Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

Greenburgh Sanitation Rollover Incident 5-6-08

39 posts in this topic

Some firefighters do not believe it is important to provide service other than fire response, and while some "customer service" responses are a waste of time, the depts. that willingly respond to all types of requests, get better equipment, contracts due to the support of the community. Otherwise, the community believes in the old concept of the fireman sitting around playing cards on my dime and the will never support that, particularly when taxes are so high.

Better equipment, better contracts, because of "customer service" responses. That's not necessarily true. Let's face it, it all depends on what municipality you work for. That maybe true to some extent in an affluent community where the majority of its residents expect you to take your boots off prior to entering their residence, but not in a poorer, inner city community, where they're just happy to see you. If productivity is what they want, and that's debatable depending on who "they" are, in order to treat and compensate the FD fairly, then there should be no reason to close stations and companies. I've dealt with City Officials who right out, blatantly said, " I don't care what other services you'll provide, your not getting the contract you want, nor more manning and equipment." So is that the answer then? We're to take on more of a workload, including unnecessary m/a coverage, with less manpower and equipment because fires are down? I really haven't seen the benefit. I haven't seen an increase in our workforce because we're now responding to "Heat Complaints." The only thing I've seen is an increase in our total annual runs, and an unnecesarry increase in the wear and tear on apparatus which to begin with, are manned by a skeleton crew. We're now doing more with less and the City Officials could care less, until its election time and then they promise you the world which usually comes to an abrupt stop after they're elected. If the general public still has that old concept of us, of sitting around playing cards waiting for the "Big One", then maybe we should all learn to keep the apparatus doors shut when in qrts. or at least tell the guys to not sit and hang around on the front apron, hooting and hollaring at everyone that walks bye. Out of sight, out of mind. Let's stop being our own worst enemy. That includes washing your cars in plainview of everyone.

Over the last few years, we have been doing so much more with less that soon we will do everything.....with nothing !!!

Edited by dadbo46

I'm sorry, the intent of my original post was not to start a war about the services used at this scene, however I felt that the incident itself was ridiculous. Not the efforts or mutual aid of the fire departments involved or that of police or ems, but how do you roll over a garbage truck when you go around that turn every single day and should be much more aware and responsible. It is pretty obvious that this is another case of someone thinking they can drive fast in a truck that is large and may have uneven weight distribution because they do it everyday. My point was almost like what happened in Harrison (sorry to relive it) or other places involving emergency vehicles when people think that lights and sirens allow them special permissions to blatantly drive way to fast and run (meaning don't stop at all for) red lights. This vehicle belongs to the Town, hence the taxpayers and in my opinion, all municipal workers need to keep in mind that they aren't immediately footing the bill for the truck nor the insurance costs associated with what happened. And when things like this happen they are open to a very public forum and make all municipal workers look like fools! And if some don't think that the public has a clue, they are wrong...they are always watching when it comes to something with their town/village/city name upon it and will want to know exactly what happened, and the media will feed them what they want. Use your head, that is all I am asking.

Garbage truck rollover, eh?......Now THAT'S a dirty job! Just ask Mike Rowe.

Oswego, was it speed? I have no clue what that turn looks like, so I'm just speculating here but... Could they have gotten off the road onto a soft shoulder? Maybe someone got a little too greedy with the road and didn't expect a garbage truck so they had to cut tighter than normal?

I am no investigator, but they do use the single turn at least twice a day, to and fro work. So, they should know what it takes and what it is made of...in fact they probably had something to do with the making of it...

does anyone know if it was ardsly's district? and if it was why werent they called to their own district for m/a?

Greenville was 1st they notified Hartsdale it was in Hartsdale (very close to the HFD-AFD line)... gpd responded as ems and with their tech rescue team.

Ardsley as far as I am told only showed up with a chief no apparatus.. (That is as I am told if that’s not true some one feel free to pm me)

does anyone know if it was ardsly's district? and if it was why werent they called to their own district for m/a?

See above post I believe that should answer your question.