Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Has Anyone Had The Chance To Check Out The Pierce PUC?

11 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if any apparatus comitees have or are taking the Pierce PUC into consideration?

I had the oppurtunity to check one out, on the very nice Impel chasis a few weeks ago for the first time. It really is a great concept, and frees up a lot of space. The hosebed and crosslays are low and easy to access, and the pump is easier to service. There is a TON of storage space. I think it's going to be the next big revolution in fire apparatus.

I'm still waiting to see the new Pierce PUC with the top/side mount pump panel, I hear it's an awesome Engine! Pierce also has put the PUC on a 75' RM Quint, Phoenix is trying one out as we speak, and it will also be available on Pierce's Contender brand.

post-11-1212193670.jpg

post-11-1212193809.jpg

I'm still waiting to see the new Pierce PUC with the top/side mount pump panel, I hear it's an awesome Engine!

A demo was brought to us. you need a harness and a belay to get down safely. plus you cant see the right side of the truck. You are standing on the top left side, you have to extend a light post with a camera that is wired to the pump panel to see over the rig.

Awesome is not the word I would use.

A demo was brought to us. you need a harness and a belay to get down safely. plus you cant see the right side of the truck. You are standing on the top left side, you have to extend a light post with a camera that is wired to the pump panel to see over the rig.

Awesome is not the word I would use.

As opposed to standing on the side of the rig, where you can't see anything? Or in traffic?

I just saw photos from a friend taken from the pump panel of a top mount PUC. The camera is an option that's intergrated into the Command Zone system. From what I could tell on the photos, you can see around the engine, the only exception would be if you have a raised roof. The stairs that fold down seem pretty straightfoward. I do admit it may be a pain to climb up and down, but if you want a top mount pumper and don't want to sacrifice wheelbase, this seems like a smart way to go.

Although not everyone may like it, it's a pretty unique configuration that gives you plenty of space.

This may be a stupid question, but whats the PUC stand for?

This may be a stupid question, but whats the PUC stand for?

Pump Under Cab

Perhaps I'm a bit naive, but how does one gain compartment space when you put the pump panel in a compartment?

I also have looked at photos of this PUC configuration, and to me, the crosslays seem to be a little low for my taste. I like where they are on most rigs, specifically the Seagrave. I can grab it, shoulder it and walk away. The PUC looks as though I would have to croutch a bit.

And my last concern - I am always hesitant to jump in and buy something when it first comes out. Give it a few years to be tested and tried so they work out any issues they find.

I think too many people will jump in and buy something simply because it is the latest "fad" or thanks to a great marketing program. How many people are members of a department who has seen stuff purchased because it's the latest and "greatest" thing, only to find it's not all it's cracked up to be?

Pump Under Cab

Taken from the Pierce website--hope this does not violate too many rules here--

PUC | Pumpers

Today’s fire departments told us what they want in a first response vehicle. A vehicle that dramatically reduces operational steps. Make it safer to use and operate. Provide easy access for easier servicing. Allow for better organization with more compartment space. Design greater conveniences to work faster, and all in a rig that’s still highly maneuverable. Plus, eliminate the pumphouse so the truck can be built around your needs and not the pump. To accomplish all that – well, no one could accomplish all of that. Until now. No more compromises. PUC the Pierce Ultimate Configuration — changes everything.

Edited by PVFD113

And my last concern - I am always hesitant to jump in and buy something when it first comes out. Give it a few years to be tested and tried so they work out any issues they find.

Who would be the ones to test and try it?

Although I think the PUC has some drawbacks, I think it also has a lot of features that make it a perfect fit for some departments. If you're considering apparatus of this type, always ask if you can borrow the demo for a few days to see how it works and really get to use it.

Don't forget, it's a custom apparatus- crosslays can be moved higher, and just about anything else. You're not really losing compartment space due to the way the pump is configured....there is no true "pump housing", so you actually gain compartment space AND shorten your wheelbase.

Here's some of the benefits of the PUC, via Pierce's site:

http://www.piercemfg.com/ModelDetails.html...c7-767435ef7524

Looking at this photo made me think of something else. Should I, as the MPO, need to get into the cab to do something in a hurry, I now have to step over the hoses to do so - whereas if it was a normal side-mount pump, I could position myself at the pump with the hose to my right.

I'm not against it nor am I trying to spark debate, but it's just not that "exciting" to me.

Heck, I'm still not sold on top mount pumps and/or CAFS! I guess I'm a little old school after all.

walkup-access.jpg

As opposed to standing on the side of the rig, where you can't see anything? Or in traffic?

To get to the pump you still have to walk in traffic. Also when on the ground, you can walk to the front or rear and take a look. Up on this thing you are trapped.

I just saw photos from a friend taken from the pump panel of a top mount PUC. The camera is an option that's intergrated into the Command Zone system. From what I could tell on the photos, you can see around the engine, the only exception would be if you have a raised roof.

As I said, I climbed the rig. While Standing at the pump panel (no raised roof) I could not see 3 sides of the truck. It is not like a top mounted pump that you can see around. It is rare that a pump operator can stay at the pump without ever moving, you do not have access fittings, hose, or to assist members in hooking up without climbing down from that purch.

The stairs that fold down seem pretty straightfoward. I do admit it may be a pain to climb up and down, but if you want a top mount pumper and don't want to sacrifice wheelbase, this seems like a smart way to go.

Since the stairs dont have hand rails, you may get the short wheelbase and a top mount, but I think you are going to get members hurt.

Although not everyone may like it, it's a pretty unique configuration that gives you plenty of space.

I give Pierce a lot of credit for trying, but I dont think this is the way to go. I also question how much friction loss and GPM loss there is when you put 2 90 deg turns in the main suction.

The Beekman Fire District has one in the works. Hopefully it will be delivered by the end of the year. Combining two trucks into one (Engine and a Rescue).