Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mini Rescue/Engine

22 posts in this topic

Hello gentlemen and ladies,

*You'll have to excuse me for my wording as it may seem confusin.* I'm from a small rural town called Knowlton, in Warren County in NorthWest NJ and am a highly active member with the Fire Dept.. Our 2nd due engine is in need of dire replacement as it is nearing the end of its 20 year life span. We have determined it would be a completel waste of our money, just to fix the engine to working condition not including refurbing it to current NFPA standards. So we've determined that it needs replacement. I'm looking for a little input from you guys to find out what is out there and has been a proven good working mini rescue engine because that is what we would like to replace this engine with. We've looked at Pierces Mini Engine that they have and as well as Crimson's new Dakota Mini Engine because just last year we purchased an Engine from them and are fairly pleased with it.

Just to give you a little bit of what we are lookin for based on the call's we run and the area we run in.

Area covered - Approx 36 sq miles w/ steep hilly terrain in some areas

Including 8.8 miles of Interstate 80 East and West (MM 0 - MM 8.8)

40-60% of our calls are on I-80 (MVC's, Vehicle Fires, M/A etc.)

Some basic specs on the apparatus we're lookin for.

Price Tag - we can not afford more than 150-200 thousand dollars

No longer than 30 feet

Minimum 4 seats (inc driver) w/ minimum 2 pack seats

1000gpm pump w/ foam

500 gwt

4WD

Storage for basic Firefighting tools and all vehicle rescue tools (Hydraulic Pump, Hydraulic Tools, Res-Q-Jacks, Cribbing, Air Bags, Hi Lifts, Chains, Rope, Saw Zall's, Electric Generator, Lighting, Fire Extinguishers, Speedy Dry etc etc etc etc etc.......)

We currently run a Ford F-450 w/ a Reading Enclosed body that we built ourselves, that has all our Vehicle Rescue equipment on it. But it doesnt have any water except for a few extinguishers. I'm just lookin to hear about what you that may be similar and how much you like it, and if you have any pictures and info about it, it would be greatly appreciated.

A city near me runs this 2007 Ford F-550 Super Duty/Pierce as a first out engine.

Believe it or not, it carrys all the required NFPA equipment (ladders and hose included), PLUS a combi tool and EMS gear. It has SCBA for three firefighters, and carries 5 in the cab. It is CAFS and Class B foam system equipped. It also has a PTO generator.

One of the more unique feature is that the engine is driven by it's own dedicated diesel engine that's placed in the pump housing.

I don't fully understand why this setup was chosen nor do I particularly caree for the wheelbase, but from what I understand it does the job it's intended to do.

post-11-1218752125.jpg

post-11-1218752137.jpg

post-11-1218752445.jpg

It looks nice, but it also looks overloaded on that chassis

Chelsea (Dutchess County) has excellent Pierce commercial cab engines, tankers, and I think a rescue as well. Also, Grasslands fire brigade has a well-designed mini-pumper. Jim, can you post a few Chelsea pictures? As for your spec's, are you looking for something along the lines of a big utility or a smaller engine?

Also, Grasslands fire brigade has a well-designed mini-pumper

post-11-1218754941.jpg

post-11-1218754951.jpg

We get our apparatus from Gowans Knight in Watertown, Connecticut. We have great luck with everything they build, and highly recommend them. check out their link: Gowans Knight

We get our apparatus from Gowans Knight in Watertown, Connecticut. We have great luck with everything they build, and highly recommend them.

post-11-1218755787.jpg

Before I say anything, just realize that I'm attempting to help this user out. So don't make this become a bash fest

First off....chassis wise, how big of a cab do you need? Do you have mainly stick figures or big and brawny FFs? If you don't have stick figures, don't go with SMALL cab. 4 Brawny guys in turnout gear (well....3) plus whatever you want in a small cab is not going to leave much space, especially when it comes to leg room.

2nd, don't overload it. If you have a small chassis (i.e. F-450) you're not going to fit very much without being close to or at the max GVWR.

