Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xfirefighter484x

Why it is important to check your apparatus periodically

16 posts in this topic

Ensuring that nothing impedes the latching mechanisms of doors.

I "found" the following on ScanCT today. Happens to be an "unnamed" :P member of this board who felt the desire to "customize" their engine. Apparently, an item was blocking the latching mechanism, and upon leaving the bay, the door swung open while the apparatus was in motion.

What's missing??

NorotonE32-a.jpg

Ohhh, the door!!

NorotonE32-b.jpg

Story reposted with permission from http://scanct.com

Photo credit to Tom Alessi

Once an appliance in our state had a locker door swing open which clipped a cyclist in the back of the head, no harm was done but there was a few quick apologies and on their way again.

Some may remember that Millwood HQ used to have 4 single bays not the current 2 singles and the jumbo.... The same incident happened in the early 1980's when the old E-248 (1982 Kenworth/E-One) the twin to TS-2 (current E-245) was pulled out of the bay with a similar above-the-wheel compartment open.

Needless to say the E-One construction was awesome (at the time) and the center column of the two right hand bays was pulled down.....Which is why there is a jumbo bay in it's place today...

Edited by mfc2257

I beileve the same thing happened to R18 in Croton back when it was being stored at the Washington Engine Firehouse in the mid 90's. (When the truck was too big to fit in the Rescue's quarters.)

A big advantage of roll-up doors!

Edited by x648eng119

Im pretty sure one of the chiefs at verplanck had this happen to them awhile back! Think the ladder rack was left down while in the bay B):wacko:

Edited by HCFRFF

Im pretty sure one of the chiefs at verplanck had this happen to them awhile back! Think the ladder rack was left down while in the bay B):wacko:

Ouch, that sounds expensive....

A few years back, Larchmont was working at an EMS call at Palmer Ave and Chatsworth Ave. A person had a seizure in a car at the intersection, and LFD had to make entry into the car due to the doors being locked and the person was unresponsive. The engine was parallel to the scene with traffic moving between the car and the engine. Because they had to use the slim jim, the drivers side rear upper doors of the engine were open. The doors were up, parallel to the street, along comes an oil delivery truck. The driver was more concerned of the EMS ops going on in the middle of the road, so he hugged the right side and the open doors on the engine were hit by the tank part of the oil truck. 2 doors now lay in the street. They were lucky it was an oil delivery truck and not a school bus that hit the open doors.

Edited by LTNRFD

Mfc2257: I don't think it was so much the truck door that took out the center pillar as much as it was the truck backing in itself. But there was a door incident at the factory for the new E247.

Also similar incident at least one time for an Ossining engine going to a structure fire off Main Street.

To make sure that it is still there and not given to the local truck / scrap dealer :P

Mfc2257: I don't think it was so much the truck door that took out the center pillar as much as it was the truck backing in itself. But there was a door incident at the factory for the new E247.

Also similar incident at least one time for an Ossining engine going to a structure fire off Main Street.

COMMANDCHIEF

Maybe I've got my stories mixed.... I thought the E-248 incident (well before my time) was a result of the rig pulling out with the compartment open and the column coming down that split the bays....

The backing incident well..... The only one that I can recall (not that it's very hard) was when the original wooden jumbo door that replaced the two that E-248 took out got hung up out of mirror view and I (thats right ME) backed into it with the turntable of TS-2 (E-245).... Hence the new composit material jumbo door that is on there now and the new strobes in place of the rotators on the back of TS-2. That was 12 years ago which means that E-248 taking out the bay would have been AT LEAST 10 years before that.

We had an aerial get a call whilst there engine room door was closing so they just put the foot down and kept driveing through the bay and stuck the Ladder through the glass of the engine room door!!!

Twice in the valley. Rember when you get an air pack out of the compartment to get geared up on the way--close the door before you walk away!!! And second--make sure the people that tell you it is clear and you are good to go--are actually looking at the apparatus not each other before you pull out!!!

We had an aerial get a call whilst there engine room door was closing so they just put the foot down and kept driveing through the bay and stuck the Ladder through the glass of the engine room door!!!

They couldn't go to a manual control box and press the 'Up' or 'Stop button? :huh:

Mike

They couldn't go to a manual control box and press the 'Up' or 'Stop button? :huh:

Mike

They were coming through the back door when they got the call and saw the door was open and didn't notice it was going down till it was too late, bad timimg really.