Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x242Steve

Poss. Structure vs. Inside Investigation

11 posts in this topic

A quick (but perhaps not-so-simple) question for my fellow dispatchers over at 60-Control...

What criteria do you follow to determine whether a call is dispatched as a Possible Structure Fire vs. an Inside Investigation?

Any reported fire or possible fire in or on a Structure as defined as a dwelling, place of buisness, or building.

Struc·ture thinsp.png /ˈstrʌkthinsp.pngtʃər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[struhk-cher] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -tured, -tur·ing. –noun 1.mode of building, construction, or organization; arrangement of parts, elements, or constituents: a pyramidal structure. 2.something built or constructed, as a building, bridge, or dam.

build·ing thinsp.png /ˈbɪlthinsp.pngdɪŋ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[bil-ding] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun 1.a relatively permanent enclosed construction over a plot of land, having a roof and usually windows and often more than one level, used for any of a wide variety of activities, as living, entertaining, or manufacturing. 2.anything built or constructed.

** From Dictionary.com

Edited by Chiefmcfuz

Any reported fire or possible fire in or on a Structure as defined as a dwelling, place of buisness, or building.

Struc·ture thinsp.png /ˈstrʌkthinsp.pngtʃər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[struhk-cher] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -tured, -tur·ing. –noun 1.mode of building, construction, or organization; arrangement of parts, elements, or constituents: a pyramidal structure. 2.something built or constructed, as a building, bridge, or dam.

build·ing thinsp.png /ˈbɪlthinsp.pngdɪŋ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[bil-ding] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun 1.a relatively permanent enclosed construction over a plot of land, having a roof and usually windows and often more than one level, used for any of a wide variety of activities, as living, entertaining, or manufacturing. 2.anything built or constructed.

** From Dictionary.com

Gee that didn't answer the question at all...lol.

Well I don't work for 60 but to me a poss. structure fire is when a caller says they see fire or smoke showing from the outside. Or they might say the hall is filled with smoke, or there is smoke coming from the door down the hall, etc...

An inside investigation is when they say I think a smell something in my house, office, etc... and they think it might be smoke.

CAM502 as a Putnam 911 dispatcher your criteria is what I already go by. Unless there is visible heavy smoke or any fire, it is an inside smoke investigation to me.

I go with what the caller tells me...

"There's a house on fire!" gets put out as a possible house fire...

"I smell smoke inside my house..." gets put out as an inside smoke odor.....

"My stove is on fire!".....dispatched as a stove fire.....

it may not be the rigth answer but i would say--I would rather have too much on arrival then not enough. does a investigiation bring you less personel?? and i believe a "stove fire" falls into the "in on " area of a structure fire.

Say what it is. Don't interpret, and, never, ever embelish. Dispatch as per your SOG.

it may not be the rigth answer but i would say--I would rather have too much on arrival then not enough. does a investigiation bring you less personel?? and i believe a "stove fire" falls into the "in on " area of a structure fire.

If you remember filling out the old BFIRs a stove fire was considered a structure fire.

When in doubt, send them out.?

When in doubt, send them out.?

A stove fire, house fire, inside smoke, etc, all get the same first alarm on my job....

I dispatch it as it is given to me.

"Smoke from a structure."

"Inside odor of smoke."

"Smoke in a structure."

"Structure fire."

Because an odor of smoke could mean a fire, my department's policy is to send a full assignment, even on odors of gas. Many times a caller reports an odor of gas, and it turns out to be an odor of smoke (especially electrical burning).