3rd, are you looking for small size engine like the one Seth posted photos of or are you looking for something a little bit bigger?

The apparatus world is full of options and potential mistakes.

Mike

This is what we have been lookin at from Crimson Fire Apparatus http://www.crimson-fire.com/crimson/produc..._Literature.pdf but hte problem we have with it is that the GMC 5500 chasis it is on has hydraulic brakes. And e believe that too be way too much weight on hydraulic brakes.

X635 that first one you posted is what we've heard about from Pierce and have been lookin into. (I myself have not really looked into the Pierces at all) the only problem I have with that is the body is too small and if it went bigger it probably would be too so we are tryin to find somethin with maybe a International 7400 series chasis or similar

mbendel36 we are lookin for a Class A engine with plenty of space for firefighting and vehicle rescue operations to be conducted out of a smaller truck. We know it is possibel because that is what the Crimson Dakota is designed for only it a has a few design flaws.

DOC22 thankyou I will check them out

Future Fireman - 1.) At least seats for 4 men. Like any volunteer company we have a variety of different sizes and ages of ppl in our company

3.) We're look for a commercial chasis preferably with a large enough body for storage of all the vehicle rescue equipment and firefighting epuipment to classify it as a Class A engine so if our main engine is out of service this would be our first due engine.

I should that in our 8.8 miles of interstate 2 miles of it is tight no shoulder lanes of traffic either direction in which we have to split the lanes to get up to accidents in that area so the truck needs to be smallish so we can fit easier through than with a large engine.

Also this engine would be first due for any vehicle fires on the interstate as well because of the traffic.

I think I answered everyones questions if I forgot any just speak up please and i'll answer them. And I GREATLY appreciate the input I'm getting from you all

Lake Carmel just got a rig like that

http://www.lcfd.com/trucks/1731.jpg

YA beat me to it. Soon as i saw what they wanted i was going straight for lake carmels website. Very nice truck, one of my favorite new ones around.

YA beat me to it. Soon as i saw what they wanted i was going straight for lake carmels website. Very nice truck, one of my favorite new ones around.

yea its nice i rode in it before

Yeah the only problem with it is that if you talk on the radio the truck comes out of pump we found that out during a tanker shuttle drill when we first got it it's a decent truck the one it's replacing was better IMO.

Edited by texastom791

post-954-1219861122.jpg

This is the most recent East Fishkill Fire District purchase, a 14’ Rescue Truck. Features include a Hale 250 GPM PTO driven fire pump mounted between the chassis frame rails, pump operator’s panel located inside a compartment, 500 gallon polypropylene water tank, front bumper extension with storage for 100’ of 1 3/4” pre-connected fire hose and storage for a pre-connected cutter and spreader, roll up compartment doors, roof top storage compartments, storage for 200’ of 1 3/4” pre-connected hose located on the roof, portable winch with connection points at front, rear and each side, Ziamatic swing out and down ladder mounted in the rear to gain access to the roof top, transverse compartment with storage for a stokes basket and a Little Giant 17’ ladder, oil dry hopper, Safety Vision rear vision camera with color monitor, Whelen LED warning light package, Onan 25kW hydraulic generator, Will-Burt Powerlite 6,000 watt light tower recess mounted in the roof of the body, compartment in hosebed to hold two 2 1/2” hard suction hoses and three pike poles. The chassis is an International 7400 4 x 4 with a Navistar 330 HP engine and an Allison automatic transmission.

East Fishkill is one of my favorite mini rescues

Yeah the only problem with it is that if you talk on the radio the truck comes out of pump we found that out during a tanker shuttle drill when we first got it it's a decent truck the one it's replacing was better IMO.

It does not "come out of pump".The radio frequency is somehow disturbing the engine electronics.

It does not "come out of pump".The radio frequency is somehow disturbing the engine electronics.

Oh okay I knew it did something that messsed with the truck.

thats a cool and beefy mini

Thanks She's my favorite