Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

NYC Fleet Week 2008- Parade Of Ships

13 posts in this topic

Hey Mike

Great pic's . Love the 18's

Great pictures Mike. Hey Mike do you plan to come to the helo demo at playland on Sunday? (I will be there and will have a rfd hat on and will try to get some photos).

Edited by rfdu39

Great pics! Question for any Navy folks out there... do the LSD's have a fully functioning Carrier deck with the catapult and all?

Very cool

post-93-1211459243.jpg

That's an LSD. What you commented on is an LHD. The LSD is designed to mainly carry the LCAC (Air Cushion Landing Craft) and the LHD is designed to mainly carry helicopters to the amphibious battlefront.

The LHD does not have catapults like a traditional carrier (CV/CVN). In the interest of landing spots for helicopters (and now Ospreys like you see aboard her) they didn't even put in a jump ramp like the Brits incorporate into their Aircraft Carriers. This severely limits the ability of the Harrier, as it has to take off vertically, or near vertically depending on deck space. It can do it, but it burns more fuel, more fuel aboard means less armament, blah blah blah.

Anyway...if you're interested, there is an AWESOME website with all this info on it : http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...ship/index.html

I linked the US Military Ships page, but you can find pretty much whatever you want about pretty much any weapons system in the world on there. Most of the info is pretty current.

I hope that helps and wasn't too preachy. Not my intent.

BTW, great shots!!

Nice to see the Bainbridge Island and Ida Lewis making an appearance.

In case anyone is interested, there is the annual airshow at Jones Beach this Saturday and Sunday May 24 and 25 from 10am to 3pm. The F-22 Raptor and the Blue Angels will highlight the show. If you have never been to this show I strongly suggest it. The weather will be great and you dont have to be on the beach, you can stay on the boardwalk if you like.

This severely limits the ability of the Harrier, as it has to take off vertically, or near vertically depending on deck space. It can do it, but it burns more fuel, more fuel aboard means less armament, blah blah blah.

Not to mention nice to watch when a brisk crosswind is blowing or gusts up. That and the distinctive whine of those rolls royce engines.

Long live the Kearsarge and Essex!

Great pictures Mike. Hey Mike do you plan to come to the helo demo at playland on Sunday? (I will be there and will have a rfd hat on and will try to get some photos).

I'll be up at the Jimmy Muster on Sunday.

post-2995-1211769017.jpg

Here is a picture from todays helocopter demo at playland

Edited by rfdu39

Another one.

post-2995-1211769243.jpg

Last one.

post-2995-1211769367.jpg

All of these photos are mine.