Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firepunk

Westchester Mutual Aid

45 posts in this topic

And who's fault is that? How many times was Yonkers FD there?

Yonkers Stopped going years ago.

New Rochelle and Eastchester should also stop being the 3rd due engine and truck.

You are right Bnechis, the media should be aware and the residents should be aware.

Where is the justifaction of building a 2.3 Mil firehouse with no vols to man the house except to hang out when they have nothing else to do which is rare. Have shiny new appartaus to have ghost riders in them. Where as the career departments are driving antiquated equipment, firehouses are falling apart IE Mount Vernon.

No look at the situation: Food prices gas prices and everything else with COLA has gone through the roof. How do residents find the time to be a volunteer when they have to work all the time to pay the bills, play with there kids, do chores around the house and so on. We are in a time where it is a lot worse to be a vol especially with the new training requirements. I am not making this a paid Vs Vol issue but this is the truth and the truth hurts sometimes. You do not see me volunteering as a doctor, lawyer, CPA or stock broker.

Again when I started this thread I was just asking a question about MA to the Vern. This is a sensitive subject to career and vols. I did not want this to get out of hand as it did.

It amazes me that all the indians have alot things to say which make the most sence and the Chiefs do not want to here it or the big wigs. I guess that nextel commercial is the truth "If Firefighters Ran Things"

it is not a question of "Fault", you are assigned to go you go and by the same token whenever we ask for M/A from MVFD they send it, no matter what their manning is.

Is it right?

Yes Capt you are right: What is the sense of that. You are making the wound bigger by taking 4 guys out of the vern to go to the rock. i thought new rochelle wanted at least three per rig no meet the New Rock way???? Now they having nothing. That is the scary part. But that is the way of firefighting in the sound shore. Be safe Capt

Again when I started this thread I was just asking a question about MA to the Vern. This is a sensitive subject to career and vols. I did not want this to get out of hand as it did.

Really? Out of hand? I thought this was one of the most civil discussions about staffing I've seen on here in quite some time.

Yonkers Stopped going years ago. New Rochelle and Eastchester should also stop being the 3rd due engine and truck.

Did YFD really stop going or did they put restrictions on going to the point that MV chosies not to call them anymore?

NRFD & EFD do not have the resources to "write off" MV

Where is the justifaction of building a 2.3 Mil firehouse with no vols to man the house except to hang out when they have nothing else to do which is rare. Have shiny new appartaus to have ghost riders in them. Where as the career departments are driving antiquated equipment, firehouses are falling apart IE Mount Vernon.

The justification is pleasing the people that the politicians belive will support them. it rarely has anything to due with fire protection.

I did not want this to get out of hand as it did.

Did not :P at least not yet

it is not a question of "Fault", you are assigned to go you go and by the same token whenever we ask for M/A from MVFD they send it, no matter what their manning is.

Is it right?

It's not the members fault by no means. When your told to go, you go. It's up to the Top Brass and City Officials to put an end to it or at least some restrictions on it, like Mayor Spencer and Comm. Pagano did. The only reason FDMV responds on m/a is because they abuse it so much and feel obligated to do so. Is it right? Absolutely not, especially when your undermanned to begin with and your now leaving the rest of the Dept. and City without adequate fire protection, which you really didn't have in the 1st place.

You do not see me volunteering as a doctor, lawyer, CPA or stock broker.

