Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
steve shryock

Ulster County Brush Fire 4/18/08

56 posts in this topic

im told Dutchess was also asked to send people over i herd the tones go out all last night but they were told that now that the state rangers are taken over that dept's. had to have yellow jump suits and foresty gear like the state rangers, if so they can go if not they will not send you, I think thats crap its a fire were all firefighters we should go no matter what to help out brother firefighters. my thought's

That's a SAFETY CALL made by the IC in consultation with the Safety Officer. Would you want guys in a structure fire without structural PPE? Why is it any different for a wildfire? PPE is PPE. You need it, you need it.

With regard to training, how many guys/departments have wildland fire training? That is a specialty unto itself.

And you had to know I was going to ask this... any idea what agencies are doing the air ops? Is there a water source for the air operations to refill nearby?

Apparently, a request is also being made for the full NYS Incident Management team.

Thanks,

Chris

I was out there 10 years ago when they had the Pine Barrons fire on eastern LI. I was with one of the IC's and we watched the fire jump Montauk Hwy, that was a scarey sight to see. Those guys out there do Forestry Training and are well equipt. Jump suits were what they all had. You're right Chris, PPE is not what you want. You also don't want jeans and hiking boots either.

They also had the specialized trucks for this type of fire on LI, Stump Jumpers with full roll cages.

Calling multiple if not all depts. in Westchester to send units. So Far Pleasntville, Ossining and Mohegan were called to do i think a 7amto 9pm test.

I know buchanan was called at 7 am this morning .I could not go was at work but I will go sun if needed

I just got back not too long ago from this fire and it is still going good. We were called in for a 12 hour shift starting at 08:00 (I had to leave early). The fire is 2000+ acres and is getting very close to structures. It is hard to fight these fires as the wind can change at any moment. Water is being dropped from helicopters. The Incident Management System is doing a great job as to knowing who is where. All departments are doing an amazing job working together.

It is my understanding that Battalion 12, of which Sleepy Hollow is a part, has been requested for a 12 hour shift on Sunday. I do not know how many, or which, departments will be participating in this deployment.

Good luck all.

-Carlos

The smoke was clearly visable from Harriman area this evening. That's roughly 38 miles or so south.

As I drove upHillandale Road approaching Fair Street in Carmel, last evening, off to the West, was a bright orange sunset, and immediately north of that leading into it was this large dark cloud. At that time I didn't know about the fire but that was definitely smoke from there. If I had known what it was, I wouldhave stopped and gotten some pictures.

Battalion 12 was requested to bring at least 10 guys from the battalion for sundays shift.

Today, a contingent from Westchester County met up at the Montrose FD and worked for close to 12 hours. To answer some of the questions...

Units/Departments that went:

Battalion 10

Continental Village FD 2131, 2132 w/ Mule (Not the four legged kind). (2 Members)

Buchanan FD 2551, U4 (4 Members)

Montrose FD (2 Members)

Croton FD 2083 (4 Members)

Chappaqua FD 2066, U31 (5 Members)

Vista FD (3 Members)

South Salem FD (3 Members)

Montrose VA FD 2574

(Not positive on the manpower totals, may be off on one or two).

Fire was approaching 2100 acres when we pulled out for the day.

NYSP Chopper and a Blackhawk chopper were making drops.

Got a bunch of photos, will post ASAP.

Today, a contingent from Westchester County met up at the Montrose FD and worked for close to 12 hours. To answer some of the questions...

Units/Departments that went:

Battalion 10

Continental Village FD 2131, 2132 w/ Mule (Not the four legged kind). (2 Members)

Buchanan FD 2551, U4 (4 Members)

Montrose FD (2 Members)

Croton FD 2083 (4 Members)

Chappaqua FD 2066, U31 (5 Members)

Vista FD (3 Members)

South Salem FD (3 Members)

Montrose VA FD 2574

(Not positive on the manpower totals, may be off on one or two).

Fire was approaching 2100 acres when we pulled out for the day.

NYSP Chopper and a Blackhawk chopper were making drops.

Got a bunch of photos, will post ASAP.

I was looking forward to the pictures of the mule until I read that it wasn't the 4 legged kind. That would have been interesting!

Any word if they are going to have other shifts in the upcoming week?

I didn't get the greatest pics, but here's a few of them. The last one is the Blackhawk filling up.

post-34-1208658198.jpg

post-34-1208658209.jpg

post-34-1208658223.jpg

Edited by Remember585

I didn't get the greatest pics, but here's a few of them. The last one is the Blackhawk filling up.

post-34-1208658223.jpg

I don't know what "not so great" pictures you are talking about, but I think the Blackhawk one is sweet!!!

Things looked to be getting a little better (winds were down and also shifted away from most structures) as of 2100 hrs. Many companies were being released for the night and a large line burn was done by NYS Rangers. Hopefully the weather will cooperate tomorrow and make things a little easier.

Just got home now from my 8am check in time... Many questions were answered already on here from previous members who were up there... As we were leaving i asked one of the rangers about size of the fire and he sai it was now close to 3000 acres and it is still out of control... I know they plan on having as much help as possible come up and give some time again tomm and monday... Great job by all out there, bc it was one tough job but an excellant job by everyone working together very smoothly...

What are the Westchester Departments being called in to do? Are they being called to the scene or to backfill other departments? Does anyone know what Battalion 12's assignment will be, are they going to back fill or are they going to the scene?

I was wondering the same thing. Im pretty sure Mohegan , pleasantville and a few others are going up 2mrw

When i said i wish i was there, shortly after we got one LOL

Went to PA for M/A and while we were wthere we had one in our 1st due area, My crew stayed while our brush and ATV went to the other, Had 3 depts there, Burnt around 10 acres, I not sure about the other but they were few hours

Fire was right in the woods on a hill side, I fell over a tree but im ok Finally got my gear dirty LOL

This was my first real brush fire

Edited by dave27

Stubborn Minnewaska fire won't quit

250 respond on third day as 2,300 acres of park burn

By Raja Abdulrahim

Times Herald-Record

April 20, 2008

Firefighters from 27 agencies continued to battle a brush fire last night that had spread to 2,300 acres of Minnewaska State Park.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../NEWS/804200338

any one know if they will be calling for additional personal this week?? sure would like to go give these guys a hand.