Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Photounit

Structure Fire - LaGrange Fire District - Fresh Town Market - Rte 55 - 4/5/08

34 posts in this topic

Here's one shot....... I'll add more later and hopefully others will as well......

274925637_Tjbnp-X2.jpg

Edited by Photounit

Bill,

Amazing photo as usual! I can't wait to see more!

hey man,

awesome pic, i was there with lagrange working all night. cant wait to see all the pics you took, they are always great shots and i cant wait. upload them soon please

I'm no ace like Bill but here are a couple of mine.

P4057186--.jpg

P4057142--.jpg

P4057140--.jpg

P4057137-.jpg

P4057153--.jpg

I'm just glad it didn't get to the bar a few doors down.. my band plays there all the time!!! Nice picts by the way!

I'm no ace like Bill but here are a couple of mine.

Jim, Give yourself credit, you do good work...... Thanks for posting....... I'm presently suffering from sleep deprivation and I'm trying to go through what I have and put a few up more up...... :blink:

Man, I am disappointed I did not hear about this job until this morning. I was up in Poughkeepsie at an, uh, "establishment" at that time, and woulda have buffed it had I known it was going on!!!

Nice pics by all!!

Here are a few more....... I took 300 images at this incident and I shoot RAW so going through them has been time consuming to say the least.......

275258653_sUxRu-XL.jpg

This shot was taken shortly after I arrived. From what I have heard when LFD arrived, they initially had heavy fire in the area by the front door to the right of the photo where the two firefighters are standing and also through the roof directly above..... This was extinguished quickly and prior to my arrival......

275258441_JfU6k-XL.jpg

Another shot from the front showing the heavy smoke as firefighters established a water supply...... This did not look good.......

275260410_GssQ7-XL.jpg

Another shot from the front showing the exposure line in place in the adjoining liquor store......

275212485_ZDDp6-XL.jpg

The windows were left intact as the dry sprinkler system which was now charged, successfully did its thing....

275257552_Fr25p-XL.jpg

First Due - La Grange 47-12 operates in the front of the building.

I'll post more later.......

Edited by Photounit

Nice shot of PFD Tower 2 in action.

Nice shots Jet and Photo Thanks for sharing :D

Great Job, PhotographerS!!!!! Thanksfor sharing!!!!!

275212317_X5dTT-XL.jpg

With a significant water supply now established, it was time to take the windows and finish the job.......

275391211_ETGtM-XL.jpg

Making progress..................... By the way, I really like this shot..........

275391804_dWSo4-XL.jpg

Monitoring progress.......... DCOER Car 2 Ken Davidson uses a thermal imaging camera to assess battle conditions...... Numerous TIC's were used at this incident.

274925625_wBQS8-XL.jpg

Firefighters cut their way into the rear of the store.........

274925638_x7nag-XL.jpg

Did somebody mention City of Poughkeepsie Ladder 2?

More in the future....... That is if you are interested.......

Edited by Photounit

ASOLUTELY!!!!!! Great shots, Bill!!! Keep'em coming!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a few more...... The scary thing is I have only processed 70 of 300 images...........

275391666_HQW7A-XL.jpg

A hose team member uses a TIC as a compass to determine what direction to aim their stream.................

275390678_ZvEko-XL.jpg

The command post.........

275259612_wPXrS-XL.jpg

Arlington 32-46 and 32-14 had the front..........

more in the future..........

Photounit the quality of these photos are great. What kind of camera do you use if you don't mind me asking? Also do you use any type of program to get this quality? Sorry for the 20 questions but I am amazed! Keep em coming!

Photounit the quality of these photos are great. What kind of camera do you use if you don't mind me asking? Also do you use any type of program to get this quality? Sorry for the 20 questions but I am amazed! Keep em coming!

He has a VERY nice camera, which I keep bugging him I want if he upgrades, lol, and he shoots with the photos in RAW form, which is an uncompressed format, allowing for not trimming of corners with quality.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_image_format

What was the cause of this fire? Do we know yet? How bad was the damage? I drove by there Sunday afternoon and I think I saw some type of construction equipment in front of the store.

What was the cause of this fire? Do we know yet? How bad was the damage? I drove by there Sunday afternoon and I think I saw some type of construction equipment in front of the store.

Yea, I saw some excavators sitting out in the front. Heard that one of the walls was buckling, and had to be inspected by building inspectors.

I DID hear a rumor about it, but I am not going to post, since we all know how rumors are, but if I hear it from more than one source, I will be more likely to believe it.

Yea, I saw some excavators sitting out in the front. Heard that one of the walls was buckling, and had to be inspected by building inspectors.

I DID hear a rumor about it, but I am not going to post, since we all know how rumors are, but if I hear it from more than one source, I will be more likely to believe it.