I don't know of anyone Volunteering for those Professions, but there sure are many of us doing trade work as a B-JOB, taking bread away from those who do it for a living and are dues paying members of a Trade Union. Just ask any member of Local 3, how they feel about firefighters doing electrical work on the side, especially when it's off the books. Or how about the plumber or carpenter who has his own business who's having difficulty paying his employees salaries and health insurance, because a cop or ff. is doing the same job for less. Your argument bro. is a dead issue and unjustifiable and has been for yrs.

just wanted to say that on the mvfd m/a pelham manor no longer responds to mt vernon

the way i hear it ( mind you this is second hand ) the pmfd chief and mvfd chief have had words and they will no longer go on m/a at least not on 1st done in bases because no volunteers are allowed into a union area when ever pmfd goes in they have to do call backs to cover pm fire or like when pelham went to nrfd to stand by and the tmfd stood by on 5th ave for pelham for the same reason no volunteers in new rochelle as far as pelham they may be in the same boat also as pelham manor

just wanted to say that on the mvfd m/a pelham manor no longer responds to mt vernon

the way i hear it ( mind you this is second hand ) the pmfd chief and mvfd chief have had words and they will no longer go on m/a at least not on 1st done in bases because no volunteers are allowed into a union area when ever pmfd goes in they have to do call backs to cover pm fire or like when pelham went to nrfd to stand by and the tmfd stood by on 5th ave for pelham for the same reason no volunteers in new rochelle as far as pelham they may be in the same boat also as pelham manor

What are you talking about (particularly the bold/underlined)?

Is your punctuation keys broken on your computer? I did not understand 1 word of that rambling post.

Here we go again! lol

Thank you, I was going to ask the same question!

Edited by JAD622

Thank you, I was going to ask the same question!

Pelham Manor does not want to pay overtime to call back guys to staff their firehouse while a rig is on M/A to MV. They took themselves off the list at least a year or two ago. Pelham is lower on the list then they used to be also (they are a last resort now i think). MV gets New Rochelle, Eastchester, Fairview, Greenville, White Plains, and then Yonkers/FDNY but only if they get to go to the scene and work and it has to be big. YO will not cover a house (and i believe that is there rule for all M/A not just to MV). FDNY usually is only seen at a job on the border or on occasion on the highway.

Pelham Manor FD, Yonkers, and FDNY are the only Depts. that seem to have Balls when it comes to this issue! Now if the rest of the Career and Combo Depts. stepped up and took the same approach maybe FDMV would get somewhere with their manning issue and would finally rely less on m/a, instead of resorting to Regionalization/Consolidation as the cure all! That's the easy way out for City Officials.

Edited by FirNaTine

sorry i didnot get back sooner but just to explain something some months back in 2007 pelham fd went to new roc to stand by or to the scene and the tmfd went to stand by in pelham with eng 36 i also heard that pelham manor will not go to mt vernon because the chiefs have had words about pmfd having to call back career men to cover his village because the vollies are not allowed in mt vernon the tmfd vollies drive and operate every piece as do the paid men

sorry i didnot get back sooner but just to explain something some months back in 2007 pelham fd went to new roc to stand by or to the scene and the tmfd went to stand by in pelham with eng 36 i also heard that pelham manor will not go to mt vernon because the chiefs have had words about pmfd having to call back career men to cover his village because the vollies are not allowed in mt vernon the tmfd vollies drive and operate every piece as do the paid men

Like I said earlier in my posts. There are to many big wigs that get in the way. If I am not mistaken the arguement that happened between Pelham Manor and Mount Vernon has to do with the first street fire a few years ago. Mount Vernon's second shift was coming in and the first shift was being relieved and all the MA companies were still operating. By all rights Pelham Manor had every right to fight that. Why should other departments fight a fire in a city that lets there own guys go home while a multi alarm fire is underway. All departments had that fight with Mount Vernon. That is mutual aid abuse!!! Also if I am not mistaken all town departments that go on mutual aid do call backs. That is what has to be done because every department is so understaffed. Small departments are not cities and do not have the resources to have 3 or 4 guys on a rig. With the execpection of Eastchester and Greenville that is how it works. So as I stated before is it ok to call a department 20 mins away when other departments are ready to work?? Because of difference in opinion Pelham,Pelham Manor and other departments that have to call back don't go to MV because of Big wigs getting in the way. That is not the way MA is to work. That is not the agreement. The agreement is when you need help others are to come by any means to help, not b**** and moan about overtime. That is Bull Sh*t