Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
5slow

Reports: Norwalk Police officer's death may have been suicide

14 posts in this topic

Reports: Conn. police officer's death may have been suicide

March 25, 2008

NORWALK, Conn. (AP) _ Norwalk police are considering evidence that the death of an 11-year police veteran may have been suicide, according to published reports.

The New Haven Register on Tuesday quoted a confidential message written by Norwalk's police chief to chiefs throughout the state about the investigation of Officer Matthew Morelli's death. Morelli, 38, died early Friday in a secluded parking lot in south Norwalk, about 50 miles northeast of New York City, after telling dispatchers he was investigating suspicious activity.

http://www.nhregister.com/WebApp/appmanage...e_Story_1787208

I just read that. Suicide doesn't explain the AK lying next to his body though... Is it possible he was shot with his own gun?

I just read that. Suicide doesn't explain the AK lying next to his body though... Is it possible he was shot with his own gun?

Unless the whole thing was staged. I hope it's not the case, but it's been weird that there's been no leads at all. I was already thinking about these things a few days afterwards.

Edited by 5slow

Unless the whole thing was staged. I hope it's not the case, but it's been weird that there's been no leads at all. I was already thinking about these things a few days afterwards.

A news conference is scheduled at 4 pm today. The state police team that was investigated the scene is meeting with the chief now. Matt's family will be told of the finding first before it is released to the public. No matter what they find it is a sad day and week for the department.

A news conference is scheduled at 4 pm today. The state police team that was investigated the scene is meeting with the chief now. Matt's family will be told of the finding first before it is released to the public. No matter what they find it is a sad day and week for the department.

Thanks for the update.

A very unfortunate turn of events indeed. Thoughts and prayers go out more than ever to the family as this will certainly tarnish his career. Its a sad fact that the police officer suicide rate is almost twice that of the general public.

Sadly, my family knows a couple of officers that took their own life in this manner. I hope the news isn't true, and it would be horrible for the media to even speculate this, but whatever demons took him away will be served justice.

When I had my accident, people, including people in my department, spread all kinds of false and malicous rumors about what happened, that were miles away from even an ounce of the truth. I don't know the culture in Norwalk PD, but I hope the family isn't put through what I and my family was by hearing these "theories", especially from within. I hope that this is treated with great dignity by all, no matter what the outcome. This kind of attention at this point I feel isn't needed, and should have been kept as quiet as possible.

Please take a moment, if you haven't already, to sign the online condolence card for Norwalk PD and PO Morelli's Family:

http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=24408

Again, thoughts and prayers are with PO Morelli and everyone affected by his death. RIP.

Hopefully we will consider the emotions one must feel to take their own life, and if true to plan it out without any of your co-workers knowing. We all have our days and hope we have someone we can talk to.

As I am writing this, we still ahve a few minutes to go until the Press Conference, so shouldn't we at least give him the benefit of the doubt and not speculate further until after there has been some determination. Regardless of what may or may not have happened, Off. Morelli was a Police Officer and until proven otherwise we should let him stand on his record.

Even if the news conference confirms the report, we should let him stand on his record. If indeed it was a suicide, it should have no affect on what he accomplished in his life prior to that evening. God rest his soul.

According to the Chief of Norwalk PD, there is a "high degree of probability" that the wound was self-inflicted.

That being said, the man was and is still a hero. Godspeed Brother.

What is written on the wall in D.C.; those are words that hold the truth-"ITS NOT HOW HE DIED THAT MADE HIM A HERO...ITS HOW HE LIVED" Its sad that those words even need to exist. But a fitting tribute to those that help make this Country what it is...

Sage, the AK thing was a rumor at first, but there was no merit to it being used, so far.

Though its pointing to a suicide, the investigation is still on going. Just because (an I hope that it isn't) it looks like it doesn't mean it actually was. But unfortunately its starting to look like he might have taken his own life.

Regardless, he still was a good police officer.