Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Next Generation FDNY Seagrave Marauder II Engines Begin To Arrive!

13 posts in this topic

Check out this thread on FireEngines.net for further details and photos:

http://www.modelfiretrucks.net/smf/index.php?topic=7176.0

Looks like some major,major and very impressive changes! This is a complete overhaul of specs....something I don't think that's been done to this scale in decades.

Pretty impressive. Hope they have good luck with them. I like the fact that the cab as no ABS in it.

Not so sure I like'em......although, a lot of the layout is the same. Hose bed, high sides and other compartments are the same. I don't know what all the mounts for suction hose is for?

2000gpm pumps for everyone? Is that a definite fact cause the plumbing of that rig looks like the engines that go with the Sat. units. This really doesn't look like the unit that every engine co. is going to get. I'm going to guess this is the new High Pressure engine.

What's with the fixed middle window on the officers side of the cab? What's that silver plate behind that chauffer on the side? How's the seating in the rear? 2 face back/2 face front? Anyone have interior pictures? It looks like the guy facing backwards doesn't even have an opening window..........that'll go over great in the summer when the A/C isn't working (and it never does)

Edited by M' Ave

All units due for new engines will be getting these. The decision was made to for 2000gpm pumpers and fdny wants to able to draft in real emergencies. Such as 9/11 when most of mains in that area were broken and water supply was an issue. lines were stretched from boats to supply pumpers at wtc. The fdny now will have the capability to use these pumpers to draft and also to be able to relay for great distances if need arises. Also cab is open cab interior no windows between front and back. 2 seats behind officer and chauff. 2 seats inside cab face forward but not located at entry point more middle of cab.

Edited by Mac8146

The High Pressure Pumper is a separate rig scheduled for 8 Engine, not part of the 70 2000gpm pumoers, original order was 69 but E-311 was totalled a few months ago by tractor trailer and 1 pumper was added on to contract.

Not so sure I like'em......although, a lot of the layout is the same. Hose bed, high sides and other compartments are the same. I don't know what all the mounts for suction hose is for?

I would assume its not all for hard suction. FDNY did at one time use those style racks for their high-rise standpipe kits. Maybe the fourth one is supposed to be for this purpose.

2000gpm pumps for everyone? Is that a definite fact cause the plumbing of that rig looks like the engines that go with the Sat. units. This really doesn't look like the unit that every engine co. is going to get. I'm going to guess this is the new High Pressure engine.

Yes, FDNY is going away from the 1000 gpm pump the last report I knew of and what was reported in a Fire Apparatus Journal article. These are not high pressure pumpers since they are not equipped with a three stage pump which the high pressure units are equipped with. This style is the new pumper for standard engine companies that I understood from the press articles.

What's with the fixed middle window on the officers side of the cab? What's that silver plate behind that chauffer on the side?

The window is standard like any other type of cab for the officer's side. As for the driver's side, that is a compartment for the driver. I would assume that is for the driver's gear and other small equipment say a gas meter or something. This compartment is an option offered by many manufacturers and usually only place it on the driver's side of the cab and is not that deep and not to restrict vision. You can get this cabinet on both sides if a department so specifies it. But the FDNY pumper does have a small window next to the cabinet on the driver's side.

How's the seating in the rear? 2 face back/2 face front? Anyone have interior pictures? It looks like the guy facing backwards doesn't even have an opening window..........that'll go over great in the summer when the A/C isn't working (and it never does)

I would assume its 2 and 2 like yo say and yes the guy facing backwards does have a window opening, its the door window (not trying to be smart with you here). That cabinet on the driver's side is in between the rear of the backwards seat and rear of the driver seat. Thus the backwards rider is far out enough towards the door. Even if it was four across backwards, there would be still room. My company looked at this option when we spec'd out our new engine but decided against it since we had decided on a LFD cab configuration. Many manufactures don't recommend the window between the front and rear door to be an opening one, but the option is available with certain cabs if desired.

