Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnnyOV

Ossining box alarms - how are they set up?

8 posts in this topic

just wondering how Ossining FD set up their box alarms, and what each one means

Minor alarms cover each section of the village, its broken into four sections. 1-1-1-1 (middle of Village, Main st area), 1-1-2 (south end of Village, Arcadian area), 1-1-3 (north end of Village, N. Highland Ave area), 1-1-4 (east side of Village Croton Ave area). Town calls are broken into two, basically split by rt 134, they are 2-1-3 (North of 134) and 2-1-4 (South of 134). Then there's calls for the rescue and a pumper 7-? or 7-7 for rescue (or boat) alone. 6-6 is a general alarm in the village, all 9 trucks go. Then there's a box for individual companies, fast etc.

Edited by OnTheWheel

Do you still tone out for individual street locations, example 2-3 (2 blasts on the village horn followed by 3 blasts) was for a specific street or intersection? Remember as a kid we would listen to the whistle, count that alarm and run inside and look at the sheet my Dad had hanging up in the kitchen to see were the job was. Was way before plectrons and pagers.

How many houses does Ossining have?

7 Firehouses are spread around the village, housing 9 Companies in an all volunteer service consisting of over 450 members, with two Ladder trucks, six pumper trucks, one rescue, utility (RIT) and two fire boats.

Ossining Hose (E96) is located on Snowden Ave.

Cataract Hose (E97) is located on Waller Ave.

Steamer Co. (E98) Is located on Central Ave.

Monitor Hose (E99) is located on Central Ave.

Holla Hose (E100) is located on the corner of State St. and Lafayette Ave.

Independent Hose (E101) is located on Campwoods Road.

Ladder 41 is located in the new firehouse on State Street.

Washington Truck (L42) is located on Snowden Ave

Rescue 14 is located in the new firehouse located on State Street.

The individual Engine Company boxes are 8-x(8-1 for E96 through 8-6 for E101). This is also how the 7-x boxes for R14 and an Engine Co. works. Ladder Co. box is box 5 on a three month alternating basis (L41 Jan-Mar,Jul-Sep),(L42 Apr-Jun,Oct-Dec). U51 as FAST runs with E98 on box 8-3.

Individual street boxes are no longer used, probably as least 30-40 years ago they were discontinued.

An FYI, Steamer Co. on Central Ave owns their house which is the same building (except it is upstairs) that L41 used to be housed at on Main St. In other words, L41 used to be upstairs on Main St, while E98 is downstairs around the corner on Central Ave. Indepependent Co. also owns their own building, The other five house are owned by the Village of Ossining.

I was curious about this too. I dont hear the units very well on this side of the county, so i wasnt sure how many rigs they send to different types of alarms. What do local alarms get? and what types are considered general?

JBJ

Minor alarms get 2 pumpers, ladder and rescue. Minors are dumpsters, alarms, cars, wires etc. General gets them all, those are for reported/confirmed working fires or car fires near/in structure, calls of that nature. I forget "town call" (2-1-3. 2-1-4) truck designations, Steve could clarify, but thats all they get, there is no such thing as a "general" in the town, it would strip the village bare.

Edited by OnTheWheel