Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INIT915

Video: Cop Bodycheck Bicyclist

20 posts in this topic

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07272008/news/...list_121984.htm

A rookie cop - the son of a highly respected New York City detective - has been stripped of his badge and gun after being caught on video viciously attacking a bicyclist who was part of a Times Square demonstration.

The startling YouTube video shows Officer Patrick Pogan, 22, apparently set his sights on - and then tackle - a bicyclist as he peddled along Seventh Avenue as part of last Friday's controversial Critical Mass ride.

I got a lot of cop friends and almost always have to give them the benefit of doubt, but that video is so damn far from his statement as excerpted by the paper. What an maroon.

I watched the video numerous times with other cops and we considered a variety of reasons for the tackle, none of which were legitimate.

Maybe something happened off camera? Maybe it was..........

post-6632-1217547037.gif

Very funny video!!!! I hope the cop doesnt lose his JOB! Everyone deserves a 2nd chance!

Very funny video!!!! I hope the cop doesnt lose his JOB! Everyone deserves a 2nd chance!

Generally I agree, but this kid is 3 weeks out of the academy and pulling this stunt? I have no sympathy.

It was a scene right out of Waterboy.. Just wonder what kind of tack'lin fuel he needed.

It would have been funny if he did the Shawne Merriman Lights Out dance after he pushed him down. There really wasn't any reason for him to do that unless like said before something happened off screen.

Edited by texastom791

Granted it looks pretty bad and the officer's description seems to be contradicted by the video, but I'm reserving judgement. There's another set of videos out there that shows a police involved shooting - one video paints a pretty bleak picture and appears to be completely unjustified but when you see the other video you see the suspect firing a weapon at police right before he's shot.

While I'm not suggesting that's the case here, one video does not a conviction make.

The pinko on the bike sees the cop walking across the street, and doesn't even attempt to go around him or slow down. It was a challenge and he lost. Granted I'm no cop but if you physically threaten me, you're gonna pay the price. I would have done the exact same thing.

On a side note, "Critical Mass", is an anarchist group. They view everyone in the emergency services and military as the enemy and would not hesitate to jam any of us up in a second. I have no sympathy for this anti american, trust fund d-bag.

i just watched it a couple times, im not going to say who was right in this whole thing as you cant really tell with the little bit of video that their is. But watching the cyclist vier to left and drop his shoulder kinda made me think he knew what was going to happen, or maby he intended for it to happen.

OK, LET'S GO TO THE VIDEO TAPE! :D

I see the NYPD Police Officer standing in the middle of the roadway with his partner.

The PO appears to move slow as the Bicycle approaches, The PO then seems

walk quicker right into the path of the Bicycle.

It also appears that the Bicyclist is clearly steering AWAY from the Police Officer to the far left.

Pay close attention to the Slow Motion!

The video does have audio, I was thinking maybe the guy on the bike yelled

something to the PO "Hey $#@&"! but it does not sound that way.

Something to consider:

- Did the PO see the Bicyclist do something seconds before that the Camera DIDN'T

pick up?

- Did the Bicyclist just try to run someone over? Hit another PO?

- Did the PO get a call over the Radio "Hey, Grab Him"

If so, were his actions JUSTIFIED?

Who knows... I do know this... 3 weeks or 10 years out of the Police Academy and do

something like this you better have a damn good explaination!

You can be real good with a pen and paper but when you have Video.. HMMMMMMM

After taking a close look at the video I would have to agree with INIT915!

I doubt this cop just picked this individual on the bike to take retribution on . You know this A hole was doing something off camera on his way up the block. During the RNC they had one night where the bicycle brigade converged on Manhattan. I would have liked to taken a club to them like they were seals. So I can understand this guys situation. Don't always believe what the media feeds you. They load the news to sell it.

OK, LET'S GO TO THE VIDEO TAPE! :D

I see the NYPD Police Officer standing in the middle of the roadway with his partner.

The PO appears to move slow as the Bicycle approaches, The PO then seems

walk quicker right into the path of the Bicycle.

It also appears that the Bicyclist is clearly steering AWAY from the Police Officer to the far left.

Pay close attention to the Slow Motion!

The video does have audio, I was thinking maybe the guy on the bike yelled

something to the PO "Hey $#@&"! but it does not sound that way.

Something to consider:

- Did the PO see the Bicyclist do something seconds before that the Camera DIDN'T

pick up?

- Did the Bicyclist just try to run someone over? Hit another PO?

- Did the PO get a call over the Radio "Hey, Grab Him"

If so, were his actions JUSTIFIED?

Who knows... I do know this... 3 weeks or 10 years out of the Police Academy and do

something like this you better have a damn good explaination!

You can be real good with a pen and paper but when you have Video.. HMMMMMMM

After taking a close look at the video I would have to agree with INIT915!

On review of the tape I can see the guy steered his bike into the officers path of travel. It looks to me like he was challenging the officer. Any self respecting person on a bike upon seeing a uniformed PO crossing the street would either slow up or cut behind the officer as to avoid a collision. The guy was either challenging the officer to escalate the situation or he is completely braindead. Either way I see the officer acted in self defense to avoid injury to himself.

Either way I see the officer acted in self defense to avoid injury to himself.

HUH? are we all watching the same clip?

The way I see it, the biker had no choice but to maneuver left to avoid the cop, who was originally standing in the center of the road and came over into HIS lane of travel, where he then slammed on him.

HUH? are we all watching the same clip?

The way I see it, the biker had no choice but to maneuver left to avoid the cop, who was originally standing in the center of the road and came over into HIS lane of travel, where he then slammed on him.

So his bike doesn't have brakes?

You invade my personal space or invade my path of travel on a bike when I'm on foot, you better believe I'm gonna do what I gotta do to knock a guy into next week. If the PO had been Joe Schmo walking across the street with his 5 year old daughter everybody here would applauding his actions.

Do a little research, these perps in Critical Mass are anarchists that arm themselves with video cameras and deliberately try to lure officers into use of force incidents.

I see the cop going towards the bike.. I mean that is apparent. Wether or not this guy had words or did something before the incident is another story. But regardless the cop could have pulled him off the bike or stepped to the side.. Instead he speared him, in front of a crowd and got caught on camera. I think this group of riders are complete morons, but I can see a lawsuit against the PD.

Although I hate to do it, I am going to agree with weasel on this one. The Bicyclist should've yielded to the pedestrian in the roadway. The officer albeit was there first and the bicyclist should have ceased his forward movement! He not only should have been knocked to the pavement, but summonsed for not yielding to the pedestrian in the roadway. It is not like the officer came out from nowhere! He was there the whole time!!!!!! Critical Mass believes they do not have to obey the regular rules of the road! Too bad!

I don't know much about this group, since I don't work in the city.

What I do know is we're supposed to be better then them. We shouldn't sink to their level.

I feel judgement should wait untill the facts are presented. Being the guy on the bike was not wearing a helmet could it be the officer ordered him to stop and he refused?

Do a little research, these perps in Critical Mass are anarchists that arm themselves with video cameras and deliberately try to lure officers into use of force incidents.

For example