Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DR104

Fire at hydrogen fuel station in White Plains

12 posts in this topic

This is up there with a fire at a nitro glycerin plant, good job Brothers!

I know that this fire could have been really bad but roofsopen, I am sorry I am not sure if you meant it like that but your statement is hystarical.

Good Job WPFD, I work in White Plains and was on my way to work when this happened, thank you for containing a possibly very bad fire that would have ruined a few peoples day.

She couldnt hear a dump truck drive through a nitro glycerin plant!

She couldnt hear a dump truck drive through a nitro glycerin plant!

SQUIRREL!!!!

So, what tactics were used to contain the fire? Did anything other then normal firefighting strategies have to be used? This could be edumacational for all..... thanks.

<br />SQUIRREL!!!!<br /><br />So, what tactics were used to contain the fire? Did anything other then normal firefighting strategies have to be used? This could be edumacational for all..... thanks.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Edumacational?? So that's how you crotonites talk ehhh?

J/K.

Nice article on lohud. Wonderful job by WPFD!

Funny (peculiar... not ha-ha) thing about hydrogen...when it ignites, it explodes. Pure hydrogen in oxygen flame is nearly invisible to the human eye, one needs an ultra-violet detector to "see" the burning gas.

How many have those?

Funny (peculiar... not ha-ha) thing about hydrogen...when it ignites, it explodes. Pure hydrogen in oxygen flame is nearly invisible to the human eye, one needs an ultra-violet detector to "see" the burning gas.

How many have those?

I would hope White Plains did...cause that is the only Hydrogen Fueling station that I know of in Westchester, unless there are Con Ed locations around with em????

And I bet Yonkers does, but to confirm, I will check.

There is another hydrogen fueling station at the GM training facility on Saw Mill River Rd. in Hastings. GM has worked with us when this was established. The fuel is kept in cylinders on a flatbed next to the fueling compressor. It has automatic valves on the system to disperse the gas into the atmosphere and it appears to be a very safe operation.

Hydrogen will burn VERY fast and since it is the lightest gas on the element chart it rises extremely fast so basically the hydrogen burns in a flash and the remaining fire is the other materials that ignited.

I wonder if WPFD found anything different at this response then what they trained for at this facility.

Edited by steve shryock

So the Shell Hydrogen Station is the only "consumer" location in the Metro area (including Westchester), however now we know of at least 2 locations. Anyone else know of 1?

How many have those?

Thermal imagers might get you a good idea of the plume of a burning leak. Or, you can go the low-tech way...

Get a broom with a long handle and sweep it ahead of you as you move toward the suspected fire. If the broom head bursts into flames... step away. Get another broom.

I understand that the next closest fueling station is in DC.