Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Calling "Patient Contact"

19 posts in this topic

I was wondering if there are any agencies that (after calling on scene), note and call patient contact.

As some of us know, there's often a big difference in arrival time and patient contact time, and I'm wondering if any agencies track that.

I was wondering if there are any agencies that (after calling on scene), note and call patient contact.

As some of us know, there's often a big difference in arrival time and patient contact time, and I'm wondering if any agencies track that.

not in putnam we call the 911 dispatcher on scene/location my patient contact is only estimated by my first set of vitals on my pcr

When I worked at GPD the dispatchers would record the starting and ending milage of ANY female patient if a female EMT/medic/PO was not in the vehicle.

My university agency (binghamton) tends to call pt contact time into dispatch whenever we have a particularly extended time between arriving on-scene and making pt contact. ie pt is on 5th story of dorm, or unable to find pt at first. Also in these situations when we call on scene we will usually advise dispatch that we plan to separately call contact so the dispatcher is aware of our status in the building.

Contact time is usually then noted in the narrative of the PCR.

-R

we have a standard policy at my agency that if the difference between arrival time and pt contact time are greater then 4 min pt contact time is to be noted on the pcr in the narrative.

Last time I heard, Empress calls onscene and pt contact.

That's always been one of those age old questions...what is a response time actually?

For the most part, unless there are some circumstances that will delay what is a normal accepted amount of time to go from vehicle to patient I won't notify dispatch. Otherwise as I said there is some normal progression that takes place on every call.

City of Baltimore MD has done that for years , On scene Time , then "with the patient" is called over radio.

I have noted the arrival time of the medic on the PCR.

FDNY, we always have to document time of pt contact and even have a series of check boxes to document reasons for delay to pt contact. One of the things being looked at in the CPR study being conducted is the time to pt contact and factors affecting it.

Last time I heard, Empress calls onscene and pt contact.

NEGATIVE K

There's no policy, just plenty of people using common sense. If one goes to an appartment and can't get in we'll request assistance [PD/FD to force a door]. Then in the meantime someone will let us in so we'll let the dispatchers know, such that they can cancell whoever we requested.

Also appropriate in strange situations where it is unclear if there even is a patient as well as MVA's so that an early report can be given as to HOW MANY patients there are.

WE DO, however have to document a pt contact time on the PCR. [our computer program has a field for that info]

AND... OH YEAH! MANY NAMELESS INDIVIDUALS LIKE TO HEAR THEMSELVES TALK ON THE RADIO ;)

In my dept we cover a few campuses that once you get to the campus it could be another 4-5 mins before you actually get to the PT. So when we go to this places I call "on the grounds" and then with the portable I call "out with the pt" I don't know why but it just seem like thats how it should be done.

Also appropriate in strange situations where it is unclear if there even is a patient as well as MVA's so that an early report can be given as to HOW MANY patients there are.

WE DO, however have to document a pt contact time on the PCR. [our computer program has a field for that info]

AND... OH YEAH! MANY NAMELESS INDIVIDUALS LIKE TO HEAR THEMSELVES TALK ON THE RADIO ;)

Excellent point brother. Get a grip on how many patients and get your resources in order early. Nothing worse then hearing or coming to an incident where its the ambulance parade 1 at a time for 10 minutes.

People like to hear themselves on the radio? NOOOOOO way. hehe. If you look north of you you can probably see the smoke on one of the repeaters near me. I can't say his name it would be rude...but I hear if you want a favorable weather report with a radar summary he's the one to call! lol. Shhhhh for those of you who know who I'm talking about. Your still my boy though BGM!

People who like to talk on the radio?????? In Westchester??? Never happen. Everybody gets right to the point of the message.

I don't know if we have a policy on the matter, but I think it's a matter of common sense. If you get hauled into court, they could estimate patient contact time by walking from the place you park your bus to the actual patient. If there is any kind of delay, such as need for forcible entry/extrication, need for the scene to be secured by PD, or any sort of misdirection, I will notify dispatch of the problem. Dispatchers are supposed to enter this information in the "trip notes" for a call, but I couldn't tell you if it always happens.

http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopi...patient+contact

In this topic, patient contact time was discussed as opposed to just on scene time. If anyone knows of an article in a magazine or other publication talking about this topic, please post it here. Even if it is in an SOG, a scanned page of that will do. Just something to say other depts have this in their protocol.

Lenox Hill Hospital EMS tracks the on scene time and the patient contact time on its E-PCR.

Neither f my jobs have a standard practice of noting patient contact time, but as mentioned previously, if we have an extended time from "on scene" (quite the misnomer) and "patient contact" then I will let dispatch (60 Control in both cases) know that and note the delay on the PCR with a reason.

Some reasons I can think of why we might be delayed to the patient:

-Correctional facilities - getting through the security gates and checkpoints.

-Wilderness rescues - time actually getting TO the patient can be extensive.

-Apartment buildings - elevator might be out or not have one in the first place.

-Forced entries - need to call in resources to get to a patient who is disabled or barricaded.

-Scene safety - might be unsafe for the crew to access the patient - Hazmat, leaky fuel tanks, etc