Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Wappinger's Falls structure fire 4-16-08

44 posts in this topic

I usually don't bother posting in the forums because it usally gets out of control but having been a ladder truck operator for a city in westchester that definitely is not ladder friendly for many years ,I have to say that the ladder driver did a good job and maybe all the monday morning quarterbacks should try placing a ladder truck under those conditions and let's see how well they do. As someone said before no one got hurt and everyone went home,which is the most important thing.

Be Safe!

I too listened to the fire on the radio and I only wondered one thing... What is with one of the mutual aid departments refusing to send mutual aid? Isn't that in violation of the county mutual aid agreement? I know it would be in Orange County.

I also listened to the call and it was stated that the carrer staff of one Dept were not permited to relocate to standby in Wappingers fire station The Dept had members on the scene. and staff on standby to cover both their district and offered to cover Wappingers as well from my understatnding.

What point? looks like the car is legaly parked to me.

I would use that photo in court to prove it too when I sued the FD if it was my car. Then it would be a $75000 BMW sitting there.

If it were your Dept. would you want that Photo on the front page of the paper? I would love to hear the commisioners take on this act

Agreed. There is no hydrant next to the car and the hose goes beyond where it's parked so that wasn't it.

I think the unprofessional remark was about the hose placement not the truck placement, at least that's the way I read it.

What's "cool" about damaging someone's property? Aren't we in the business of trying to protect people's property?

Sometimes things are not as they realy are I.E. the hose over the vehicle. I do not think that the hose over the vehicle was done to cause dammage. As I said I know some of you at the scene, I do think is was to make a point. The truck placement was great , and to take a few extra seconds to place it that way. Good job to the driver in being heads up.

What "point" is being made by positioning the hose like that? It may not have been done to cause damage but it probably did cause damage and that isn't why we're here. Does anyone know if the FD spoke to the owner of the car? Are they going to foot the bill for any repairs?

QUOTE(Chris192 @ Apr 20 2008, 08:42 AM) Agreed. There is no hydrant next to the car and the hose goes beyond where it's parked so that wasn't it.

I think the unprofessional remark was about the hose placement not the truck placement, at least that's the way I read it.

What's "cool" about damaging someone's property? Aren't we in the business of trying to protect people's property?

What "point" is being made by positioning the hose like that? It may not have been done to cause damage but it probably did cause damage and that isn't why we're here. Does anyone know if the FD spoke to the owner of the car? Are they going to foot the bill for any repairs?

I am almost tired of seeing this thread continue. So if the SUPPLY LINE was kinked, and there was no place else to put it to straighten it out and the only other spot was over the car,then thats where it goes. Weather it is parked legal or not. I would not be searching for the owner when a house is burning to the ground. If damage is done then take care of that later. If the owner had come up to the guys in the street and said he or she would move it , then let the owner move the vehicle. But that didn't happen here. And I need to make a correction about the point being made , I thought the car was in front of a plug, that was the point I was talking about.

I can not believe the level of professionalism on this forum. It seems like most people did not realize what a great job that the operator's of 68-45 did that day, or the fact that 10ft above the turntable was utility lines. To operate a ladder truck of that size in the village is not easy, and sometimes impossible. Putting the supply line on top of that car, guess what it happens, EVERYWHERE. Think about during your time in the fire service or even ask some of the older members in your dept and see how many time's you or they have done thing's that are out of the ordinary to get the job done. I think that some people forget a rule in the fire service, risk vs. reward. I will even break it down for you, Risk: couple of dings and scratches on the roof of a car, and an upset resident. Reward: Saving a building from complete destruction, SAVING THE LIVES OF OUR BROTHERS BY SUPPLYING WATER TO THEM. I am not sure but I think I would rather go for the reward and not have to explain for a brother's family why their loved one had passed cause..... well......, we did not was to damage a parked car. Sorry.

I can not believe the level of professionalism on this forum. It seems like most people did not realize what a great job that the operator's of 68-45 did that day, or the fact that 10ft above the turntable was utility lines. To operate a ladder truck of that size in the village is not easy, and sometimes impossible. Putting the supply line on top of that car, guess what it happens, EVERYWHERE. Think about during your time in the fire service or even ask some of the older members in your dept and see how many time's you or they have done thing's that are out of the ordinary to get the job done. I think that some people forget a rule in the fire service, risk vs. reward. I will even break it down for you, Risk: couple of dings and scratches on the roof of a car, and an upset resident. Reward: Saving a building from complete destruction, SAVING THE LIVES OF OUR BROTHERS BY SUPPLYING WATER TO THEM. I am not sure but I think I would rather go for the reward and not have to explain for a brother's family why their loved one had passed cause..... well......, we did not was to damage a parked car. Sorry.

Just one more thing that needs to be said. The owner of the vehicle was there and told the fire dept do what ever you have to. The vehicle could not be moved so the hose went on top . Good job on stoping the fire from getting into the house and everyone went home.

Edited by x134

I also listened to the call and it was stated that the carrer staff of one Dept were not permited to relocate to standby in Wappingers fire station The Dept had members on the scene. and staff on standby to cover both their district and offered to cover Wappingers as well from my understatnding.

Actually, I think its better that the M/A request be turned down rather than accept it and not have the resources to meet the request.

Too many times we talk about requesting M/A and 15 minutes later you get a truck with a probie and a 70 year old on it (speaking hypothetically) - its better to admit your limitations sooner than later, then maybe after the event talk about what you can and can't realistically provide.

Just one more thing that needs to be said. The owner of the vehicle was there and told the fire dept do what ever you have to. The vehicle could not be moved so the hose went on top . Good job on stoping the fire from getting into the house and everyone went home.

Well that makes the issue moot. Thanks for the clarification.

Great breaking news: I was driving through the village today drinking a delicious Dairy Queen chocolate milkshake when I saw the infamous beige Hyundai driving down the street and the operator appeared to be in no obvious discomfort! Keyboard commandos, reduce color coded level from red "Severe" to blue "Guarded"

a136_terror_alert_system_2050081722-1669

your hilarious lol

everyone lets take one second to think about this LDH over the car ordeal.

20,000$ car (at the most)

400,000 house (give or take)

which is more important

all i know from what i saw was that car maybe had a few scratches on it. not that big of deal considering how great of a stop this fire was.

also look where the car is parked.

i would bet money that that car belongs to the homeowner

who has more bigger thigns to worry about than a few scratches on his car

well done WFD

WELL DONE

Considering the location of the car, location of the wires, location of where the ladder had to reach. I think the driver made a good decision.

Wow, I can't believe this thing is going still. I was only trying to point out that in hindsight it would have been better to run the damn 5" down the passenger side of the car instead of having to try and unkink it and reposition it on top of the car. Yes the truck placement was very good considering the obstacles, the guys did a great job protecting the main structure, and most importantly everyone went home. This crap with the hose isn't about the car. We have insurance for that. Its about thinking about where you are going with the hose before you place it. What if the car was full 40yd container. You're not running that hose over the top of that. Run the hose down the curb side and you have the room you need to make the connection. Same goes for every other stretch you make. Can we please now put this stupid car to rest.