Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Hudson Valley Paramedics?

76 posts in this topic

The faces change the name changes. They fire everybody and move in inexperienced people who will work for less just to be called Captain. Nothing will change. Everybody will know it is just Empire by another name.

Its like putting lipstick on a pig.

Its like putting lipstick on a pig.

Totally didn't need to see a Rep. or Sen. from Congress in lipstick, but some are women anyway. :lol::rolleyes:

Mike

Good to see Joel back in the swing of things....he was a great DO of Sloper and i'd work for him any day.

Not for nothing, but anyone who mistakes the new Hudson Valley Paramedics for the old Empire, Ive got a bridge to sell you. Since the new management team came into place they've cleaned house of all the lets say "less talented" employees of Empire. On top of that they've bought brand new vehicles and uniforms, built new buildings, initiated more comprehensive bene's, taken an active role in recruitment/retention and more... in fact I can say Ive seen more take place in these past 2 months than my first 2.5 years at this company (Putnam County Vollie working Medic 4 EMT shifts... my excuse for working for Empire B) ) The fact of the matter is that under Mike and Joel I can actually say Im proud to work for my company and Im proud of the direction that it is heading. Mike left a cush situation at Regional for the challenge of turning a company with severe management issues amongst other problems into gold and I must say he's doing a fine job thus far. Give HVP a chance... call us HPV if you want (road staff is already enjoying the VD reference :lol: ) but don't count us out... HVP is completely 180 degrees from the old Empire and I expect nothing but great things in the future for us.

IS Joel still on the job in Beacon or did he leave for the big chair at Empire/HVPS?

I will vouch for Mike Witkowski. He is a standup guy. When my VAC changed from MLSS to Regional EMS for paid staff and ALS services, Mike was the main person that we dealt with. He made sure that our the change over was smooth and painless. Once on board, he did not just say "now that we got this contract, we dont have to do anymore work here", up until the time he left Regional EMS, he was still there making sure everything was going well

Not for nothing, but anyone who mistakes the new Hudson Valley Paramedics for the old Empire, Ive got a bridge to sell you. Since the new management team came into place they've cleaned house of all the lets say "less talented" employees of Empire. On top of that they've bought brand new vehicles and uniforms, built new buildings, initiated more comprehensive bene's, taken an active role in recruitment/retention and more.

I know when I was there, there were a lot of "less talented" people. Mostly due to the fact that they would hire EMT's that got their card that morning. Not that that was necessarily a bad thing. How are people ever going to learn if they aren't given a chance? My problem was that they would take 2 brand new emt's put 'em in an ambulance that was bigger than anything they ever drove before and send them off to an unfamiliar area. No training. No direct supervision. They would hire "drivers". 18 y/o with a license just to drive the ambulance with an emt. No training. Just, "oh, you have a license? You can drive this ambulance."

Like I said before, if they have actually turned things around that much, I might consider going back.

Edited by 50-65

What contracts in Dutchess does HVP have? I see them going code 3 up and down Rt. 9 all the time.

What contracts in Dutchess does HVP have? I see them going code 3 up and down Rt. 9 all the time.

You should see them down in Westchester. It seems to me that 90%+ of the calls at Bethel-Croton must be "real" emergencies!

I don't know what contracts they have in Dutchess. They used to do the NH on 52 in Fishkill. Maybe Avalon on 376? Occaissionally I got a call to some of the Poughkeepsie homes. If some things haven't changed, maybe they are responding to Hyde Park from base.

As far as "real" emergencies at various NH's, most of them aren't, but you never know until you get there. I had some that had whatever condition the staff decided they needed to go to the hospital for NOW for days. Other times you would get the call to transport to the hospital for "abnormal labs" (the results of which were in the pt's file for a week) only to find the pt with fever,dehydration, ams, etc,etc.

I know Mike from his days at HVA There are none better. If anyone can make this work He can.

Good luck!

Ned.

You should see them down in Westchester. It seems to me that 90%+ of the calls at Bethel-Croton must be "real" emergencies!

Yeah I know Bethel calls 911 for the simple transport and they must call Empire/HVP for the Reall stuff because Majority of the time I go there it is BS and can be handled by Transport but Dispatchers always give a 3 hour wait for the BS call and if they call back from another wing in Bethel and say some thing that sounds good they will be there in 5 mins and 911 will cover the non emergency. Suprise Suprise!!!!!

