Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

What Stethescope Works Best For You?

18 posts in this topic

I want to know what stethescope you're using, and why it works best for you?

Also, I want to know where you got it and if you got a bargain...there's so many places to buy from nowadays.

Littmann Cardiology III....Have had one since 1999 and have always loved it, very clear to hear and has the option of a smaller diaphragm for Peds.

Got it for a good price at the time at Stethoscopes.com

Edited by DOC22
made link live

Littman Master Classic II. My hearing blows and it has some of the best acoustics I've heard. The tunable bell is also a nice little convenience.

Ebay.

Edited by ny10570

I love my 2 tube no name brand scope. For $8, its a bargain and it works great. Stethoscopes are are really easy to lose so I didn't see the sense in paying a lot of money for one.

Scrubs at 263 North Road in Fairview has a variety or scopes at a very resonable price

everyone has there own like's and dislikes however I must agree with OoO. I have a chep scope my self and I have had no problems

Littmann Master Classic II since 2004

Thing just works. Bought it brand new in box off eBay, 80 bones. I never skimp on my personal gear.

In 13 years I have had 2 scopes. The first being an ADC that I think I paid about $15 for. I still have it and it works fine.

The second one is a Littman Classic 2 that was given to me by a friend. I spent $10 for new ear pieces. I can hear better with it and it is my primary. I use the ADC now as a backup, loaner, or keep it in my personal bag.

Littman Master Classic II for me as well.

I've banged the hell out of it over the last years and it doesn't look any the worse for wear.

Maybe its just me, I've never lost a stethoscope. It stays around my neck until I need it and then it goes right back.

Any cheap scope I can find in the rig has always worked for me...Ive never noticed a difference in acoustics or clarity between the expensive scopes or the $8 specials you find in any ems store. I usually end up using the scopes that come in the holsters with instruments you can buy....they work just fine and if you loose them you are only out $8.

Not sounding beat on your chest here...but if you ask most the higher the level of provider the more important the ability to hear clearly. 2 tube stethoscopes I disliked and still do for anything other then taking a BP because the tubes rub and you can hear it through it as well. When you trying to listen to sounds for diagnosis reasons you have to be able to hear.

I can't hear jack with the sprague rappaport or ones that sport that thin vinyl tubing. Like anything, it's a tool. If you use it every day its well worth spending a few extra bucks, within reason. At the B level you don't need a master cardiology...

Hope I didnt offend anyone with my post... :rolleyes:

I was just saying that in my 9 years as EMT, and 3 as Critical Care I always used the basic, cheap set of ears and was able to hear fine. I was even one to stay with the ER doc and nurse as they did their assessments to confirm that their lung sounds and mine matched. I was wrong some times, but arent we all! LOL

That, and I could never afford a Litman!!

Stay Safe

What Stethescope Works Best For You?

The one in my ears!! :P

For years I used a Littman Cardiology 2 (yes, I know it's not made anymore) with great success!

I've used all sorts of expensive Littmans, and ultimately settled on the Classic II. That being said, I found that the nicer the scope the more background noise I would hear in the back of the truck. The expensive Littman's pick up all sorts of noise. The cheap ola Sprauge seemed to hear BP's the best.

I also hated having the thing around my neck for a number of reasons...got in the way of the helmet, was something for someone to grab. I usually kept mine in a pocket or in the bag I was using for the day.

Rob

I was sold on a quality scope when I learned the value of heart sounds.

A lot of guys buy the cheap-o dual tube scopes and wrap the whole thing in tape. I can neither confirm nor deny its effectiveness.

On another note, I have an ADC Electronic Stethoscope. Complete waste of money. Its basically a Radio Shack microphone disguised as the stethoscope.

I hear good things about the Littman electronic though.