Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LT. 22

New Canaan(Fairfield)-Working Fire-05/09/08

11 posts in this topic

Some photos of the fire at the CT State DOT Garage in New Canaan. NCFD got the call at 04:11 and had it under control in about an hour. Three State DOT trucks were destroyed and three were damaged. The building suffered severe structural damage. Sorry, the photos are not the best.

post-128-1211561268.jpg

post-128-1211561274.jpg

post-128-1211561282.jpg

post-128-1211561359.jpg

WOW! Thanks for sharing the photos. The one with the damaged trucks says it all......

It takes some intese heat to do that kind of damage. I heard, in total, 6 trucks were actually destroyed.

NCFD FF's must have taken some pounding given the brick and concrete construction and fuel load of the typical CT*DOT garage, which I'm assuming didn't have sprinklers.

Do you know if any foam was used in this fire, or anyone have any more information on the tatics?

That fire was burning in acesss of 1000 degrees, to warp that steal. If the fire reached temperatures in excess of 1500 that steel couldnt support its own weight. Its Just amazing how much heat those trucks let out due to the fire load.

That fire was burning in acesss of 1000 degrees, to warp that steal. If the fire reached temperatures in excess of 1500 that steel couldnt support its own weight. Its Just amazing how much heat those trucks let out due to the fire load.

You wouldn't happen to be using Mr. Walsh's Formula here would you sr71??

10*100*1000*1600*-6 ???

You wouldn't happen to be using Mr. Walsh's Formula here would you sr71??

10*100*1000*1600*-6 ???

hey Nate at least I Learned something....lol..

WOW! Thanks for sharing the photos. The one with the damaged trucks says it all......

It takes some intese heat to do that kind of damage. I heard, in total, 6 trucks were actually destroyed.

NCFD FF's must have taken some pounding given the brick and concrete construction and fuel load of the typical CT*DOT garage, which I'm assuming didn't have sprinklers.

Do you know if any foam was used in this fire, or anyone have any more information on the tatics?

Most of the damage to the building happened over the truck in the center with the buckled roof. Three trucks were destroyed, three were damaged. There were no sprinklers it the building and only a local fire alarm. There is a hydrant in front of the building. We layed a supply line in after L-3 got into the lot. Most of the initial attack was from the outside with a 2 1/2 hand line. Then two 1 3/4 handlines were used to pinch off the fire from each end. L-3 opened up one of the overhead doors with their saw, the other door colapsed onto the truck. An additional line was brought to a side door to protect the other trucks. A backup line was also streched. No foam was used. L-3 was used for roof observation and to extinguish smoldering roofing material. Nobody was on the roof.

Hi, Sorry,

I was working on resizing your pictures earlier today, (they blew out the page margins due to the resolution) and for some reason when I edited the post that one shot would not upload.

I'm working on a solution, as we speak.... I still have that "missing" picture file.

Please bear with me...

Thanks for reposting the trucks....awesome photos, that one says it all.....

In the first picture, the smoke looks almost like it's in 3-D!!!

Well over a million dollars in damages, in minutes!

Actually the problem with buildings like these is you do not feel the heat until it is too late do to the high ceilings. The one thing that we do have nowadays is the TIC and it gives us to see those piping hot I beams sagging. Remember unprotected steel bar joists are even more dangerous because they are effected by the heat even faster and can potentially fail in 5-10 minutes. That's just about the time an overly agressive company might be making a push.

Sounds like the New Canaan brothers used perfect tactics under the conditions big lines and big water to cool things down and then entered to finish things off.