Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

A Unique Place For A Pump Panel

14 posts in this topic

Although I know this pump panel location has been around for several years now, this is the first chance I've had to photograph it.

From the looks of it, this doesn't add the wheelbase that a traditonal top-mount pump panel would, and it doesn't consume much more space than a traditonal pump enclosure. It keeps the pump operator out of traffic and away from the hoses, and also gives the pump operator a 360 view of the scene.

For the above reasons, this is my favorite spot for a pump panel, and always wonder why more departments don't go for this option.

post-11-1206392839.jpg

Photo by me.

P.S.: The builder of the body is Precision Fire Apparatus, on a Sutphen chasis.

i think its a good place and your right about everything

Our most recent truck (engine actually) committee reviewed all pump panel locations including these and went back to a side mount (actually rearmount pump with right side rear panel). One of the biggest reasons was the amount of up and down time an operator has with top mounts. And here in the northeast the snow, ice and water make for slippery conditions causing slips trip s and falls while mounting and dismounting the panel walkway. In fact I think this set up while nice in some regards may be worse for climbing up and down given the narrow steps and the fact you must make a turn. On the pro side you end up with top mount without sacrificing length.

I think the pump operator should have his feet on the ground.Not just for safety but he has alot more things to do than just pull levers and read gauges.At least in my dept he may have to make the brake, if necessary pull a courtyard strech hook up the 5" etc. I think having everything close together and the ability to move around the rig is crucial for me at least.Cant see having to climb up and down.Might give a better view of the fireground but i'll pass. Just my opinion.

I like that Set up it's Unique

Windsor Locks FD in upstate CT has a Stuphen "top side-mount" pumper and they have had good success with it. Though personally I do not like to be elevated on an engine when pumping, there are some good advantages to it.

Windsor Locks FD in upstate CT has a Sutphen "top side-mount" pumper and they have had good success with it. Though personally I do not like to be elevated on an engine when pumping, there are some good advantages to it.

The Company in question even makes a Top mounted Rear mount pumper. I have never seen that before.

I have another unique pump panel location, our Squad, 3967 has the panel located under the steps to the roof of the truck. One little latch, and the stairs lift up giving you access. I'll root around for a picture, unless someone beats me to it

I like this set up too. I guess the only thing I would have about it is the crosslays. They are right there by the steps up to the platform. If they are stretched out the panel side of the truck the operator will have to step over the hose lines to get up and down, adding to the danger, especially in winter months like antiquefire mentioned.

Maybe if they had the steps towords the back of the truck, free from any other obstructions that would be great. But still, I like the set up. Great find and thanks for sharing with us.

I personally do not like it, and I am not a fan of top mounts either. I like to be able to have immediate control over my intake, especially when going from tank water to supply. I also like to feel the LDH, so I know that when my intake reads 10 - 20 pounds, I can feel that I still have a good supply coming in.

Having operated top mounts in different departments at jobs, yes, it allows you to get up out of harms way, and it also gives you the view of the fireground, but I also spent a lot of time getting down stretching lines, making connections, leaning oversaying "What?!" to people on the ground, and in general, walking around a whole lot more than I ever did operating a traditional pump panel.

That's old school, kid's today don't even now what you are talking about. feel the water, gauges we don't need no stinking gauges

post-289-1206450953.jpg

post-289-1206451020.jpg

Edited by DOC22

Well this panel is something I've not seen before, very intresting.

Edited by DOC22

Seems to me like it would be more of a hassle to operate then anything. trying to man the bumps while keeping balance while you operate the pumps, and even harder when you are forced to be on an incline.

Although i have not yet had the pleasure of operating @ a scene yet after just finishing my pump opps course and seeing only some minor things go wrong @ an evolution i dont think i would like to be up there with the preconnects pulled across my steps and having to go up and down constanly to check on anything that can and will go wrong. yes it would be great to be able to oversee the scene we are not there for the sights