I saw one of the new HVP busses yesterday in Wendy's in Fishkill. Nice looking new Ford type II. The lettering looked like it was done by a 12 year old, but otherwise, very nice looking bus. I hope we'll go back to the Fords soon; I can't stand the Chevys.

How about a little "truth in advertising". Maybe the correct name should be "Hudson Valley EMT Services"? They are already working with one strike against them.

Yeah I know Bethel calls 911 for the simple transport and they must call Empire/HVP for the Reall stuff because Majority of the time I go there it is BS and can be handled by Transport but Dispatchers always give a 3 hour wait for the BS call and if they call back from another wing in Bethel and say some thing that sounds good they will be there in 5 mins and 911 will cover the non emergency. Suprise Suprise!!!!!

I was more referring to the frequent reckless response via Route 9A through Buchanan, Montrose and Croton when they're responding to Bethel. The suggestion that all those runs were emergencies was sarcasim (which is hard to convey here!)

I can only speak of my experience when I worked for them 1.5 yrs ago. If dispatch tells you to go PRIORITY (Lights/Siren) to somewhere, we did it.

Personally I never understood the purpose, of going from Kingston to Poughkeepsie lights and siren for a basic transport (45 min travel time), in some cases the patient could have walked to the ER quicker, the NH was that close to Vassar.

The crew follows the direction of the dispatcher (even if you think it is crazy). I am open to seeing the new management make it thier own. If I see some improvement I might look for a couple of shifts.

Personally I never understood the purpose, of going from Kingston to Poughkeepsie lights and siren for a basic transport (45 min travel time), in some cases the patient could have walked to the ER quicker, the NH was that close to Vassar.

It took you 45 minutes to travel the 16 miles between Kingston and Poughkeepsie? I did Newburgh to Kingston at a nice leisurely code 1 pace in 30 minutes the other day, and that was on 9W, not the T-Way.

30 or 45 it wasn't my point.. Why send a vehicle Lights/Siren, you are risking the crew, possibly the patient, and all the others on the road.

I think any agency would be hard pressed to explain after an accident why they were going lights/Siren for a simple transport..

Unfortunately, most paid services don't want to decline jobs if a crew is not within a reasonable distance or can't get there in a short period of time.

I can only speak of my experience when I worked for them 1.5 yrs ago. If dispatch tells you to go PRIORITY (Lights/Siren) to somewhere, we did it.

The crew follows the direction of the dispatcher (even if you think it is crazy). I am open to seeing the new management make it thier own. If I see some improvement I might look for a couple of shifts.

Then the management and the dispatcher can sit with you at the defendants table when your called on the carpet in a civil trial.

30 or 45 it wasn't my point.. Why send a vehicle Lights/Siren, you are risking the crew, possibly the patient, and all the others on the road.

I think any agency would be hard pressed to explain after an accident why they were going lights/Siren for a simple transport..

Unfortunately, most paid services don't want to decline jobs if a crew is not within a reasonable distance or can't get there in a short period of time.

I know what your point was, I was just razzing you a bit. Our dispatch does something novel with direct calls from skilled facilities (and a few unskilled ones). They ask the facility whether they want the crew to respond lights and sirens. Generally, the nursing staff will say no unless it's a true emergency, where the EMD information may warrant a different response. If I'm going to ABC nursing home for difficulty breathing, EMD is always going to place that in a code-3 response. However, the nurse might know that he has pneumonia and has been a bit short of breath for 3 days, which would not require the same response.

As far as response in a reasonable amount of time, I'd think the same rule would follow. If I'm paid service X and I know the closest unit I have to respond to a facility is 25-30 minutes away, why not advise them of that? If they say that they really think the patient needs to go sooner, then offer to get a closer resource for them and turn the call over. If the delayed response is the exception rather than the rule, your facilities will understand and you won't lose your contracts, so long as you don't lie to them, send inappropriate level units, etc. etc.

915 Oh I am sure you sat on the side of the road and observed every time that they went by. How may times was that? Then shame on you for not being proactive and doing something about it. As well shame on them if they where not using do regard. Mike will not put up with BS. The saying is see something wrong say something, hmmm. I kow he would put a stop to it. For the crews, you actually know what they had or where going to?

