Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ldrco195

Certification of Pro-Tech 8 Glove Withdrawn

6 posts in this topic

Certification of Pro-Tech 8 Glove Withdrawn :o

April 9, 2008

The TechTrade Pro-Tech 8™ glove had been certified by the Safety Equipment Institute (SEI) as compliant with the applicable 2007 Edition of the NFPA 1971 standard. Recently, however, NFPA issued a formal interpretation that clarified language pertaining to the Heat and Thermal Shrinkage Resistance Test. As a result, the Pro-Tech 8 glove was re-tested according to the procedure set out in the formal interpretation, and there was a noncompliance. Based on this new information, SEI staff has recommended that the glove be decertified and has removed the product from the SEI list of certified products. At its next meeting, the SEI Board of Directors will review the staff's decertification decision and decide what, if any, further action by SEI or the Manufacturer will be required.

Please direct any questions to TechTrade (info@techtradellc.com, 212-481-2515).

You know I really should care, but these things are so freaking nice, I don't. They're still better than what we had 20 years ago so I'm keeping mine! I guess I wouldn't buy them as dept. issue anymore though.

I think the replacment for the ProTech 8 is due out in May. Hopefully these will fit the bill. They are--believe it or not--better the the current TecTrade glove.

I have a pair of the new Titan gloves from TechTrade. They're very similar to the original Pro-Tech 8's but with more coverage in the joints. Perhaps a bit thicker. The "leather" extends around the back of the glove.

post-4702-1208307078.jpg

Edited by feraldan

I got a pair of Pro-Tech 8 for Christmas and love 'em. Still plan on using them - how many pairs of gloves that others use would pass the current tests?

From their home page:

To our Pro-Tech 8 Customers

Recent formal interpretations from the NFPA 1971 committee standard on protective ensemble for structural firefighting, revised the way glove inner liners are to be tested in the laboratory oven during the certification process.

These formal interpretations do not at all effect the compliant thermal protection properties, conductive heat resistance properties or flame resistant properties or any other properties whatsoever of the Pro-Tech 8 gloves whether in the laboratory or in the field

With regard to Pro-Tech 8 gloves now in the field, you can be assured that the certification of these gloves was issued under the performance requirements in existence at the time of the certification approval.

Our meticulously maintained, well-documented safety record of the many tens of thousands of Pro-Tech 8 gloves now in use remains excellent. We are fully confident in the protective properties of our Pro-Tech 8 gloves; we believe you should remain confident as well.

Check out our new Blog, a weekly message from TechTrade!

TechTrade, LLC would like to take this opportunity to thank the fire fighting community for it's continued support of our Pro-Tech 8 Structural Fire Fighting Gloves.

Now, if I had any real say on what our department purchased - I'd definitely go with their latest model:

To our valued customers,

We are currently in transition to our new Pro-Tech 8 TITAN model. We expect it will be available for sale in early April. Please check our web-site for further announcements or feel free to send us an e-mail for additional info if you like.

Thank you.

TECHTRADE LLC

Its just a typical case of "CYA", Im sure the gloves are still fine and will protect you but in todays litigious society you need to CYA from laws. Based on whats posted here I would buy a pair if I were in the market for gloves...If I were allowed to that is!