistaken for smoke is only for a visual mistake, if steam were to set of a detector it would be an "unintentional smoke detector activation - no fire".

Also I would think that overcooked food was not good intent, unless you are a seriously bad chef, that would be coded as "cooking fire confined to cooking vessel".

Since I am not infront of the FD computer right now, I may have some of the exact wording wrong, I am typing these codes from memory.

I believe that the steam or other gas mistaken for smoke is only for a visual mistake, if steam were to set of a detector it would be an "unintentional smoke detector activation - no fire".

Also I would think that overcooked food was not good intent, unless you are a seriously bad chef, that would be coded as "cooking fire confined to cooking vessel".

Since I am not infront of the FD computer right now, I may have some of the exact wording wrong, I am typing these codes from memory.

Cooking fire confined to vessel is generally only if there was an actual fire in the pan or pot and it went no further. Any extension past the pot or pan is a structure fire. If they are cooking and there is no fire but they activate the alarm system it is just an accidental alarm activation - no fire. But of course each Dept may vary...