Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
afd65

Requirments To Be A Dispatcher?

11 posts in this topic

I was just wondering what the requirments were to be dispatcher, for example 60 Control? Which test would you have to take, and is there an age or any other requirments?

I'm not sure of the age requirement, but FDNY has some pretty stringent standards. You have to have at least 2 years experience as a dispatcher for a police or fire department, a volunteer firefighter, EMT, or an air traffic controller. You have to be at least 18. You also have to establish residency in the 5 boroughs of NYC within 90 days of being hired. We're always looking for people.

I think the minimum age is 18 here in the county. That is for FD dispatcher or PD. The FD dispatcher is "Public Safety" dispatcher and there is a test for PD dispatcher. Two diffrent titles. You will also require a typing test. That is a second portion of the exam given at a diffrent time than the written.

Just a quick note. We hired another class and they start Monday. I figure we'll be hiring again within the next few months.

Hmmm lets see:

1. a pulse

2. ability to sleep in an upright sitting position

3. voice (any speech impediment optional)

4. appetite

5. Urge to talk to ones self (this comes in handy when your aggravated at someone and talk or yell at your CAD screen)

6. One good saturday on the civil service exam.

7. Patience is good, its gets annoying hearing a phone ring and ring and ring and ring and ring and ring for longer then 2 mins.

8. The stark realization that Westchester's system is the most ridiculous in the state, and worse then some 3rd world countries.

JUST KIDDING GANG!! Better throw that in there before several friends try to kill me, won't answer me on the radio, read my articles and powerpoints and my embroidery prices go up. lol

You left off the ability to multi-task.

Drinking a coffee, while playing computer solitaire with our feet up and ear to the TV is quite taxing.

Just wait until I make my "Medic Requirements" forum.

Our new FC 1 will look like this!!! PDT_Armataz_53

LOL.

Finally when FC-1 comes in their may actually be a bigger apparatus in the county then E-134.

WHEN I WORKED THERE THEY SAT YOU IN A CHAIR AND TOLD YOU TO SAY 10-4. YOU SAID 10-4 AND THEY SAID,"WHEN CAN YOU START"? THE OTHER QUESTION WAS-HOW MANY NO-DOZE PILLS CAN YOU EAT BEFORE YOU FEEL LIKE YOU ARE HAVING A HEART ATTACK?BACK THEN YOU WORKED BY YOURSELF!

All right guys, I have subscribed to this thread and every time someone replies, my computer beeps. It's starting to interfere with the TV. It also keeps distracting me from my computer game.

Lets just say that it takes a lot to be a Dispatcher, no matter what training you have, no matter what classes you take, and no matter how much time you have on the job, the kid in the front seat of the engine with six months in the FD knows more then you will ever know and isn't afraid to tell you.

EJS1810 AKA 40-303

This is where you, like I said in my making life easier thread, politely put that kid in the cab in their place. Politely. If this fails, talk it over with that particular departments' chief or captain. Usually, I find that solves the problem.