Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Photounit

New Hackensack (Dutchess Co Airport) Working Fire 3-30-08

22 posts in this topic

Here's a panoramic shot of the fire occurred at the Richmor Aviation hanger located off Citation Drive on the Dutchess County Airport property........ I'll post other images soon....... Bill

272681214_KWujB-X2-1.jpg

The Dutchess County Airports Crash-Rescue stands fast as New Hackensack firefighters remove aircraft from the hanger..... The fire was already extinguished at this point but the hanger some ~ 35' x 400+' long was filled with a thick, black, acrid smoke........ And, Aircraft too.......

Edited by Photounit

You never cease to get great photos Bill!! Can't wait to see some more!!

Still wish I had the equipment and that knack for a good eye!!

Thanks Nate....... Here's a wider pano........ You might have to scroll to the right to see the whole thing...... :rolleyes: This shot gives you an idea how LONG the hanger was.......

272728646_ZShcT-X3.jpg

Edited by Photounit

To the left of the hangar I see two Fords. I know one is 52-32, anyone know what the other is?

Edited by Danger

To the left of the hangar I see two Fords. I know one is 52-32, anyone know what the other is?

It's the old 52-31........... Don't ask.......... :rolleyes:

What was burning, does the hanger have a fire protection system? who mans the crash rig at the airport? and whats the aircraft that flys in and out of the airport? I would believe it is all General Aviation GA?

It's the old 52-31........... Don't ask.......... :rolleyes:

Donate it to the airport?

What was burning, does the hanger have a fire protection system? who mans the crash rig at the airport? and whats the aircraft that flys in and out of the airport? I would believe it is all General Aviation GA?

POU is almost all general aviation and the majority of that is light GA - flight training, etc. but they do get the occasional jet or charter. They don't have any commercial (Part 121) airlines that I'm aware of.

I think some of the commercial carriers (UPS, FedEx, etc.) use POU as a stop for some stuff too.

Nice shots again Bill ...........

Here's some more photo's of the incident...... I had a delayed arrival and a lot happened before I got there...... The smoke was very heavy compared to what I have in my shots because they extinguished the majority of the fire prior to these photo's....... There was a lot of thick black smoke with relatively little heat which I think had the guy's wondering if they actually had the fire knocked down........ Two thermal imaging cameras were in-service at this incident and they led firefighters to the fires location....... There were numerous aircraft in the hanger which were exposed to the heavy smoke and one was exposed to some minor radiant heat. Most or if not all will probably have to be certified air-worthy by the FAA.........

273121303_FptoK-X2.jpg

Crews open the doors to the hanger on the opposite side of where the main body of fire was located. The fire produced very thick black smoke and relatively little heat........

273121417_CRMTd-X2.jpg

The main body of fire has been extinguished and crews move in to extinguish a secondary fire on the opposite side of the hanger.......

273121668_iSmsP-X2.jpg

Firefighters easily extinguished the second fire.......

273121928_ZGNrn-X2.jpg

Firefighters prepare to remove an airplane from the hanger.

273123012_qKBRC-X2.jpg

One plane out and firefighters work on removing another as the smoke continues to dissapate.......

Edited by Photounit

273122696_mm6gf-X2.jpg

The airports crash truck was ready to go if needed......

273123734_5whWZ-X2.jpg

Immediate past Chief Mike Valentino now a firefighter, points with his TIC as he passes information to Asst Chief Paulo as Lieutenant Chris Ramage listens....

273124339_mrbg8-X2.jpg

The area where the fire originated........

273127104_FVeqt-X2.jpg

The fire area...... NKFD fire investigator Howard Prager looks for clues...... There were two fiberglass ladders that were involved in the fire and they were what generated the thick, black smoke that filled the hanger....

273127911_J7Gjo-X2.jpg

Captain Chris Morley tells Investigator Prager what the attack crew found as they entered the hanger to extinguish the fire.......

To answer your first few questions:

What was burning? Mainly two fiberglass ladders. The two fiberglass ladders that were leaning against the wall below a burnt outlet. The burning ladders then caused a heavy smoke condition with fairly minimal fire load.

Does the hangar have a fire protection system? No. This particular hangar does not have one.

Who mans the airport crash truck? The maintenance personnel at the airport man the rig.

Hope that helps...

Edited by NB514

Thanks for the photos and information.

Very interesting.

Be safe.

Nick, Thanks for the assist! I didn't give many details because I wasn't sure what was released....... The photo's pretty much say what happened......

Edited by Photounit

So...........Getting back to the old 52-31?

Ok thanks for the info! Hudson

Don't quote me, but I think it stays around as a reserve.

It is used as a reserve. It is put in service if the new 31 is out for service.