915 Oh I am sure you sat on the side of the road and observed every time that they went by. How may times was that? Then shame on you for not being proactive and doing something about it. As well shame on them if they where not using do regard. Mike will not put up with BS. The saying is see something wrong say something, hmmm. I kow he would put a stop to it. For the crews, you actually know what they had or where going to?

Funny enough, I have literally sat on all of the roads that lead to this facility. :P

RWC130 can vouch for me on that one!

Hmm, like I said.

Look I am not going to keep this as you said I said. I have been on both sides. If you feel they have acted without do regard then you should of done something about it. That is the only way it will get the issue fixed or find out that the job they or I was going to was real.

Hey have a great day!

Tom O

Quote from RWC130 on 8/1/08 @ 03:02

"Correct me if I am wrong? I don't think Patient Care

has ever been compromised during the up's and down's"

Have you been on any calls in Putnam County? How about a 35 y/o male cardiac arrest that the "paramedic" didn't want/or feel intubation was indicated? And do you want to know what happened to that particular medic? They made him a SUPERVISOR! So I have absolute faith in this company!

Edited by FD828

FD828,

I dont know the call or even heard about the call, but have you take ACLS recently? Was it a shockable? I have found alot of people that have formed ideas on the company or Medics based on information that you dont have. How about the Medics that have been taken out of the county for doing the right thing, following Medical Control. But the volunteers didnt want to do what the Medics asked or told them to do. Listen we could go on all night & I can give you calls on both sides. We have come down to a new team running the company. I know them and know that they dont put up with any BS from anyone. They run a tight ship and have made alot of good changes as well as gotten Medics back into the system that would run circles around us.

Why can't we all get along

I think we all need to remain objective here. I'm sure that everyone here could tell stories about this agency doing this and that agency doing that, but if we look in the mirror, every agency and probably every paramedic has had that call that just didn't go the way you would have wanted. Each and every interaction I've had with Empire State has been less than pleasant, but it at least sounds like they are making an effort to turn things around. If patients start getting the care they deserve with this change then we all come out winners in the end because our profession looks more professional.

INIT915,

Do you mean that Navy Blue Ford Crown Vic or Chevy Tahoe

with the Gold Lettering that says "STATE POLICE" ?

:D

post-3-1218009028.jpg

As Medic442 said:

shame on you for not being proactive and doing something about it.

I guess INIT915 needs to be "proactive" at roll call first thing in the morning and

let the nice guys and gals wearing the Stetsons know about this.

442 - you know empire trucks have been pulled over in the past, more than once for doing excessive speed through three counties going to a nursing home job. Not really sure why your busting stones.

Likewise, you know Putnam is a broken system. Until the County get's it's head out of it's a**, i think even Johnny and Roy would have a hard time finding success.

Medic442,

I have taken ACLS and know what it says. I am still working as a paramedic. But when patient care is in jeapordy..... even after explaining that the patient is blue with vomit in the airway and BLS ventilation isn't getting the job done, and the medic still doesn't think that intubation is needed, I have a problem. And the kicker.... after finally intubating the patient about a mile from the ER, we get pulses back. Now I am not saying that if he had taken care of the airway first that the outcome would have been different (pt later died... but did manage to donate organs) but he didn't even give the pt a chance. And I know that all the medics are not bad, I worked in Putnam at medic 4, I have worked with many of them and know that they are good at what they do.

I hope you are right though. I hope this new management team does the right thing, because me and my family still live in Putnam.

Quote from RWC130 on 8/1/08 @ 03:02

"Correct me if I am wrong? I don't think Patient Care

has ever been compromised during the up's and down's"

Have you been on any calls in Putnam County? How about a 35 y/o male cardiac arrest that the "paramedic" didn't want/or feel intubation was indicated? And do you want to know what happened to that particular medic? They made him a SUPERVISOR! So I have absolute faith in this company!

As far as I know we have no supervisors who have been promoted recently who worked in the field, that having been said if you feel patient care was grossly compromised (as your sttaement makes it sound) as a profesional you would have an ethical obligation to report this to some authority (either region or state).