Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Photounit

Structure Fire - Beekman Fire District - 141 Lime Ridge Rd. 8/2/08

21 posts in this topic

Beekman responded this structure fire at #141 Lime Ridge Rd. Assisting them was East Fishkill, La Grange, Pawling, and Unionvale.

343821471_6TtXF-L-1.jpg

343821712_mHQ8A-L-1.jpg

343821956_fkcua-L-1.jpg

I know there were others there with cameras before me...... If you have em, post em......

343822510_sPpnf-L-1.jpg

343822961_MQhUV-L-1.jpg

I spy myself in this bottom picture :P

Was that a car fire that lapped out to the siding?

I spy myself in this bottom picture :P

Let me guess, the kid looking straight at the camera? :lol:

Mike

Let me guess, the kid looking straight at the camera? :lol:

Mike

Both of the kids were :lol: . One on the left twas' me :unsure:

Was that a car fire that lapped out to the siding?

I don't even know for sure, I was working with the Water Shuttling most of the time, numerous things were tossed around, maybe struck by lightning (storm was going thru) or maybe a vehicle in the garage started it. Read the full incident report here

Here's a crappy cell phone pic i took outside the fire station, of 54-12 sittin in our station.

post-16085-1217721695.jpg

Edited by 34112

From the incident alert

12:35] Be advised I'm on location with a fully involved structure (Beekman 21)

Members giving updates need to paint an accurate picture of what they have. The term "Fully involved" is used too often and usually incorrectly. Working fire, yes, fully involved. no.

Edited by EJS1810

Well EJS, it depends on the context.

If they just say "Fully Involved" that means the WHOLE structure is on fire.

If they say "Side C Fully Involved" well, you get the idea.

Mike

NIce pics Bill...I was listening to this fire at home..I didnt realize it was such a job...

AND I SPY JONNY THOMPSON! :lol::wub:

A question....I know alot of the Beekman guys are members here, including the Chief. Was it not possible/feasable to deploy the ladder to the roof for ventilation? I only ask because we have it's twin and I want to know as much about scenarios WE may encounter for my knowledge.

NIce pics Bill...I was listening to this fire at home..I didnt realize it was such a job...

AND I SPY JONNY THOMPSON! :lol::wub:

A question....I know alot of the Beekman guys are members here, including the Chief. Was it not possible/feasable to deploy the ladder to the roof for ventilation? I only ask because we have it's twin and I want to know as much about scenarios WE may encounter for my knowledge.

Had 34-11 pulled up a little farther, they would have very easily been able to deploy the aerial, and had they backed in, they without a doubt could have deployed the ladder, although it would only have been able to hit the #2 side. The driveway did have many trees on both sides, as well as trees blocking aerial access from the roadway.

Since I do not want to use Bill's photos without permission, I will just link to a picture of a panorama of the scene.

http://fdphotounit.smugmug.com/gallery/560...343821674_aoUKq

The tree at the corner of the driveway at the 1/2 corner, as well as the compromised electrical wires were some of the big hazards on the scene.

just to clarify a few things here about the fire:

1) the words fully involved were never used. I happened to be the first one on the scene and reported a working garage fire and requested a 2nd alarm to the chief. we use our chain of command.

2) the fire rapidly spread through the garage due to a heavy fire load and spread up the B side and into the attic. The first 2 crews into the building stretched lines to the garage and to the 2nd floor and attacked the fire. the 2nd floor crew pulled ceilings and attacked the attic fire and saved 90% of the valuables (including 2 cats) the use f 34-11's stick could have been used if the fire had not self vented. we try and set it up as best as possible in case it does need to be used. and in more cases then not, we do use it.

3) just some things for people to keep in the back of their minds when encountering these fires: people store a ton of s**t in their garages. The home heating oil tank bleve'd, there were oxy-acetylene torches, propane tanks, keresene heaters, large capacity air compressor that were all impinged by the fire.

