Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mllax14

DEP Haz-Mat

13 posts in this topic

Does anybody know how the DEP Hazmat team works (how many trucks, guys…etc)? Or could someone send me a message that is part of the team. I’m doing a project for a class and I need some info on this department, thanks.

Does anybody know how the DEP Hazmat team works (how many trucks, guys…etc)? Or could someone send me a message that is part of the team. I’m doing a project for a class and I need some info on this department, thanks.

Just clarifying, are you asking about "Department of Environmental Protection"?

I have a question to if the FD was to call them in would they respond if for some reason the county is unavailable?

I don't know how things work in NY, but in CT the DEP HAZMAT will respond (usually with one guy) to a call lights and siren if you request them, but they don't make entry. They are usually present in an advisory/testing capacity.

I don't know how things work in NY, but in CT the DEP HAZMAT will respond (usually with one guy) to a call lights and siren if you request them, but they don't make entry. They are usually present in an advisory/testing capacity.

Thank you. Thats what I was going to say after he had clarified whether or not it was Dept of Environmental Protection he was referring to.

DEP sends out technical assistance and advisory supervision only. They will pick up small spills after contained and collected, like fuel spills from MVA's, and will collect the used speedy dry for disposal, but they do not send entry teams to assist with entry.

Hope that helps! ;)

Moose

You guys are referring to the DEC Department of Enviromental Conservation, They do spill response and clean ups. The DEP Department of Enviromental PROTECTION does have a HAZ-MAT team.

The DEP most certainly does have a hazmat team, I know, I'm on it. We are comprised of 8 men working out of Westchester, Ulster and Sullivan Counties. We are also trained in WMD and technical rope rescue. Currently we have one large and two small hazmat trucks as well as a large mass/technical decon trailer and a small technical decon trailer. we do mutual aid calls within every county in the watershed. We also will make entry when requested. We have a wide variety of equipment.

For clarification, I believe this is talking about New York City Department of Environmental

Protection

. The water supply protectors of NYC .... not DEC / Encon

Coorrect.In New York, the D E C, (Department of Environmental Conservation) is the State agency, where the D E P the New York City version. In Connecticut, the Departmet of Environmental Protection is the State Agency equal to New YorkState Deparment of Environmental Conservation

This is funny cause I was just driving home and saw 2 DEP Haz-mat vehicles. Until then I never knew they had a team. Funny how I come home and then find a thread on it.

Thanks everybody the info helped a lot. And yea you are right I probably should have made it easier to understand and said New York City Department of Environmental Protection.

Correct on the response of one person at a time in an emergency mode, however, all DEP Spill Division guys have level A, B and SCBA in their Expeditions and I have seen them use the stuff at calls. If they need to, they will make entries. They do, however, like to stay in or near the command post and provide expert advice to IC's.

They are a very big help at scenes, especially because they bring a really big and money-filled checkbook with them with the Governors signature on all the checks. Essentially, they can order and pay for anything they need.

Joe

Does any one know what happened to those black DEP HAZMAT Pierce Lances I saw on EMTBravo a while ago. Also, does any one have any pictures of the DEP HAZMAT teams rigs. I have seen the one stationed in Katonah many times and I was curious to see who had pictures or discriptions of anything else.