Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest WRVFD9000

Dispatching Jobs - Employment positions

12 posts in this topic

I was wondering if any towns in Fairfield County are currently hiring dispatchers. I am interested in finding a job a job as a dispatcher. If anyone could let me know I would really appreciate it. I was also wondering how I would go about obtaining training to be a dispatcher. Do the departments provide the training or do I have to go through the State of Connecticut?

Thanks

I don't mean to take away from your thread but I was also interested in a job dispatching but in Westchester. I know absolutely nothing on how to go about getting a job or any requirements to to get hired. I've been to the Westchester.gov website but haven't really got any information from it. I know from reading this site that a few people on here work for the county can any of you give me some info on it at all? Anything you can offer would be a great help. Thank you.

I'm also looking for Fairfield County dispatch jobs, preferably Part-Time ones.

Well obviously I work for Putnam, but it is pretty much the same process in Westchester. If you are looking for a job dispatching for 60-Control or Westchester County Police(I believe for WCPD it is the same test), you need to take the civil service exam offered by Westchester County Department of Human Resources. Those are offered when needed to be, and then be put on a list. I am not sure whether this test is also valid for towns and villages, and the couple cities that use county exams, like Peekskill and Rye.

But I do believe I saw a post up here about Town of Greenburgh PD looking for dispatchers.

Of course your other avenue, if you would like, is to work at one of ambulance companies as a dispatcher. Especially with Transcare, Empress, and Westchester EMS, these three operate dispatch centers within the 911 system as Seconday PSAP's. Transcare for White Plains; Empress for Yonkers; and Westchester EMS for Somers(Where you will also get fire dispatch experience and where I started out a very long time ago).

Good luck.

stamford ct just had a test for civilian dispatcher, I know greenwich just hired a bunch.

I was wondering if any towns in Fairfield County are currently hiring dispatchers. I am interested in finding a job a job as a dispatcher. If anyone could let me know I would really appreciate it. I was also wondering how I would go about obtaining training to be a dispatcher. Do the departments provide the training or do I have to go through the State of Connecticut?

Thanks

I don't know of any jobs right now, but I'll keep an ear open for you.

As for getting training, if you do not have any experience or training, the organization / department will provide the training for you. 90% of all dispatcher training is in house. You will also attend the Emergency Telecommunicator class at CSP HQ in Middletown to get you certification (good for six years ). If you are handling police calls, you also will take the COLLECT / NCIC training also at CSP HQ. Also the CT requires all dispatch centers that handle EMS to take an EMD course to be certified. I worked at C-Med Haven from 2000-04, then CSP from 2004-06, then back to C-MED fulltime for a few months b4 my present career. I still work PT at CMED New Haven and if you have any questions, give me a PM.

Thank you very much for your feedback, I reallyh appreciate. Where do I go to see if towns are hiring dispatchers I checked the town websites and didn't really see much and was wondering if there are any other places that I should look.

Well obviously I work for Putnam, but it is pretty much the same process in Westchester. If you are looking for a job dispatching for 60-Control or Westchester County Police(I believe for WCPD it is the same test), you need to take the civil service exam offered by Westchester County Department of Human Resources. Those are offered when needed to be, and then be put on a list. I am not sure whether this test is also valid for towns and villages, and the couple cities that use county exams, like Peekskill and Rye.

But I do believe I saw a post up here about Town of Greenburgh PD looking for dispatchers.

Of course your other avenue, if you would like, is to work at one of ambulance companies as a dispatcher. Especially with Transcare, Empress, and Westchester EMS, these three operate dispatch centers within the 911 system as Seconday PSAP's. Transcare for White Plains; Empress for Yonkers; and Westchester EMS for Somers(Where you will also get fire dispatch experience and where I started out a very long time ago).

Good luck.

Thank you for the info in a perfect world I would love to work for 60 Control (I think :lol: ) So I am mainly interested in that. Is there any training or classes that I need/could take to prepare myself for the civil service test? I read a little more today on the westchestergov site and from what I gather all I need is experience in using a two way radio and a high school diploma(which I have). I don't believe I need a college diploma if I read correctly? Thank you again for all your help.

DaRock98:

There is trianing and classes you could take if you would like to make yourself look much more appealing for hiring. But of course these maybe pretty costly.

As an example, we here in Putnam are certified as APCO Telecommunicator 1 and NAED Advanced EMD. Both of these organizations, the Association of Public-Safety Commuications Officals (APCO Web Site) and the National Academies of Emergency Dispatch ( NAED Web Site ) offer many more courses including fire and police dispatch, supervisory and management, and QA/QI courses.

But in my experience the number one specific requirement I have seen is experience as a volunteer firefighter or E.M.T.

Again I stress many of these can be expensive unless you are already employed.

Hope this helps.

Edited by DOC22
Made Link Hot

DaRock98:

There is trianing and classes you could take if you would like to make yourself look much more appealing for hiring. But of course these maybe pretty costly.

As an example, we here in Putnam are certified as APCO Telecommunicator 1 and NAED Advanced EMD. Both of these organizations, the Association of Public-Safety Commuications Officals (APCO Web Site) and the National Academies of Emergency Dispatch ( NAED Web Site ) offer many more courses including fire and police dispatch, supervisory and management, and QA/QI courses.

But in my experience the number one specific requirement I have seen is experience as a volunteer firefighter or E.M.T.

Again I stress many of these can be expensive unless you are already employed.

Hope this helps.

This helps a lot thank you very much!

Orange County should be giving the Public Safety Dispatcher (911 dispatch) test & the test for the Towns & Villages around the end of the year or the early part of next year. They do hire part time dispatchers there and there are a handful of PDs that hire dispatchers part time and you do not need to have any experience. At my job (no spots available, sorry), they hire part timers and train them.

Greenwich, CT had an ad in the Westchester newspapers about 2 weeks ago which means nobody up there wants the job. Not sure if they want an experienced person and if you have to move to CT after being appointed. Call or check their town and police/fire websites.

Good Luck to you.

Dr. Zuki

Lawrence Hospital