4) the last thing i have to say is that everyone there did an awesome job saving the homeowners things. they were very appreciative of the job we did and the things we saved. And people on here need to not jump on the bashing banwagon so soon. the original IA was posted by a 16 year old kid who has no firefighting experience what so ever. so things he posted were not totally accurate and can easily start negativity by some of the voltures on here.

Its not a bleve unless the tank contained a product that is a gas at STP. How many gallons were lost from that? That must have complicated things a tad!

My youtube firefighter strikes again! Lt. Mallen is right guys. 34112 is a 16 year old kid who has no fire experience and now has a bounty on his head.

The "fully involved" radio transmission was on the Beekman Fire Police frequency which isn't even monitored by the fire side. Most of the information posted in the IA is inaccurate, too much to even bother listing.

The stick was even't considered due to the heavy fire below where it would have met the roof. There was also unknown but partially visible damage to the roof from the lightning strike. The beginning of the driveway has a large tree and electric lines and the street frontage was all tall, thick pine trees.

On a positive note- Thank you to East Fishkill, UnionVale, LaGrange, Pawling, NDP EMS, DCFID, CC-12, CC-15 (yes you beat him again), DCSO and NYSP.

Edited by Beekman

Roofs Open- while I did not get to see the fuel tank, the Fire Investigation Division reportedly communicated that statement to Beekman Car 3. The 275 gallon tank did rupture and eventually dumped approximately 200 gallons of fuel in the garage which then went outside. When and how much it contributed to the fire is unknown.

The heaviest involvement was in the one garage bay where a propane tank, large air compressor, oxy-acetelene unit, kerosene heater, pails of something and the 275 gallon tank were. Lots of stuff screaming during the fire. Thankfully no one was hurt including the two cats.

Forgot to add, excellent reply to the Monday morning QB's!

Forgot to add, excellent reply to the Monday morning QB's!

I was not Monday Morning QBing on my original post. I have been in the emergency services for 30 years and have been in communications for 12. I will reiterate what I posted:

Members giving updates need to paint an accurate picture of what they have. The term "Fully involved" is used too often and usually incorrectly. Working fire, yes, fully involved. no.

Based on the IA and the pictures I offered my opinion. It was not a bash or MMQB

post-663-1217876232.jpg

This is why the aerial wasn't deployed. The B side just before 34-11 (Quint) arrived.

Thanks for the info Sean and Rob.

Did those wires ever let loose?

Good stop considering fire volume on arrival.

Thanks for the info Sean and Rob.

Did those wires ever let loose?

Good stop considering fire volume on arrival.

thanks Dan. The wires never came off the building. NYSEG actually showed up after the fire was out and cut them down off the pole. I commend all of the first arriving units on an aggressive attack. we had a plan right off the bat and were able to stop the fire from spreading to the living areas of the home and saved most of the valuables, except the 100th anniversery Harley that turned into a fireball in the garage.

Well EJS, it depends on the context.

If they just say "Fully Involved" that means the WHOLE structure is on fire.

If they say "Side C Fully Involved" well, you get the idea.

Mike

My question to this is, why utter the words "fully involved" in any context unless it is actually FULLY involved? Why not just say "Number 3 side is involved", or "Fire showing from the Number 3 side"?

The words "fully involved" were uttered by a Fire Police on a Fire Police frequency (Beekman Fire District, not County). Like I said, we don't even monitor their channel. I couldn't even tell you the level of fire training the person has because I don't even know who it was, nor was it a factor. I had a well seasoned Lt. on the scene scoping out the house and planning the atack. Any of the transmissions that are followed by "Beekman 21" are on the Beekman Fire Police Channel.

As for the wires, Beekman and East Fishkill personnel did a good job of taping off the area under the wires as there was a fear that the wires would drop down. NYSEG was delayed as they got slammed by the storm that also caused this fire. A NYSEG supervisor came and pulled a fuse on a pole until one of the NYSEG trucks could come and cut the wires at the pole.