Mr. Informative Hear Ha Ha :lol:

yea i heard that they will be demolishing the building shortly.

it has been deemed structurally unsafe by town, and private engeneers, and therefore the investigation into the cause of the fire cannot continue because noone can enter the buliding.

looks like if someone set it they will get away with it. (my opinion)

also the liquor store is moving to a temp. location elsewhere b/c it has also been deemed a structurally unsafe building as well.

its kinda suspicious though, it catches on fire and 12 hours later a heavy duty fence is up and there are caterpillars prepareing to take it down.

idk

just how i feel

Those tilt slabs are shocking to deal with, any large sort of fire will result in a collapse, and even though they tell you they are supposed to fall in they never do, its ahrdly worth going in unless persons reported.

yea i heard that they will be demolishing the building shortly.

it has been deemed structurally unsafe by town, and private engeneers, and therefore the investigation into the cause of the fire cannot continue because noone can enter the buliding.

looks like if someone set it they will get away with it. (my opinion)

also the liquor store is moving to a temp. location elsewhere b/c it has also been deemed a structurally unsafe building as well.

its kinda suspicious though, it catches on fire and 12 hours later a heavy duty fence is up and there are caterpillars prepareing to take it down.

idk

just how i feel

Think thats quick? I operated at a structure fire that same day in Maybrook (Orange County), the original call came in some time around 0650hrs. When My engine cleared the scene around 1430hrs, "the claw" had more then 1/2 of the home demolished.

**Photos courtesy of Maybrook FF Mark Rosen.**

post-3262-1207654211.jpg

This is my favorite picture of the whole fire. Its a Montgomery FF on the end of their truck on the Hurd Avenue side of the building.

post-3262-1207654241.jpg

This is my favorite picture of the whole fire. Its a Montgomery FF on the end of their truck on the Hurd Avenue side of the building.

I agree that is an awsome shot!

Bill, as always you take amazing shots!! I visit your site OFTEN and I try to take notes actually!!! I look up to you as a photographer and hope to do HALF as good as you some day.

Great shots by all, thanks for sharing them with us.

Here is a picture of Bill looking for the perfect shot.

P4057247.jpg

Bill how did those shots come out?

Thanks for all the kind words guys....... I have been answering two or three e-mails or PM's a week from different people asking for help which I have tried to offer and I hope we all can benefit from eachothers work...... I always look at photographs someone else has taken and try to learn from them and get ideas....You should too....

As far as the camera I used ...... I used a ~2.5 yr old Canon 5D with a 17-40mm zoom....... I just push this camera as far as it will go...... I used my flash sparingly because this fire produced so much smoke, once the flash hit it, it was basically a white-out condition akin to using your cars hi-beams in thick fog...... And besides, I like natural light......

As far as processing my images...... I use Photoshop Cs3....... I didn't do much to them other than convert them from RAW to a Jpeg and then do some noise reduction (if needed) followed by sharpening...... I shot 300 images and have only processed ~70..... I'm not sure when I'll do the rest..... I just hope I get them done before the next incident....... Photoshop is a complex and expensive program but there is nothing better out there....... That being said, there are a lot of other good programs out there to use too such as Picasa, Paintshop, Adobe Elements - Very good for the money! , and now Adobe has an on-line image processing program that is FREE (For now anyway) called Photoshop Express........It looks pretty good.......... Did you try it out yet DOC22 ????? I haven't had the time to try it but it looks pretty good and they give you Two Gigs of online image storage..... If anybody tries it, let us know what you think.....

Here's the link...... https://www.photoshop.com/express/landing.html

JetPhoto....... When I saw the shot of me laying on the ground I proceeded to spray food all over my laptop screen :lol: Too funny........ Hey, whatever it takes to get the shot.......And yes, it did come out.......I think?????

274928243_eBUjt-L.jpg

I'm glad that I went to this incident...... I almost didn't because I had to be up at 4:30 am to go to work for a 12 hr shift....... But I knew if i didn't go, I just would have laid awake in bed anyway and suffered the same the next day and had nothing to show for it :rolleyes: ......... Sorry, but I have to go clean my dinner off my laptop screen ;)

Hows that lens hood treating you photounit?

photo unit, what type of camara do you use in these pictures. please message me i am looking for a new camara very soon and these pictures are amazing

photo unit, what type of camara do you use in these pictures. please message me i am looking for a new camara very soon and these pictures are amazing

If you had read 2 posts above yours, you would have seen him answer this question already, because someone else already asked it.

As far as the camera I used ...... I used a ~2.5 yr old Canon 5D with a 17-40mm zoom....... I just push this camera as far as it will go...... I used my flash sparingly because this fire produced so much smoke, once the flash hit it, it was basically a white-out condition akin to using your cars hi-beams in thick fog...... And besides, I like natural light......