Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

Off topic: What is a weasel?

11 posts in this topic

The culture of firefighting as we know, means that most of us are always ready to help someone in need. If you're driving off duty in your personal vehicle and come across an accident, you'll more than likely stop and help......if need be. It's easy to assess from behind the wheel if your expertise might be required; severity of the crash, if no responding units are on scene, etc. We've all come across accidents or drivers in need of some assistance at one time or another. I bet everybody on here has helped somebody out on the road; many have helped out numerous times. It's one of those things we do that usually never gets recognized. Most of the time if you helped someone while off-duty, you don't even mention it back at work. It's just doing the right thing.

Occasionally an off duty member does something really heroic, and they are rightfully recognized for it, maybe even given a well deserved citation for their actions. (read: Joey Ibo and the Bronx River rescue)

Okay, so i'm a retired guy. And what do retired guys do? Some play golf, some play poker, some read the newspaper. Me? Like many other retired firefighters, I ride a Harley. The culture of Harley Davidson, and motorcycling is similar to that of firefighting. It's a brotherhood. Most bikers make an effort to stop and help out another biker who may be broken down on the side of the road, or maybe done run out of gas.

Well last night was simply spectacular weather for riding, so off I went around midnight. These days I'm in Myrtle Beach S.C. GREAT TOWN, NICE PEOPLE, what can I say. I'm enamored with Southern culture, and find myself just grateful to be here. Anyway I'm riding through the night, and couldn't care less about the time; remember the old saying about being retired and having no clock....it's true! So after cruising the "Boulevard" I head up the Kings Highway.

This is where the story gets a bit humorous. Riding along I pass this guy pushing a HUGE Chopper up the sidwalk. I think it was a Borgette, or maybe a Texas Chopper. So, my instincts take over and I turn around to see if I can offer the brother some assistance. He tells me he's run out of gas. Bad spot to be in; the nearest gas station is a good mile up the Kings Highway. I offer to go and try to get a gas can and a gallon of gas for him. Impression: He was a bit of an oddball :blink: , but was so happy I stopped and said he had money and would pay me for anything I laid out, he's so grateful, blah blah.

So, up to the gas station I go. I find I have to buy a plastic gas can for six bucks and put in a gallon for a gazillion bucks; grand total was like $10.21. Now comes the tricky part; how do I secure or carry this gas can? :mellow: Hmmm......

The gas station guy suggests I hold it on the seat between my legs. Well....not sounding too safe here.....let me see what if feels like....and with that the gas starts leaking out from under the cap. (for six bucks you get a can with a defective gasket of course) I manage to get it away from the bike so it doesn't leak onto the paint. But I have a nice gasoline stain on my pants now, and the can is covered in leaked gas. So I pull a rag out of the saddle bag, clean up the can, try to get the cap secured....it's starting to feel like a comedy at this point. BUT...... I am determined. The best way I can come up with to ride back is to hold the can in my right hand (accelerator hand) and I can still twist the accelerator. I think this will work, so off I go to rescue my brother biker....... gas can blowing in the wind.

I drive the mile or so and get close enough to the spot where he was sitting just in time to see his headlight go on and hear that tricked out 111 inch K&N hot rod motor roar to life. (Did someone else stop and give him gas? Was it another problem that he solved? Did the gas-valve have a reserve position, I'll never know) I can see him kinda eyeball me, and with that.................... he takes off down the road! And really nails it, I mean this guy flew out of there. I watch his taillights grow smaller as he pulls away......I'm a little bewildered, then it hits me; "hey you #*&@ what am I carrying here for you?!!" So... the heck with this....I speed up to try and catch up to this guy and.........I dunno, give him his gas. Now I'm getting a bit peeved. The guy is actually RUNNING from me! I look down at the speedometer and I'm doing like 65 mph holding a freaking, leaking gas can. Nice. Soon I get caught in the traffic lights and he zooms out of sight beating all the lights. He was doing probably 80 mph.

Well thinking I gave up, and he is "safe", Mr. Oddball Chopper wheels it into a gas station and pulls up to the pumps (probably with a smug look on his face). I get a run of green lights and spot him in the gas station......I pull in and roll right up next to him with the dripping gas can. He looks up and kinda goes pale when he sees me and literally starts babbling, "Bah beh bah bah".... so I say "are you kidding? I have to do 65 miles an hour to catch up to you holding this?..." and with that I put the can down next to him on the pavement.

I crack the Harley into gear......his babbling has not even turned into weasel excuses. I slowly pull away with indignation (and by the way keep your money oddball) throwing in a parting shot.... "cost me ten bucks man and I got drenched with gas. And you pull this garbage? Then I shook my head and rode away.

I noticed one last item; his licence plate.....drum roll please................EHHHH NEW YORK. My hometown homeboy! <_<

The way I figure it, another thirty seconds later, he would have been clean gone. That's what he was obviously trying for right? To leave me holding the can! LOL

And that my friends is a true example of a road weasel!

PS: It did cross my mind that maybe he had stolen it, but if you saw this guy you'd know in two seconds that was improbable. Just a weasel, nothing more....haha

~Stay safe ya'll and keep the faith

George

thats just a scumbag... anyone else would have been most greatful..

George,

You seem to like to write. I have enjoyed your little essays and stories about the job. What I can't understand is why when Eastchester F.D. and New Rochelle F.D. had duel responses to the HRP, you always turfed the BIFR of to Eng-23. Most of those calls in your estimation were in NRFD's area of the HRP. Well I checked they were EFD's. You owe me a cold one, or two.

Enjoy your retirement,

Marc

George,

You seem to like to write. I have enjoyed your little essays and stories about the job. What I can't understand is why when Eastchester F.D. and New Rochelle F.D. had duel responses to the HRP, you always turfed the BIFR of to Eng-23. Most of those calls in your estimation were in NRFD's area of the HRP. Well I checked they were EFD's. You owe me a cold one, or two.

Enjoy your retirement,

Marc

Marc my dear brother, I guess you could say "I BE BUSTED". Hey I didn't know you packed it in. Congrats to you. I'll look you up when I be back in "the hood" and pay you off with as many cold ones as you like to keep quiet about this very minor paperwork discrepency......haha :P

~Best to ya

Well you did the right thing... not everybody can be grateful

You did the right thing. This guy was a schmuck.

Hey George... Federico wants to know if he can have that gas can if you're done with it for his lawn business?

Hey George... Federico wants to know if he can have that gas can if you're done with it for his lawn business?

Hey isn't Sunday what is FEDERICO doing at work?

He actually called in SICK, he just stopped in to pick up his check and to make Gravy. ( The pork... yeah that's the flavor)

WHAT AN UNGREATFULL PIECE OF SH.. ;)

The nice guy always gets screwed!