I'm only going by the information that I have read and researched but what I have said is not confirmed. - Izzy

Nice rigs, but those rounded lights look terrible.

I would assume its not all for hard suction. FDNY did at one time use those style racks for their high-rise standpipe kits. Maybe the fourth one is supposed to be for this purpose.

Yes, FDNY is going away from the 1000 gpm pump the last report I knew of and what was reported in a Fire Apparatus Journal article. These are not high pressure pumpers since they are not equipped with a three stage pump which the high pressure units are equipped with. This style is the new pumper for standard engine companies that I understood from the press articles.

The window is standard like any other type of cab for the officer's side. As for the driver's side, that is a compartment for the driver. I would assume that is for the driver's gear and other small equipment say a gas meter or something. This compartment is an option offered by many manufacturers and usually only place it on the driver's side of the cab and is not that deep and not to restrict vision. You can get this cabinet on both sides if a department so specifies it. But the FDNY pumper does have a small window next to the cabinet on the driver's side.

I would assume its 2 and 2 like yo say and yes the guy facing backwards does have a window opening, its the door window (not trying to be smart with you here). That cabinet on the driver's side is in between the rear of the backwards seat and rear of the driver seat. Thus the backwards rider is far out enough towards the door. Even if it was four across backwards, there would be still room. My company looked at this option when we spec'd out our new engine but decided against it since we had decided on a LFD cab configuration. Many manufactures don't recommend the window between the front and rear door to be an opening one, but the option is available with certain cabs if desired.

I'm only going by the information that I have read and researched but what I have said is not confirmed. - Izzy

When you say, "high rise stand pipe kits" I'm gonna assume you mean roll-ups and we still keep them there on the shelf above the compartments.

Having the two forward facing seats be centered in the cab sounds like a terrible idea. It's very helpful for us to get a look at what we're going into before we actually pull up in front. As for the guys facing backwards, I've been there too. The window on our current seagraves slides open. It ain't much, but it's better than a fixed window. That little silver box behind the ECC is DEFINITLY not big enough for gear.

We'll have to see how they work out, who knows?

Edited by M' Ave

When you say, "high rise stand pipe kits" I'm gonna assume you mean roll-ups and we still keep them there on the shelf above the compartments.

Having the two forward facing seats be centered in the cab sounds like a terrible idea. It's very helpful for us to get a look at what we're going into before we actually pull up in front. As for the guys facing backwards, I've been there too. The window on our current seagraves slides open. It ain't much, but it's better than a fixed window. That little silver box behind the ECC is DEFINITLY not big enough for gear.

We'll have to see how they work out, who knows?

On the hose yah that is what I mean. Working out in eastern CT has me saying stuff weird now LOL.

My vollie engine (which also has tow outboard, forward facing non scba flip downs) and the new rig we just got at my career job have the forward center seats. I like them and adds a little more leg and elbow room instead of being bunched up on one side of a tilt cab.

I hope they work out for FDNY and I hope I can see one of them up close soon.

No one around the job seems to have heard much about them, but no one I've talked with is happy about the rear seat configuration. if you're sitting in the center of the cab while faacing forward it would seemingly make it much more difficult to get a look at what you're heading too and no one likes that idea very much.

What I'd like to know is; why the jump to 2,000gpm pumps? hydrant pressure isn't usually a problem unless something is wrong with it and the city has had 1,00gpm pumps for decades. Why the jump to 2,000? Why not 1,500? I'm not saying there's no reason, just wondering what the city has in store for us.

The seat configuration had to change. There's just no room in these cabs. At least now there's enough room to actually sit while fully geared up.

I'm assuming it has to do with the extra hard suction being added. They got caught bad on 9/11 when they lost their water supply. The 2000 gpm pumper gives greater cpability with drafting. There has also been a lack of support and redundancy for satellite co's. Now there is back-up readily available should their eng have problems or if they have maxed out their stretch you drop any of these engines into the middle to maintain pressure.